Started on: 06-12-2013 10:45 AM
Replies: 66 (1879 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 04-16-2016 04:04 PM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2013 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TG oreiF 8891:

I have a corvette power steering rack in my 88GT..

One side of the rack uses the stock 1988 rack mount while the other side I had to cut off the stock mount and weld on a custom bracket. The rack has a shorter overall length, so rack extenders were made to lengthen it and change the threads to accept stock Fiero inner tie-rods.

It sounds like a nice setup, but I think more people would move to power steering if they could order a "bolt-on PS rack" that fits the mounts and column (Unisteer can make that) and the only other thing they need to do is add a pump somewhere - either a regular one on the engine or an electric setup as you have. I know for me, it's all that extra dicking around to make a PS rack fit that has kept me from doing this.

The closest thing to a `ready to go`system is West Coast Fiero`s
http://www.westcoastfiero.c..._pinion_convert.html

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 06-15-2013).]

IP: Logged
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2013 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont know if I can wait that long. LOL

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 06-15-2013).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2013 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

Darn Fierosound you got the last rack from carsteering wholesalers. LOL

Now I get to start all over again.

http://www.remanbids.com/au...on&auction_id=112019

http://www.buyautoparts.com...l_Steering_Rack.html

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2013 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

http://www.remanbids.com/au...on&auction_id=112019

http://www.buyautoparts.com...l_Steering_Rack.html

Reman bids has carsteering which is were you are getting yours and we know you got the last one for awhile.
I have contacted buyautoparts and waiting for reply.
I have contacted others also.
Thanks for the heads up

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 06-15-2013).]

mark1970

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2013 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mark1970Send a Private Message to mark1970Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
solotwo, can you just replace the bearings and inner tie rods to fix yours? is is it broke?
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2013 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found out Rare Parts uses Atsco racks. ......................... And the search continues
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2013 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002
So Atsco has a bad reputation and most here on the forum do not care for Cadone, choices are running out. Carsteering racks are currently out of stock.
Checking buyparts to see whose rack they use.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 06-17-2013).]

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2013 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Rack doctor wants almost $600 for a reman. Thats high

zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2013 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This seems like a lot of effort. I would check the mall for someone parting out a fiero, or take your rack apart and see if it is the issue. I understand it does not have much that can wear. You might find the problem is somewhere else or easily fixed
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2013 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found a reman from Steering Gear Superstore in Indy.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2013 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wait a minute, you can find a 84-87 Fiero steering rack??

There should be a "dime a dozen" out there. Don't tell me that they are becoming absolete??

Maybe after all this time looking for one, you should of just bought Rodney's bushing,
inner and outter tie-rods, boots, (if you need new ones) and grease to rebuild.

Actually, I'm suprised.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2013 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

Wait a minute, you can find a 84-87 Fiero steering rack??

There should be a "dime a dozen" out there. Don't tell me that they are becoming absolete??

Maybe after all this time looking for one, you should of just bought Rodney's bushing,
inner and outter tie-rods, boots, (if you need new ones) and grease to rebuild.

Actually, I'm suprised.

It is my DD and I do not have the time.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2013 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero rack is not hard to rebuild. Most often its just a worn rack bushing. A quality replacement with a precise fit can be purchased from Rodney Dickman. In rare cases the pinion bearing and needle bearing need replacement. While this is rare they are standard parts and can be found at any bearing house or online. After getting some pretty crappy "rebuilt" racks from Cardone, we decided to do all future racks in house. If you ever go to a parts rebuilder take a look at the people hired to do the rebuilding work. Rebuilders use cheap, unskilled ignorant labor.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2013 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hard is not a problem! I have replaced racks in the 88 I used to have. The key word is TIME I dont have any to tear apart a rack that more than likely is original with over 200k on it and has issues. I expect to see tons of rust on it. The car has a front mount battery which will have to be removed, then cables, then the tub etc. At the same time I plan on addressing the left front lower ball joint which will require taking the lower control arm off and taking it to shop to have the old press out and new pressed in. All in a day. I will have to take the wife to work so that I will have her car so I can run the control arm to the auto place and later pick her up.

This is a daily driver.

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2013 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

The Fiero rack is not hard to rebuild. Most often its just a worn rack bushing. A quality replacement with a precise fit can be purchased from Rodney Dickman. In rare cases the pinion bearing and needle bearing need replacement. While this is rare they are standard parts and can be found at any bearing house or online. After getting some pretty crappy "rebuilt" racks from Cardone, we decided to do all future racks in house. If you ever go to a parts rebuilder take a look at the people hired to do the rebuilding work. Rebuilders use cheap, unskilled ignorant labor.

And that's true was Dennis is mentioning. Back in the 70s and 80s, mostly all shops had skilled and experianced workers.
They enjoyed what they did, and knew what they were doing. These folks are all retired now.
Those guys were payed almost a decent salery. Kids today have no skill and most importantly have no interest.
They rather use their to thumbs texting and spending 14 hours a day on Facebook.

Big problems are comming. For 10 years now we get cheap labour with cheap re-built parts.
I guess it takes one god damn accoutant to see profits are sky-high that way.
As for them, they don't care about good quality parts, all they care is the dollar at the end of the day.
If I could I'd shoot them all in the a$$.

I rather re-built something myself any day, than buying a cheap chinese part.
Then if it breaks, you can only blame yourself.
In-house is the way to go !!!

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

[This message has been edited by fierogt28 (edited 06-17-2013).]

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2013 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do not disagree with you, I agree. I understand, but I do not have the time. I need stuff that "plugs & plays". Now if you wanna come on down to Grand Rapids and help me that would be great, I would then tear it apart and rebuild the bad rack. but it is not practical for many reasons.

Thanks for the insight
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 05:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The key word is TIME I dont have any to tear apart a rack that more than likely is original with over 200k on it and has issues.

The problem is there are no new racks or pinions (I'm talking about the internal parts). All the rebuilder can do is replace the passenger side bushing and pinion bearings if they are bad. A new pinion seal. Maybe new inner tie rods and maybe some paint. That is what a rebuilt rack is. An old rack that is freshened up but still has the original rack and pinion in it. It could have 200k on it before they freshen it up. A true rebuild rack would have a new rack and pinion in it. The biggest problem is 99% of the wear on the rack and pinion is in the straight ahead driving position. Generally a rack rebuilder will not reuse a rack that has significant wear in the middle of the rack. This is probably why rebuilt units are getting more rare. Finding not so worn out cores is getting difficult now.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Rodney, in my opinion my rack isnt worth rebuilding. I understand what you are saying. In this case TIME is the driving factor for purchasing a reman.

Thanks for sending my tie rod ends, I hope they show up real soon.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 06-18-2013).]

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Ok I cancelled the order with Steering Rack Superstore and got a used one.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK - I got the rack from Car Steering - looked good and seems OK.
I installed it with new tie rod ends from Dickman, and everything went together and felt OK - as it should.
I got it aligned today. It works great. Light effort, good feel etc.

BUT... this is where we get killed when these parts are no longer available in Canada and we have to US source.

This rack to a US customer - $195 +$100 core charge that you get back when you return the core.
Shipping TO you is FREE and you get a FREE return shipping label to send it back. End cost is $195

My cost - $195 +$100 core charge +$52 UPS shipping +$20 UPS wants COD at the door.
I then also have to pay $64 to send it back for my $100 core charge!! End cost is $331
And if they deem the core "not rebuildable" I just wasted $64.

This rack better outlive me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-06-2013).]

DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2013 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All this goes to show you. If a guy goes after a nice rack, it usually ends up costing him a lot!

------------------
84 NB, 3800SC, E-85, VS Cam, 3.0 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -12.05 at 111.7mph

PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2013 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DimeMachine:

All this goes to show you. If a guy goes after a nice rack, it usually ends up costing him a lot!

Rack Doctor was even more pricey http://shop.rackdoctor.net/...inion-57995-4260.htm

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 06-24-2013).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DimeMachine:

Pretty pizzed off with this rack from carsteering.com
I paid a "premium" to get this (all shipping - even to return my core) and it's crap!

Two weeks after getting my alignment I noticed a rattle in the driver's side front end.
It eventually turned out to be from the upper control arm bolt and that is resolved now.

BUT while looking for the source of the rattle - I found that the inner tie-rod end had some play in it too. This "rebuilt" rack ISN'T.
The driver's side inner tie-red is worn out, and the passenger's side was hard to move and didn't move smoothly (old parts).

It sure looks like all they did was clean up the rack, slap a little pink grease on the joints and install NEW boots!!!
Once I wiped the new grease away, you could see that the ball was worn out in a rusty socket.
It is SO loose it just flops around and can't even hold a position like on a new one.

You can bet carsteering.com will be hearing from me!!

I had installed new outer tie-rod ends when I installed the rack, but that's not much good if inner is rusty/worn out.

New inner tie-rod is $22 retail. carsteering.com should be replacing these as a matter of course on a "rebuilt" rack - not only "if needed".

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-06-2013).]

92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroTony:

Try Hooters!!

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

In our town there is a placed right across the street from Hooters where you can better view the rack because it has been.....hmmm....removed from the packaging ...so to speak
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to here they sell junk. I almost purchased one from a rebuilder in Indianapolis. Sounds like they are a better company. The used rack I purchased from GTXbullet in WI turned out to be a good rack. I packed it with grease and installed new Moog inner tie rods and Rodney's outer tie rods.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry to here they sell junk.

I don't know if this is indicative that all their stuff is junk, or I just got unlucky and got one done by their most lazy, inept guy.
The rack itself seems OK now that I've replaced the inner tie-rod ends.

They've had their share of complaints, but 98 is not bad when you consider they've had 10's of thousands of sales over the years.
http://www.bbb.org/san-dieg...n-diego-ca-23002663/

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-07-2014).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2016 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Pretty pizzed off with this rack from carsteering.com

I don't know if this is indicative that all their stuff is junk, or I just got unlucky and got one done by their most lazy, inept guy.
The rack itself seems OK now that I've replaced the inner tie-rod ends.

I have another rattle in my "rebuilt rack"
I've traced it to a worn passenger side bushing. (just ordered it from Rodney)

It certainly appears that my carsteering.com "rebuilt rack" was simply cleaned up, had new rubber boots installed, and thrown into a shipping box.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock