Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Engine tries to die when I come to a stop. please help!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Engine tries to die when I come to a stop. please help! by FieroGT-987
Started on: 07-01-2013 12:55 AM
Replies: 10 (252 views)
Last post by: mitchjl22 on 07-03-2013 02:16 PM
FieroGT-987

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone please help me. My 1987 Fiero GT runs amazing, but when I come to a complete stop it runs rough and tries to die. Reverse works fine, but today i switched it to reverse and it just died..? Started it back up and it was fine then. Anyone ever experience this or have any ideas whats wrong!? Thanks?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try the following in the following order

1 - Check for a carbon blocked EGR valve hanging open. Remove the EGR valve and inspect the pintle and the seat the pintle seats into. Clean out the carbon. Make sure the pintle slides easily so it can fully closed. If the EGR valve is hanging open you will have a rough idle.

2 - Replace all 6 (that means including the front three) spark plugs if you have never done so.
FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks phonedawgz. That helped. Can you please describe how to get the valves. And where they are and what they look like? Thanks!
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wondering if this is TCC related?
FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE:: okay so I cleaned out the valve, it turns out the previous owner(s) blocked off the EGR Valve for some odd reason. So i unblocked it, cleaned the valve out, and put it back on. It has fresh spark plugs too. But still runs a little choppy. Any help is appreciated!
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look at the EGR tube also. It can fill with crud, depending on how the system was blocked.
FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which tube? The thicker silver one, or the tiny black one that slides on the top of the valve
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The tiny black one is vacuum, it is the big silver one that gets clogged up. Larry
FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks larry, should I just spray something down the hose? If so what? Thanks guys! (Im new to this car stuff if you couldnt tell lol)
Carrolles

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will it idle at all? I not you might check the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) to see if is giving eroneous readings at the closed throttle position.
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a clogged EGR Pipe

I took off the upper intake to get it off easier and clean it.

If you choose to take off the upper plenum. You may want to get some new gaskets, and here's the torque order when putting everything back.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock