Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  What is this noise? Sounds like the clutch.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What is this noise? Sounds like the clutch. by sspeedstreet
Started on: 06-30-2013 07:32 PM
Replies: 7 (442 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 07-18-2013 04:22 PM
sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3.4 DOHC, Getrag 5-speed, Spec II disc and pressure plate, Fidenza aluminum flywheel. It's hard to tell if it does it in gear, too much car, road and wind noise. It doesn't affect operation of the car. In fact I drove it 300 miles last weekend including some short periods of 90 + mph. No better or worse when I got home. It can't be good, whatever it is.

Any ideas?

Neil
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is this the dreaded Spec sprung hub problem?

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-2-086132.html

Would that make all this noise?
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just an observation, but it sure seems that Spec has way more problems with with what they sell than any other clutch people that are posted about here. If you look at pictures of their product you will also find identical pictures from other "makers" of clutches. I am kind of thinking they simply buy componetnts, mark them as their own, and sell them off at preium prices. I know no one wants to admit that they were taken or bought junk, but just look at the track record before you plunk down the big bucks to buy something probably from China. Don't flame me, just think about it for a minute and look at some of the pictures. Larry
sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree concerning the Spec problems. That's why I immediately thought of the clutch when I started focusing on the noise. The swap doesn't have many miles on it, maybe 1200 miles (over a two year period). When I Googled "Spec clutch noise" I got a lot of hits, but all seemed to be from 2005-2007. Maybe they cleaned up their act.

I've also been searching "Getrag rattle" and there's a lot of hits! People with every make of car have posted in forums about a rattling noise in neutral with the clutch engaged. One thing that makes it much worse is a lightweight flywheel and I have one.

I guess I'll just learn to live with it.

Neil
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you've heard that noise from the start, its the Getrag rattle.

If you haven't, it's a loose flywheel....

I gave up on the Fidanzas after mine came loose 2 or 3 times. The aluminum cold flows creeps under the bolt heads and they come loose. If there was a steel spreader plate on there it might work.

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 04-20-2015).]

sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:

If you've heard that noise from the start, its the Getrag rattle.

If you haven't, it's a loose flywheel....

I gave up on the Fidanzas after mine came loose 2 or 3 times. The aluminum cold flows under the bolt heads and they come loose. If there was a steel spreader plate on there it might work.

Ding, Ding, Ding. The man wins a cigar. That was the sound of a loose flywheel.

[This message has been edited by sspeedstreet (edited 07-17-2013).]

aaronkoch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OOps. wrong spot. ignore this.

[This message has been edited by aaronkoch (edited 07-17-2013).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trotterlg:

Just an observation, but it sure seems that Spec has way more problems with with what they sell than any other clutch people that are posted about here. If you look at pictures of their product you will also find identical pictures from other "makers" of clutches. I am kind of thinking they simply buy componetnts, mark them as their own, and sell them off at preium prices. I know no one wants to admit that they were taken or bought junk, but just look at the track record before you plunk down the big bucks to buy something probably from China. Don't flame me, just think about it for a minute and look at some of the pictures. Larry

We've seen the Spec's rattle first hand. The quality of that clutch is inconsistent. They are assembled in the USA but almost certainly made from questionable Chinese components. When you are lucky and get a good one they tend to be very good but when you get a bad one they are very bad. Trouble is that you don't know what you will get with this brand.
Overall from what we've seen the Spec quality control is poor, their customer service sucks, their customer service rep is a snot nose arrogant finger pointing jerk and the product, is overpriced. The Spec problems are reported on many of the Mustang and Import forums as well, so this is not unique to Fieros.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock