Speedo won't work UNLESS...... by rcp builders
Started on: 03-28-2013 05:36 PM
Replies: 5 (185 views)
Last post by: EvilSqueezles on 07-26-2013 02:30 PM
rcp builders

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2013 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcp buildersSend a Private Message to rcp buildersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put my foot on the brake. So, I have an 84 with sbc and the speedo won't work unless I put my foot on the brake.
The minute I remove my foot it drops back to zero. The odometer is working and the radio fuse is good.
The cluster was just resting in position because I have my interior torn out. On one of my test drives it did short out
and I had to replace the fuse. I do beleive that is around the time it stopped working. It would work sporadically with out the
brake and now only with it. LOL

The gear is still attached and the wiring seems secure everywhere. The only thing I can think of is a ground problem and the
actuation of the brake is completing the circuit some how?????????
If any one has any clue I would appreciate the help, Ray
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jimlong67

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2013 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimlong67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't take your foot off the brake!! Problem solved

------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins.
2004 White Sebring Convertible
1986 Black Fiero GT
Kathryn's Welded Metal Artist

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2013 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
heh...

it's a grounding issue. I would try to repair the ground on the tail lights first... The original ground is on the passenger upper frame rail.
rcp builders

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2013 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcp buildersSend a Private Message to rcp buildersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimlong67:

Don't take your foot off the brake!! Problem solved

If I can't fix it any other way than this is exactly what I'll do. LOL A "+" for u.

I hooked the VSS up to a drill and the speedo worked fine, any other thoughts????? Ray
rcp builders

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcp buildersSend a Private Message to rcp buildersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was hoping to get some help with this because speedo still isn't working.
UPDATE: So besides working while my foot is on the brake my speedo also works when I turn my lights on!!
So is there a common wire in or around the cluster/column that these all share? Maybe a ground wire??
Where does the ground wire for the speedo actually ground at?? Your help would be appreciated, thanks Ray
EvilSqueezles

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds kinda odd that whenever your tail lights are illuminated your speedo works. Must be a common wire somewhere in the mix. Does it sound like a ground to you though? To me it would seem like some sort of power feed wire that's common. Since whenever you feed power to the tails, whether it be from pressing the brakes to illuminate or turning them on completely, your speedo kicks on. I know I'm not being much help, but hey sometimes reading it will pop something into someone's mind. I would however assume that whatever kind of wire it is has to be either in the dash or cluster..... since the tails aren't tied into the harness that the VSS is in the engine bay. Maybe somewhere by the c500? I'm having an issue with my speedo as well, but mine is constantly over the 120 mark and never works. I'll be watch I g to see what fixes your problem. Doubtful, but hopefully something I've said can spark a thought with someone.

~James

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock