3800 Modified Thermostat housing by 86GTFastback
Started on: 06-30-2013 11:48 AM
Replies: 3 (834 views)
Last post by: MstangsBware on 06-30-2013 07:20 PM
86GTFastback

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GTFastbackSend a Private Message to 86GTFastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will start, I did some searching and that's how I found a couple options that I have exhausted.

I have a modified Fiero housing from Friendofyours, I believe there is already a thread on their stuff. I can't get this thing to seal. I don't like to just throwing form-a-gasket on something as it feels more like duct-tape fix but I'm out of options, so I thought I'd ask you guys. I tried a Fiero thermostat housing gasket, 3800 N/A gasket, and a hollowed out 3800 thermostat with the rubber seal around it. The leaking got progressively better, but it still there. Anyone else have any ideas?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
86soon3.4

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Take the housing off and put a straight edge across the bolt holes of the mounting surface of the housing.
I will bet it is warped from over-tightening. You will need to straighten it, then install a gasket with a little
RTV sealant of both sides and snug it up. After a day or so check the bolts and tighten them if loose.

I have a 3800sc and I have had NO leaks from mine.

Steve
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A solution might be to make your own gasket out of the thickest gasket material you can find, plus a bead of rtv (nothing wrong with using rtv). Another thing is check your tstat bolts to make sure they bottom out further than the tstat manifold, it might just not be clamping.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - (pending L67 swap: VS cam, GenV) Build Progress eta: 8/13
98 GTP - Some mods

[This message has been edited by sco77 (edited 06-30-2013).]

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GTFastback:

I will start, I did some searching and that's how I found a couple options that I have exhausted.

I have a modified Fiero housing from Friendofyours, I believe there is already a thread on their stuff. I can't get this thing to seal. I don't like to just throwing form-a-gasket on something as it feels more like duct-tape fix but I'm out of options, so I thought I'd ask you guys. I tried a Fiero thermostat housing gasket, 3800 N/A gasket, and a hollowed out 3800 thermostat with the rubber seal around it. The leaking got progressively better, but it still there. Anyone else have any ideas?

Sounds like the mounting base on the housing is not flat. Use a 3800 NA gasket with a coat of black RTV on both sides on the gasket. That will stop it from leaking and not really be considered a bandaid fix.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock