Looking to re-do suspension on my '86 GT by NetCam
Started on: 07-04-2013 08:39 PM
Replies: 6 (187 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 07-05-2013 01:02 PM
NetCam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking the next thing to do on my '85 is suspension. The car is a bit 'nervous' on the highway, especially when changing lanes, and on acceleration. Would suspension be a good route to go? Looking around on eBay and found these:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3806...id=p3984.m1436.l2649

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is that a GT? How many miles? The Fierostore has the bumpsteer kit and GT springs, which are supposed to be better. I have an 85 SE and an 85 GT. The GT needs struts and shocks, it bounces badly and doesn't corner well. Tirerack has the red Koni's pretty reasonable, $518 US plus shipping for all four. The yellow Koni's are a lot more at TFS. Are you going to lower?
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, it is a GT with about 120K miles, and pretty sure the suspension is all original as was everything else on the car when I bought it except the wheels and tires. Just over $500 plus shipping sounds like a pretty good deal for all four. I don't think I'll be lowering it, at my height/age it's hard enough to get down to the current level

This weekend I am putting on new tires - Michelin 215/45/17s on Fast Reverbs.

I don't want to risk ruining the new meat so I want to do suspension and alignment pretty much right away.

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 07-04-2013).]

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Forgive me if it's all wrong, but I think the reason people lower is generally to accommodate larger wheels. Does tirerack ship to and install in Canada? One of the advantages of the Koni's is they work the same at different ride heights, unlike most shocks and struts. If you're getting tires installed, shocks, struts, and alignment at the same time would make sense.
rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tirerack will ship here but they want $195....... Ouch! Looks like I might have a line on some Monroes.

Just noticed a typo in the title, it is an '85, not an '86.

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 07-05-2013).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Considering the age of the cars we drive, the suspension bushings are probably deteriorated to the point of sloppiness. New shocks and struts will help if the units on the car now are shot, but anything else in the suspension that is sloppy or worn will have an effect on handling. The Fiero is very sensitive to improper alignment as well, but even a good alignment with a sloppy rear toe link or degraded suspension bushings will result in nervousness at highway speeds.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 07-05-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock