Make Aftermarket Stereo Flush by chorcob
Started on: 06-28-2013 05:22 PM
Replies: 29 (1654 views)
Last post by: LornesGT on 07-24-2013 08:07 PM
chorcob

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chorcobSend a Private Message to chorcobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want to get a aftermarket stereo that will need a adapter so it won't stick out and look like crap. I've seen one before that says Pontiac Fiero on it and is just a flat piece the stereo goes in, but I can not find it anymore. Can someone give me a a link to this stereo adapter/surround?

------------------
Unconditional Surrender

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
humount.com is the site you are looking for, I have one and like it very much.

http://maptechenterprises.c...cc69e939d57337fa9eb3

Hywel
chorcob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chorcobSend a Private Message to chorcobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you very much this is exactly what I was looking for, and yes they do look very cool.

------------------
Unconditional Surrender

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Be aware that there is a reason for the radio sticking out. It isn't just because of the mounting face. There is a steel bracket at the rear of the radio slot that may have to be removed for the radio to sit flush in the dash. I don't know if this bracket is in all years of Fieros but in my '87, it was there.
Ang84Indy

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ang84IndySend a Private Message to Ang84IndyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMSA GT, the bracket you are talking about was in my 84. I guess those brackets are used in all years.
chorcob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chorcobSend a Private Message to chorcobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Somebody already had a aftermarket stereo in mine so there is no bracket at all.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bracket in the back is why most aftermarket radios have to stick out so far because the single DIN units are deeper. Pretty sure the bracket was in all years, I cut mine out so I could get my new unit to sit flush.

I messed up a bit cutting the bezel, but I'm hoping to repair it soon.

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 06-28-2013).]

zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea I bought a kit by Metra from Best Buy and I cut that bracket out that stops the radio from being flush
chorcob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chorcobSend a Private Message to chorcobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NetCam:

The bracket in the back is why most aftermarket radios have to stick out so far because the single DIN units are deeper. Pretty sure the bracket was in all years, I cut mine out so I could get my new unit to sit flush.

I messed up a bit cutting the bezel, but I'm hoping to repair it soon.

Is that a 1.5 DIN stereo?

------------------
Unconditional Surrender

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a double DIN, which is why I had to lose all the trim that used to separate the radio from the heater controls. I'm hoping I can melt/glue some of the pieces I trimmed off back in place, then will try vinyl wrapping to hide the seams.

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 06-28-2013).]

chorcob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chorcobSend a Private Message to chorcobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would've liked to get a 1.5 DIN but those can get pricey so I think I'll get a JVC kd-x200 and make a faceplate/adapter for it. Too cheap to pay $65 for one.

------------------
Unconditional Surrender

PFF
System Bot
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got another bezel (Thanks rourke_87_T-Top!) and took my time and did it right. It's amazing how much easier it was with the old one to use as a guide to where I messed up!

For the adapter, I bought this one off of eBay and just turfed the wiring harness part, cost me $18 and I thought it trimmed it up nicely:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Radi...20273&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 07-22-2013).]

fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am in the process of making new center console skeletons with the option of having a Double DIN opening for the customers who want it instead of the regular opening.Even the option of having the A/C
Heater control on the bottom and the radio on the top.
fieroseblack

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroseblackSend a Private Message to fieroseblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogtlt1:

I am in the process of making new center console skeletons with the option of having a Double DIN opening for the customers who want it instead of the regular opening.Even the option of having the A/C
Heater control on the bottom and the radio on the top.

I like that idea. Is there enough slack in the blend door control arm/rod to allow for the move to the bottom?

Mike Parker
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The radio on top would make sooooo much sense. With it down so low, the shifter is almost always in the way of seeing the radio if you drive a stick. It was even worse with my old single DIN aftermarket setup where the head unit stuck out almost 2" from the bezel. I'm sure there will be a lot of folks interested, I certainly would have been before I did mine.
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am making a adapter to extend the length to the plug.
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierogtlt1

1006 posts
Member since Jul 2012

The radio on top would make sooooo much sense. With it down so low, the shifter is almost always in the way of seeing the radio if you drive a stick. It was even worse with my old single DIN aftermarket setup where the head unit stuck out almost 2" from the bezel. I'm sure there will be a lot of folks interested, I certainly would have been before I did mine.

Sorry..I didn't mean to highjack your thread,but I have this listed in General Fiero Chat under Gauging Interest...Center Console Skeleton.

[This message has been edited by fierogtlt1 (edited 07-22-2013).]

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't think you're hijacking at all! The OP was looking for ways to make his stereo flush which is what I've been working at as well, and it sounds like your skeleton would certainly do just that. If this post helps people out, it's doing the job
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Don't think you're hijacking at all! The OP was looking for ways to make his stereo flush which is what I've been working at as well, and it sounds like your skeleton would certainly do just that. If this post helps people out, it's doing the job

Why thank you very much.

chorcob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chorcobSend a Private Message to chorcobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Netcam, that looks pretty nice.

------------------
Leedle, Leedle, Leedle, Lee!
Patrick Star
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM6sTtQeavI

FTF Engineering

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The radio on top would make sooooo much sense.

I agree and that's what I did.
PFF
System Bot
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what's the skinny? The heat a/c controls and mounting?

Originally posted by FTF Engineering:

I agree and that's what I did.

Robertzep2

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robertzep2Send a Private Message to Robertzep2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok, what is the HVAC controls out of??? Please share, out of what, and how?

[This message has been edited by Robertzep2 (edited 07-22-2013).]

FTF Engineering

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The climate control is out of a Nissan 240SX. Late eighties to early nineties IIRC. Here's what I was looking for...

Push button mode control.
Cable controlled temp slider.
Separate A/C button control that I could use in any mode.
Separate Recirc/Fresh air source control that I could use in any mode.
Compact enough to fit where the original control was installed.

The 240SX was the best option I cold find.

It's a full custom rewire of the 240SX board and includes a stub of a spare Fiero control so that it's plug and play into the Fiero connector. But on the 240SX board, it's a tangle of wires going every which way! Did the install probably fifteen years ago and the details are fading...
Robertzep2

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robertzep2Send a Private Message to Robertzep2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The climate control is out of a Nissan 240SX. Late eighties to early nineties IIRC. Here's what I was looking for...

Thanks! That said, I see the Nissan text on it now.
ProjectPb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ProjectPbSend a Private Message to ProjectPbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
how hard would it be to do this

Very fast edit i can do better lol

[This message has been edited by ProjectPb (edited 07-23-2013).]

fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ProjectPb:

I'm making new console skeleton's and any configuration is possible with the right wiring and re-routing a/c ducts.
My Fiero, when done will have 3 round A/C vents coming out of the top of the center stack,then the volts/oil gauges at the top,then stereo,and the A/C heater control on the bottom.

LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did the install probably fifteen years ago and the details are fading...

You are falling fast asleep, when You read the word Fiero you will be hypnotize and remember everything.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ProjectPb:

Although getting the head unit to the top of the stack would be desirable, I think it would be the toughest given the routing of the ducts. I'd be happy just to get it into 2nd spot

Would really like to see a good mock-up of the 3 round vents with the radio moved to the middle.

I got this far, will try the round vents next!

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 07-24-2013).]

LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My plan eventually or I should say hopefully is to bring the vent out of the dash in place of the gauges and place gauges were the vent are. I don't have any idea if it's possible.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock