Minimum sensors to run by trotterlg
Started on: 07-03-2013 11:12 PM
Replies: 3 (119 views)
Last post by: trotterlg on 07-04-2013 12:27 AM
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, here is the deal. I have this 3100 running with a carb. No O2 sensor, no EGR, no crank sensor, in fact the only sensors on the engine are the temp sensor at the thermostat housing and the oil pressure sensor in it's normal location. It does have the spedo sensor on the transmission but that is not on the engine. I have a fuel pressure regulator to get the fuel pressure down to 3 psi for the carb, I think I need to know what to do with the other connections, like jump them? leave them hang? anything to trick the car into running with this setup. I kind of think it will throw some codes, but all I want it to do is run the fule pump and it would be nice if the tach worked as well as the oil pressure and the temp gauge. Any suggestions? Anyone done this? For those who haven't seen the setup here is a little video: PS, it has points in the distributator.

video 3100

[This message has been edited by trotterlg (edited 07-03-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have a carburetor and points ignition, you shouldn't need the ECM. So get rid of it. The remaining sensors (for the gauges) don't need the ECM.

Your only concern would be powering the fuel pump. And you can address that by splicing into an ignition power source.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't wire the fuel pump directly to the ignition switch, it's just not safe.

You have to retain the oil pressure sender anyways so just use the fuel pump power contacts to send power to the coil of your stock fuel pump relay. That way you are not sending higher current through the switch.

Then if you do have a crash, your fuel pump won't be running much longer than after the engine dies.

trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, this is making sence, I could put a diode in the line from the starter solonoid to trigger the fuel pump relay, but the engine would probably start with the fuel in the carb long enough to get oil pressure up, so that may not be really necessary. What kind of signal does the tach get? and how about the spedo?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock