3800 flywheel bolt torque + pressure plate to flywheel bolt by Flux
Started on: 05-03-2013 06:50 PM
Replies: 31 (5363 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 12-09-2017 01:02 PM
Flux

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2013 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FluxSend a Private Message to FluxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey guys, got another quick question. What do you all usually torque the flywheel bolts to? Do I need a spacer inbetween the bolts & flywheel? I have an .840 flywheel I bought from a member here that is supposedly a brand new WCF flywheel, and ARP 234-1001 bolts. also, what bolts are people using for clutch plate to flywheel? thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2013 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will find different values on different sites, Mostly I see about 60 to 65 ft pounds. I don't know if your custom flywheel is tapped for the same bolts as stock, so you probably need fo figure that out first. I think only the flex plates used a spacer under the flywheel to crank bolts. I have one sitting here some place. Larry
Flux

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2013 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FluxSend a Private Message to FluxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dan aka fieroflyer says 40 LBs for the bolts I am using and stock fiero flywheel to clutch bolts

[This message has been edited by Flux (edited 05-03-2013).]

trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2013 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stock 3.1 FW to crank bolts are 61 foot pounds, I think I would check to see what they spec the flex plate to crank bolts on your stock engine, else you may end up with a flywheel loose in the bell housing some day. Larry

[This message has been edited by trotterlg (edited 05-03-2013).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2013 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IIRC 3800 crankshaft bolts are only 3/8" . Anything over 40 ft lbs. of torque may strip the threads.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2013 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now there is a person with a real answer. Larry
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2013 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trotterlg:

Now there is a person with a real answer. Larry

Who is that? The bolts are actually only 5/16-18, I wish we had 3/8 bolts.
Flux

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2013 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FluxSend a Private Message to FluxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2013 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

Who is that? The bolts are actually only 5/16-18, I wish we had 3/8 bolts.

I guess that I was off by 1/16" but 5/16-18 is even more reason that those bolts won't take high torque. They are the same size as big block Chevy cam bolts.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

race9887

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2013 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for race9887Send a Private Message to race9887Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WCF told me to torque the bolts to 24 ft/lbs when i bought that same flywheel.

------------------
Our projects

Fieros: 85 Coupe, parts car 86 SE(everything except automatic), 86 SE 3800 Series 2 conversion car.

Build Thread: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121858.html

[This message has been edited by race9887 (edited 05-05-2013).]

Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2013 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

PFF
System Bot
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2013 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
According to ARP's website, those bolts are the 200,000 Pro series, in 5/16 with a -18 thread pitch. Based on the chart (see link below) the nonminal torque is 28 ftlbs which gives you a clamping load of 6588 lbs. For what it's worth, I've used those same bolts and torque value on my installs without an issue. -Jason

http://arp-bolts.com/pages/...ue_us.shtml#ustorque
Flux

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2013 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FluxSend a Private Message to FluxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

very contributive of you, thanks dude!

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

According to ARP's website, those bolts are the 200,000 Pro series, in 5/16 with a -18 thread pitch. Based on the chart (see link below) the nonminal torque is 28 ftlbs which gives you a clamping load of 6588 lbs. For what it's worth, I've used those same bolts and torque value on my installs without an issue. -Jason

http://arp-bolts.com/pages/...ue_us.shtml#ustorque

hm good piece of information. i'd think it's safe to say anywhere between 28 - 40 would be okay to torque these bolts to then?

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2013 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Flux

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2013 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FluxSend a Private Message to FluxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
11ft-lbs? that seems very low ...
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2013 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Flux:

look at it again...11 ft lbs + 50 deg

Also keep in mind this is stock bolt torques

[This message has been edited by fieroaddicted (edited 05-05-2013).]

Flux

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2013 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FluxSend a Private Message to FluxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thats still not much more, not even a 1/4 turn ?
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2013 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroaddicted:

this is what i have been using
http://www.torkspec.com/tor...?KI=12-3.8L-231ci-V6

That would work if he was using the stock GM bolts, but hes using the ARP big block cam bolts which are a different animal entirely.

It is if that was all you were torqueing them to, but I think you missed the +50 deg turning torque you have to do to them after the initial 11ftlbs. This is what actually gives the bolt the clamping force required to hold the flywheel. -Jason

Sorry I was typing when both you guys posted.

[This message has been edited by Fierofreak00 (edited 05-05-2013).]

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2013 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

thats still not much more, not even a 1/4 turn ?

just over a 1/4 turn ya. It prob turns out to be like 25ft lbs or something. If you're using aftermarket bolts, they would be different anyways and you would have to go with whatever the manufacturer says. But, the site is handy though for anything you are needing specs on that are using stock bolts.
Flux

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2013 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FluxSend a Private Message to FluxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yea, it is good for other specifications. thanks!
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2013 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Funny how this question comes up, gets many different answers and creates just as many more questions. They are indeed 5/16 x 18, and as far as I can tell, torque specs are different for different types and manufacturers recommendations, as well as different with or without washers. I bought grade 9 bolts from Fastenal, used 35 lbs and never looked back. Results may vary, as they say.
PFF
System Bot
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2013 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GM factory flywheel/flexplate bolts are torque-to-yield, one time use only bolts. The factory GM torque spec is 11ft/lbs + 50 deg. They are 5/16 - 18 threaded, harder than grade 8 bolts. Some say they are grade L9 but I've never seen anyone test a GM bolt to see what it actually was. ARP probably has the best rating system for bolt strength and they measure them in PSI.

If you don't use a new replacement bolt from GM, then DO NOT use the GM torque specs. You should contact the manufacturer of the specific bolt you are using and obtain their torque specs. If you are using ARP bolts and ARP says to torque them to 28 ft/lbs, then torque them to exactly that. No more. Overtorquing will stretch and weaken the bolts, possibly causing future failure.

Of all the 3800 SC swaps I've done where I've had to replace the flywheel/flexplate bolts, I've only ever used new GM replacement bolts and torqued them to factory specifications. I've never had any bolt failures.

I see people on this forum try to use other bolts all the time and I see a lot of threads with pictures of broken bolts. Why is that? Answer: Either the bolts were too weak for the application or they were NOT torqued properly.

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 05-06-2013).]

Flux

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2013 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FluxSend a Private Message to FluxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
guys, like i said, i'm using an .840 flywheel with arp bolts....... that's all i need to know the torque specification for. it would seem that either fierofreaks00's suggested 28ftlbs or FIEROFLYER's suggested 40ftlbs would be the way to go.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2013 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go with what ARP says.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2013 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

guys, like i said, i'm using an .840 flywheel with arp bolts....... that's all i need to know the torque specification for. it would seem that either fierofreaks00's suggested 28ftlbs or FIEROFLYER's suggested 40ftlbs would be the way to go.

CALL ARP AND ASK THEM WHAT YOU SHOULD TORQUE THEM TO.
Flux

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2013 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FluxSend a Private Message to FluxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OKAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

CALL ARP AND ASK THEM WHAT YOU SHOULD TORQUE THEM TO.

Just an FYI for everyone, I ordered the ARP 234-1001 kit (3 sets of 3) after calling ARP. Tech support at ARP recommends between 26 and 26 FT/Lbs with red locktite.

hope this helps!
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Purple86GT:

Just an FYI for everyone, I ordered the ARP 234-1001 kit (3 sets of 3) after calling ARP. Tech support at ARP recommends between 26 and 26 FT/Lbs with red locktite.

hope this helps!

The ARP Tech we talked to about the ARP bolts said they were NOT designed for 3800 flywheel to crankshaft mounting duty and he could not recommend them as such; further stating they weren't even as strong as the factory Grade L9 bolts GM sells for this application.

Just buy 8 GM p/n: 24505092 flywheel bolts, torque them to 11ft/lbs + 50 deg, and be done.

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 05-22-2014).]

gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2017 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the process of replacing my clutch so have been searching the existing posts ... like this one. Just picked up my flywheel after having it turned and decided to bolt it up tonight. I had purchased grade 8 5/16" bolts (like what I removed). Looked up the torque specs in the factory manual and it clearly states 50 ft lb. Seemed like I was having to turn the torque wrench way too much and it wasn't clicking to declare value met. I backed it off to 40 ft lb and the bolts started to click tight ... all except one. A few more turns and it snapped. Luckily there was enough of it sticking out of the crank hub to cut a groove with a hacksaw and turn it out with a screw driver ... tense moment. I reviewed this thread and also researched bolt torque values online. Here's one from Fastenal https://www.fastenal.com/co...0Gr5%20Gr8%20Gr9.pdf
For a grade 8 coarse thread they list the value in inches that translates into about 17 ft. lbs. For a grade 9 5/16" they also list in inch pounds at which comes out to about 29 ft. lbs.
A couple of members had commented that they felt 60 ft lb was asking too much from a 5/16' bolt and I guess that I agree with them. Not sure what Pontiac was thinking when they listed the torque value to 70 nm/50 ft lb, but the grade 8 bolts will not survive that amount of torque. I'm going to see if the local Fastenal has grade 9 bolts, go with 28 ft lb and use blue thread locker.
Any other thoughts/ideas are welcomed.
carguy8t8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2017 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carguy8t8Send a Private Message to carguy8t8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

The ARP Tech we talked to about the ARP bolts said they were NOT designed for 3800 flywheel to crankshaft mounting duty and he could not recommend them as such; further stating they weren't even as strong as the factory Grade L9 bolts GM sells for this application.

Just buy 8 GM p/n: 24505092 flywheel bolts, torque them to 11ft/lbs + 50 deg, and be done.

Is this bolt (GM# 24505092) correct for the 3800 series 2 automatic flexplate to crankshaft? Or just for the manual flywheel? Should I use loctite?

[This message has been edited by carguy8t8 (edited 12-05-2017).]

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2017 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carguy8t8:
Is this bolt (GM# 24505092) correct for the 3800 series 2 automatic flexplate to crankshaft? Or just for the manual flywheel? Should I use loctite?

GM p/n 24505092 is for the (longer) manual transmission flywheel bolts. If you have an automatic flexplate, then you need the (shorter) p/n 24501365 bolts. Same torque spec (11 ft.lbs. + 50 deg turn).

I always use red loctite on the threads of these bolts upon installation. Never re-use these OE GM bolts, they are one-time-use only / torque-to-yield bolts.
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2017 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whatever Bolts you use, and whatever Torque, I'd put a drop of THREADLOCK on them (that way they Cannot" back out". Just my opinion.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock