A/C Compressor Suction side by raysr11
Started on: 05-09-2013 03:39 PM
Replies: 16 (998 views)
Last post by: Tom Slick on 08-04-2013 09:35 PM
raysr11

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking at the rear of a Fiero A/C Compressor with the switch ports on top and the hose ports on the bottom, which port is the low(suction) side, left or right?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
raysr11

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nevermind. They are marked. "D" Discharge on left side and "S' Suction right side.
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what happens if you have the hoses on the back of the compressor swap?

which hose is which?
big hose = suction or big hose = discharge
little hose = suction of little hose = discharge

thanks
Marvin McInnis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Big hose = suction (cool, low-pressure vapor)
Small hose (w/muffler) = discharge (hot, high-pressure vapor)

Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

Big hose = suction (cool, low-pressure vapor)
Small hose (w/muffler) = discharge (hot, high-pressure vapor)

thanks..

what happens if they are the other way?

I can't seem to get my belt on, the muffler (on hose) is hitting the backside coolant tube when trying to rotate the compressor ccw to get the belt one. I think I might have the hoses swapped.

thanks...
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tom Slick:

I don't think that's even possible with the compressor installed in the car, the hoses would be pointing at the engine cradle? Maybe if the compressor was mounted off 90 degrees? With the three mounting tabs on the front of the compressor, the middle one should be pointing roughly at the road.

I can't seem to get my belt on, the muffler (on hose) is hitting the backside coolant tube when trying to rotate the compressor ccw to get the belt one. I think I might have the hoses swapped.

thanks...

Pics?
Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:
Pics?

Ok, not the best pics hard to get my phone up there.

I double check and I have the big hose on the S side as in the pic below shows

It's hard to tell from this angle but the muffler is touching the coolant tube.

I tried to get a better shot but it didn't come out so good.

Thanks for helping.
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks correct. Here's the diagram for future reference:

I don't have any experience working on the V6 system, so I'm not sure about the interference issue. Hard to tell from the pictures, but that is a V6 hose assembly?
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't think it's possible, due to the different hose sizes. If it were possible, permanent system damage would be the inevitable result.

Are you sure you have the right compressor for the Fiero? There are several variants of the DA6/HR6 compressor that are identical except for the clocking of the front and/or rear case ends.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 07-21-2013).]

Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are you sure you have the right compressor for the Fiero? There are several variants of the DA6/HR6 compressor that are identical except for the clocking of the front and/or rear case ends.

No, I'm not sure about the compressor it came as parts for another Fiero I bought.
Well that just sucks! So I might need another compressor?
I think it would be okay once I'm able to get a belt on, I'm going to try a longer belt (17390) first. If that doesn't work I'll get another compressor. How do I recoup the freon?
I saw at wallyworld had a 30lb container of r134a, I couldn't justify getting that much.

Thanks guys!
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the proper clocking for a Fiero DA6/HR6, as viewed from behind. Notice the orientation of the ports, compared to the front mounting brackets.

PFF
System Bot
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well that just sucks! So I might need another compressor?

Not necessarily. If your compressor is just clocked wrong, it's possible to remove the through bolts that hold the whole compressor together and re-clock the rear header. You do have to be careful to keep things scrupulously clean, though.
Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not necessarily. If your compressor is just clocked wrong, it's possible to remove the through bolts that hold the whole compressor together and re-clock the rear header. You do have to be careful to keep things scrupulously clean, though.

how do you re-clock the compressor?
doesn't that rear bracket only allow the compressor to sit one-way?

I don't think that's even possible with the compressor installed in the car, the hoses would be pointing at the engine cradle? Maybe if the compressor was mounted off 90 degrees?

my hoses come straight out from the compressor.
sort of like in this photo

not like this

think this is for a 4cyl.

With the three mounting tabs on the front of the compressor, the middle one should be pointing roughly at the road.

so in the this pic, your say the middle tab should be pointing at the road if the top and bottom ones are attached to brackets.

to me it looks like the middle tab would be pointing in the back of the passenger.

i think once i get the belt on i'm okay, rotating the compressor cw to tighten the belt would get the a/c muffler off the coolant tube. it's just getting that damn belt on. maybe i need some new hoses?

thanks...
Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found another problem the rear ac bracket is hitting the coolant tube.

I had to take off the rear ac bracket in order to rotate the compressor enough to get the belt on.
I don't remember having this hard of a time getting an ac belt on.

Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I now have working A/C...

thanks to all that help.

i hope i don't have to go thru this again for a while but i'll be ready just in case.

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What was the solution to the interference issue? Glad to hear you got it figured out
Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What was the solution to the interference issue? Glad to hear you got it figured out

i had to take the rear ac bracket off that would allow the compressor to rotate enough to get the belt on then i put the bracket back on and tighten up the belt.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock