Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  How do I find and Fix a bad exhaust leak?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How do I find and Fix a bad exhaust leak? by FieroGT-987
Started on: 07-03-2013 12:33 AM
Replies: 7 (344 views)
Last post by: armos on 07-04-2013 01:09 AM
FieroGT-987

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1987 Fiero GT and it has a very bad exhast leak. I cannot seem to find where it is. Should I take it to a muffler shop and see if they can find and fix it? It might be by the manifold im guessing..? How much does this usually cost? Am i better off just replacing the whole exhast system and/or manifold? Thanks i appreciate it!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
msrservices

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for msrservicesClick Here to visit msrservices's HomePageSend a Private Message to msrservicesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can take it to a muffler shop, and they should be able to at least find the problem.

Check the manifold near the firewall. I just had to replace that on my '87 GT.

If the manifold is cracked, it may be expensive to have the muffler shop to replace it.
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 03:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is sometimes the cause.

emerican51

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 04:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for emerican51Send a Private Message to emerican51Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Mitch. I had my manifold gaskets blow out on me not to long ago, and if it is them, I'd change them both at the same time. If one blows the other is about to.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 05:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by msrservices:

Check the manifold near the firewall. I just had to replace that on my '87 GT.

I have replaced mine 2x
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup... could be a broken manifold, broken bolt(s) or bad exhaust gasket.

Pain to change, sometimes. I had to pull the heads as I had bolts break.
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check this out. These are $0.19 gaskets for a VW that fit great and are a lot less than $25 at the part store. For 6 delivered to my door, it cost me a grand total of $3.33

$0.19 EDIT: Rockauto part BECK/ARNLEY - 0396098

$24.99

armos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you suck some Seafoam into a vacuum port, let it sit then start it back up, the smoke can reveal the leak.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock