water coming from footwell.... by whiteandnerdy27
Started on: 07-03-2013 11:57 PM
Replies: 7 (179 views)
Last post by: Tha Driver on 07-04-2013 04:27 AM
whiteandnerdy27

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whiteandnerdy27Send a Private Message to whiteandnerdy27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sooooo, im not 100% sure where it is originating. when it has been sitting out in the heavy rain, i get this little stream from the drivers side footwell around the pedal box area. it really sucks because a lot of water got in the other night and its starting to smell a bit funky. it even got to the point of seeping up through my seats (suede....) i got in there with a hair dryer and lots of towels,and have it pretty much dried out now, but im just hoping that it doesnt continue. any thoughts? its not coming from the floor its self.

[This message has been edited by whiteandnerdy27 (edited 07-03-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whiteandnerdy27:

i got in there with a hair dryer and lots of towels,and have it pretty much dried out now, but im just hoping that it doesnt continue. any thoughts?

Arizona doesn't get much rain.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 07-04-2013).]

92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sooooo, im not 100% sure where it is originating. when it has been sitting out in the heavy rain, i get this little stream from the drivers side footwell around the pedal box area. it really sucks because a lot of water got in the other night and its starting to smell a bit funky. it even got to the point of seeping up through my seats (suede....) i got in there with a hair dryer and lots of towels,and have it pretty much dried out now, but im just hoping that it doesnt continue. any thoughts? its not coming from the floor its self.

Almost certainly a leaky windshield seal....I had that happen in both of my trucks ....both in the same place you describe...both leaky windshield seals....and make sure you take care of it....it can jack up your fuse block
whiteandnerdy27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whiteandnerdy27Send a Private Message to whiteandnerdy27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the plastic cowling under the front hood, on the drivers side recently lost a little tab and is lifting up slightly. might this be the culprit? there is nowhere else that i can think of that would be leaky. then you look under the cowling that is lifted up, i can see the edge of the windshield seal. i had a feeling this might be it. if i hit that with a small length of duct tape as a temporary solution, do you think i will work? at least for a week? its form following function until i can get the proper fix.
whiteandnerdy27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whiteandnerdy27Send a Private Message to whiteandnerdy27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

whiteandnerdy27

70 posts
Member since Mar 2012

the potential leaky bits

with the cowling lifted up...
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

the plastic cowling under the front hood, on the drivers side recently lost a little tab and is lifting up slightly. might this be the culprit? there is nowhere else that i can think of that would be leaky. then you look under the cowling that is lifted up, i can see the edge of the windshield seal. i had a feeling this might be it. if i hit that with a small length of duct tape as a temporary solution, do you think i will work? at least for a week? its form following function until i can get the proper fix.

You would probably have to put the duct tape under the cowling (that is probably what you were saying anyway). BTW my cowling lifts up like that but mine doesn't leak so it is likely that the leak is in windshield seal right there. So put the tape in that area

BTW .I sold a 69 Firebird Convertible that I had for a long time (about 12-13 years in fact). The way the back of the top is designed, the water from a rain storm drains into the trunk...in the truck is a plastic gutter that catches this water and routes it out of the car over the wheel wells . Why am I telling you this? Because I discovered that the gutter leaked the first time I drove it in the rain ....about a week or so after I bought it. When I realized what the deal was I used duct tape to make a "temporary" repair. That duct tape was still there 13 years later when I sold the car. Duct tape is awesome!

[This message has been edited by 92wastheyear (edited 07-04-2013).]

whiteandnerdy27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whiteandnerdy27Send a Private Message to whiteandnerdy27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah thats just the thing, it looks like there is no seal under it. so i guess i will try that... there is one other minor place on the top drivers side corner of the windshield where the seal looks a little iffy, but that has been there since i bought the car a little over a year ago.

[This message has been edited by whiteandnerdy27 (edited 07-04-2013).]

Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 04:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

yeah thats just the thing, it looks like there is no seal under it. so i guess i will try that... there is one other minor place on the top drivers side corner of the windshield where the seal looks a little iffy, but that has been there since i bought the car a little over a year ago.

I think what you're calling a "seal" is just the trim. It should seal even if that's completely missing. The windshield seals under the glass - there is a good possibility that's where it's leaking. Other than that, it would have to be leaking through the cowl area; is it rusty at all there (under the black plastic cowl trim)? If not, then it's probably the windshield. You can check it by duck taping the windshield, & hose it down & see if it still leaks.
HTH,
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay