Where 2 buy a dimmer switch?? by wickedjester
Started on: 07-01-2013 11:15 PM
Replies: 14 (368 views)
Last post by: 85 SE VIN 9 on 07-03-2013 11:31 PM
wickedjester

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wickedjesterSend a Private Message to wickedjesterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been looking everywhere for the dimmer roller thats right under the headlight switch but cant find one. Anyone know where to buy one of these?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First See my Cave, Dash Dimmer
Could be transistor is bad, not dimmer wheel.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 05:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pm sent
wickedjester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wickedjesterSend a Private Message to wickedjesterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info. I traced it back to the dimmer controller, when i took it apart the board that the contacts slide on was all burned up so i guess the next question is, is it ok to just bypass this until i can get one or is that a bad idea?
-PaulJK- PM returned
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dimmer wheel burned? likely transistor is bad too.

Both are available new... Wells, BWD, ACDelco
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BTW, get AC Delco...
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Dimmer wheel burned? likely transistor is bad too.

Both are available new... Wells, BWD, ACDelco

Both sold separately I assume.

BTW Not to hijack the thread. My dimmer switch, which should adjust the dash lights, doesn't. Does that sound like a bad resistor, to you guys? Not a big priority, because the dash light are bright enough at this point but still I would like to get them going sometime

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 92wastheyear:
Both sold separately I assume.

BTW Not to hijack the thread. My dimmer switch, which should adjust the dash lights, doesn't. Does that sound like a bad resistor, to you guys? Not a big priority, because the dash light are bright enough at this point but still I would like to get them going sometime

yes.

sounds like someone bypassed the transistor because wheel or transistor has problems
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

yes.

sounds like someone bypassed the transistor because wheel or transistor has problems

For what it is worth, the wheel still works to turn on the dome lights...is that still consistent with the transistor being bypassed?
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 92wastheyear:
For what it is worth, the wheel still works to turn on the dome lights...is that still consistent with the transistor being bypassed?

Yes. That is normal. Dome light is a different circuit and uses B & C terminals on the wheel.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 07-03-2013).]

92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes. That is normal. Dome light is a different circuit and uses B & C terminals on the wheel.

Thank you sir! You and your site have been a hell of resource as I re-acquaint my self with these cool little cars

PFF
System Bot
wickedjester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wickedjesterSend a Private Message to wickedjesterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Every place ive contacted about the dimmer wheel has said its discontinued thats y I was thinking of just bypassing it by soldering in a resister at the brightness I like
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wickedjester:

Every place ive contacted about the dimmer wheel has said its discontinued thats y I was thinking of just bypassing it by soldering in a resister at the brightness I like

Do you not have the wheel at all?

Here is one on ebay

[This message has been edited by 92wastheyear (edited 07-03-2013).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can use any "normal" resistor with a transistor...
W/o a transistor, the resistor must pass more power and need watts.

Technically, the SM, Haynes, etc, cave included, miss a "small" detail...

The dial has two resistors and only one of them is used to dim the lights. The second resistor, the black area in the middle of the printed circuit, goes to the ground on B terminal. The ground means the dial is using a "voltage divider" set up and the circuit is a bit more complicated than we all think.

Can you use normal fix or variable resistors to control the transistor without the OE part? Yes most definitely but how you do it does take more time. First just Google or Wiki: Voltage divider

I didn't know until last year when I made this picture. I'll update the cave article very soon with the more accurate schematic.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.summitracing.com...el/fiero?prefilter=1

http://www.autozone.com/aut...er-Switch/_/N-9cio4?

I see the Summit Racing link won't work right now on my computer, but that one actually looks right. The autozone one at the link above doesn't look right, but if you look at autozone you will probably find one that does. It was an "also viewed." I knew I had come across them a number of times. I'm sure they are out there. I think JC Whitney has them, but I often have trouble with their site and especially links to it.

[This message has been edited by 85 SE VIN 9 (edited 07-04-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock