Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  I can't keep it up (The passenger visor - You perv)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
I can't keep it up (The passenger visor - You perv) by 2002z28ssconv
Started on: 07-04-2013 12:01 PM
Replies: 4 (197 views)
Last post by: fierogtlt1 on 07-04-2013 10:06 PM
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay well I see I got your attention. Happy Independence Day to all! Rather than cutting the grass or cleaning the house, I'm declaring INDEPENDANCE from my wife's "list" by planting myself in front of the computer and being lazy.

I was cleaning earlier and found a set of visors that I was going to have my mom recover for me... which got me thinking... I should redo them. Maybe put a custom design in them too.
Mom passed away this past Christmas Eve and I have her sewing & embroidery stuff now.

But what I'm wanting to ask the Fiero Collective is this...
The passenger visor in my 88 GT has always "popped" down from its clip spot in the center by the mirror. I have replaced the visor with a set my mom did make for me last year. The driver side is fine. The passenger side still pops down.
So that's two sets of visors that do the same thing. I have tried a third passenger visor and it did the same thing too.

Is this common? Is there a usual cause? What do you think? The mount on the roof didn't look bent when I replaced the headliner. The visor isn't too fat like the padding gets if you recover them with thick foam backed material. It just seems to be gravity causing it to fall. When it does pop out the visor also swings down. So the passenger in my car ALWAYS has the visor deployed even if they don't want it.

Can the visor's internal bar be positioned differently and cause this (or cure it)?

I never rule out the possibility that I have screwed something up myself...

Uhoh! The wife's coming! Look busy!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to take mine apart and replace the rubber cap on the end that snaps into the dome light housing because it was shrunk by years of being in the sun.Or the plastic insert that goes into the visor core in the middle of the rod is broken.

[This message has been edited by fierogtlt1 (edited 07-04-2013).]

NetCam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Both sides on mine are doing the same thing, and I think it's because the rubber on the end has shrunk so it's not tight enough anymore. Where does one find replacements?
armos

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The problem on my driver side got worse after I had pulled off the visor. I remember the mounting post seemed very stiff. So I wondered if the problem had to do with the mounting post being turned downward (during removal/installation), and then not ever getting back up quite as horizontal as it had been before. I get the feeling that when popping the visor in or out of the slot, it's only tweaking the visor and not really moving the post any. That post is much stiffer than the visor, at least on my car.
So if that's true, then the post constantly puts tension on the visor trying to pull the rubber thing out of the slot.
I'm sure the rubber thing being worn down doesn't help either. If somebody knows specs for a replacement part, that would be awesome.
fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NetCam:

Both sides on mine are doing the same thing, and I think it's because the rubber on the end has shrunk so it's not tight enough anymore. Where does one find replacements?

Just go to your nearest auto parts store to the Motormite,Dorman or Help section to get the rubber caps.The size is 5/16" but I already tossed the package.

[This message has been edited by fierogtlt1 (edited 07-04-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock