New CS Alternator, Battery Not Charging by nyranger6830
Started on: 07-04-2013 05:34 PM
Replies: 16 (809 views)
Last post by: nyranger6830 on 07-10-2013 03:17 PM
nyranger6830

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nyranger6830Send a Private Message to nyranger6830Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all,

Just installed a new CS alternator on my 2.8 and It wont charge the battery. This is a continuation of a battery charging problem that Ive been fighting since I had my stock alternator. The L wire is only hot with key on and S wire is hot all the time like it should be. The other wire is connected at the stud like its supposed to be. Battery is low to start since It hasn't been 100% charged since I bought it last month since the it keeps dieing from not being charged. Is there a fusible link or something that may be fried? If so, what do I look for? Im open to all suggestions.

Thanks

------------------

Fieros......Gotta Love Em!

Dawn: My 86 GT!

NEED PARTS? I GOT EM!!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure you have a good bulb in the Volt Meter

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-04-2013).]

nyranger6830

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nyranger6830Send a Private Message to nyranger6830Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking fusible link B is the cause

------------------

NEED PARTS? I GOT EM!!

rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had an issue with fusible link forever, black capsule, inside the tin connection was powdered. If you cut it open, you will blow out the oxidized crap, remake it with new inline fuse.

[This message has been edited by rourke_87_T-Top (edited 07-04-2013).]

nyranger6830

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nyranger6830Send a Private Message to nyranger6830Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
*UPDATE*

Returned my 2.8 back to stock for the weekend (Took of the supercharger) and the car ran fine and the alternator charged the battery and it never went down. So I threw the SC back on and same probelm again. Jump start and car starts at 13 volts and slowly goes down to around 8 and then it wants to give out. After i turn the car off the battery goes back to 11.75 and it stays there. Belt is tight and the clip is wired correctly as per instructions on the forum. I'm very confused! Does this have to do with a longer belt or something? I know that doesn't make any sense but thats really the only major difference. NEED HELP! haha

------------------

NEED PARTS? I GOT EM!!

[This message has been edited by nyranger6830 (edited 07-08-2013).]

trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the belt is the major difference what are the minor differences? Larry
nyranger6830

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nyranger6830Send a Private Message to nyranger6830Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trotterlg:

If the belt is the major difference what are the minor differences? Larry

Well Im using a different ECM, and I have 2 idler pulleys setup to direct the belt around the SC pulley:

------------------

NEED PARTS? I GOT EM!!

trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, if the belt turns the alternator the same direction then I would run it with the other ECM and see if it charges. Unless that big blue wire is supposed to be hooked to something important. Larry

[This message has been edited by trotterlg (edited 07-08-2013).]

nyranger6830

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nyranger6830Send a Private Message to nyranger6830Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, if the belt turns the alternator the same direction then I would run it with the other ECM and see if it charges. Unless that big blue wire is supposed to be hooked to something important. Larry

Sorry Ignore That its an Old Picture! I was in the middle of hooking stuff up at the time haha

------------------

NEED PARTS? I GOT EM!!

trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, lets see....................only one thing different and one way works and one way does not work. what could it be?????????????????????
nyranger6830

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nyranger6830Send a Private Message to nyranger6830Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So, lets see....................only one thing different and one way works and one way does not work. what could it be?????????????????????

Dude spare me the jokes OK. Obviously when I posted this I couldve answered my own question if the problem was that simple.
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I am old and some things seem simple to me, but I guess this is a complicated problem I just too old to understand fully. Larry
nyranger6830

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nyranger6830Send a Private Message to nyranger6830Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, I am old and some things seem simple to me, but I guess this is a complicated problem I just too old to understand fully. Larry

OK then Larry what exactly is your conclusion?

------------------

NEED PARTS? I GOT EM!!

trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well you say you change one thing, the computer, with one computer the car charges, with the ohter it does not. Now either one computer works and the other does not or you are mistaken about what changes were made. If every thing is the same except the computer then I would say it is the problem. But then I am old and drink a lot. Larry
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What ECM are you using? The 2.8 ECM does not control the alternator regulator. The charging system is internally regulated. Are you sure you have IGN voltage on L?
nyranger6830

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nyranger6830Send a Private Message to nyranger6830Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

What ECM are you using? The 2.8 ECM does not control the alternator regulator. The charging system is internally regulated. Are you sure you have IGN voltage on L?

Yes I double checked today and voltage on L with key on

------------------

NEED PARTS? I GOT EM!!

nyranger6830

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nyranger6830Send a Private Message to nyranger6830Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I changed the battery today and now the battery stays at 12 volts the whole time at idle. Its great that on and off, the battery holds a constant voltage. But unlike any typical alternator, the battery is not at around 13-14 volts at idle. Its like the alternator is half working or something?

------------------

NEED PARTS? I GOT EM!!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay