A/C belt keeps Stretching/ Breaking by jcmiracle_man
Started on: 07-05-2013 06:09 PM
Replies: 11 (418 views)
Last post by: 85 SE VIN 9 on 07-07-2013 07:04 PM
jcmiracle_man

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jcmiracle_manSend a Private Message to jcmiracle_manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hoping someone has seen this before.

Retrofit and recharged the A/C. It's working great and the pressures are good. If I drive it hard and into the higher RPMs (Which I usually do) the belt either stretches or breaks. Usually after only a few times.
My last build, an 88 Camaro had a WOT (wide open throttle) cutout relay for the A/C. But I don't believe our fiero's do. After I replace the belt everything works fine again till next time.

Anybody dealt with this before?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would check the pulley alignment very carefully. Larry
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The higher the amount of charge the more horsepower it will take to drive the compressor. Check your high side pressures to see that they are within specs for the refrigerant that you are using. . If they are OK then check for excessive rust on the compressor pulley. Rust eats up belts.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it does it after only a couple of runs it is likely out of alignment or it is slipping and burning up. If it is aligned right then I would tighten it up. Larry
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

trotterlg

1378 posts
Member since Aug 2011
If it does it after only a couple of runs it is likely out of alignment or it is slipping and burning up. If it is aligned right then I would tighten it up. Larry
jcmiracle_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jcmiracle_manSend a Private Message to jcmiracle_manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the input. I'll check it out and get back with you tomorrow

------------------
1986 GT 17k miles

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Search the forum. There is an old post about using a different belt.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the 2.8 V6:

I recently had my AC re-charged (or whatever you call it). The garage owner was really bragging on Gates belts. He said that Gates have a higher percentage of nylon than most other belts so they stretch less. He advised me to go to O'Reilly to get one.

I had already bought the belt recommended on a thread here. I got the Dayco Top Cog 17380. It is slightly longer and wider than the stock belt so it is easier to get onto the pulleys and rides higher in the groove. Lots of people brag on Goodyear Gatorback belts. Their AC belt number is 15376.

Go to the Fierosails webpage and see how to make a pulley spreader to tighten your belts. I made a similar one. I changed the original idea and made mine so that it would not pivot. The original design allows the tool to get pushed diagonally. Mine stays perpendicular to the pulleys.

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 07-06-2013).]

jcmiracle_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jcmiracle_manSend a Private Message to jcmiracle_manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
could you link to that old post please. I have been unable to find it.

------------------
1986 GT 17k miles

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jcmiracle_man:

could you link to that old post please. I have been unable to find it.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...120111-2-108647.html

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

jcmiracle_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jcmiracle_manSend a Private Message to jcmiracle_manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fixed!!!

I think, and I'll cross my fingers. Belt alignment looks good. I checked my high side pressure; it did go up as RPMs raised. At 5000 RPM only went up to 300 psi at 80° F. So the pressure wasn't going as high as I expected.
Thanks to the info you guys provided I installed a 17380 v-belt. It fits like it's supposed to. I wonder if the 15370 is a catalog error or something after seeing how well the larger belt fits.
So after hitting some higher RPMs a few times I rechecked the belt tension and it was still good. So I think we got it licked.

Thank you guys for all your helpful input.

------------------
1986 GT 17k miles

PFF
System Bot
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you! Now I can return the 370 and exchange it for a 380.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock