Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Best Bang for the Buck 88 Brake upgrade? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Best Bang for the Buck 88 Brake upgrade? by Mark A. Klein
Started on: 03-15-2013 11:42 AM
Replies: 64 (4362 views)
Last post by: Will on 03-30-2014 11:48 AM
Mark A. Klein

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2013 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, guys, I know this has been hammered before,,, But what is the lowest cost, lightest weight brake upgrade involving calipers and rotors for an 88. I would prefer not to redrill rotors but could if needed. I need to do at least two cars at this time. Anybody tried lighter calipers? although I am looking for an affordable alternative since $$ is always an issue. I WILL be doing the 96 Blazer Brake Booster conversion as well. I plan on buying all new calipers as well as rotors for these upgrades... Thanks!l
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
eunospeed

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2013 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eunospeedSend a Private Message to eunospeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, and what updrage will fit behind factory 15" wheels on my Formula? Once you go down the road to big brakes it means bigger wheels too which = more money.
FieroDan86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2013 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDan86Send a Private Message to FieroDan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something I haven't done yet myself but probably will someday is the West Coast Fiero brake upgrades using the stock 88 calipers and either Corvette or Viper rotors.They have a 13" Viper set for $742 and a 12" Corvette set for only $440. I think this is probably the best bang for the buck IMO. Much larger surface area with the same pedal feel. It's just new rotors, concentric rings and the caliper offset brackets. Only downside is they won't fit within stock wheels, necessitating new wheels at the same time. That's not a bad thing but it just adds to the expense if you are doing it all at once.
I know there are lots of other kits out there but as far as bang for the buck, the 12" Vette setup seems hard to beat for only $440. If you want to replace the calipers too, well then I don't think we are talking inexpensive anymore. Of course everyones ideas of what is considered inexpensive varies widely!
imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2013 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Take a look here for a semi-quantified comparison: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-2-118887.html

In summary, the s-10 ($100 upgrade) is the very best bang. Within the lace wheels is tougher: the 12" Vette would be next best but it will not fit inside the stock '88 front wheels and, depending on whose adapters you use, may not fit anywhere without larger wheels.

Larry
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2013 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Add stainless steel brake lines to 88 brakes and your Blazer brake booster will be a significant upgrade.

IMO, you should do one set of modifications at a time. The brake booster might be what you need. If not, then you can always upgrade afterwards. Buying a bunch of parts up front might be overkill.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2013 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[shameless plug]

My 13" brake kit for the 88's is hard to beat. It doesn't have the rotor/lower a-arm interferance issues of the 12" C4 setup and is the lowest priced 13" kit on the market. I typically market the kit with drilled/slotted/zinc rotors for $640 shipped (which is about $100 less than the other 13" brake kit with plain rotors), but there are sales from time to time to help lower that cost (currently $75 off till the end of March) and you can always opt for the plain rotors. With the current sale, you can buy one of my 13" brake kits with plain rotors for $490 shipped.

My goal in developing this kit was a clean sheet approach to find the best fitting rotor for the 88’s that will maximize braking force by increasing the diameter of the rotor while keeping the rest of the brake system stock to ensure proper brake bias and parking brake function. Some of the key benefits of this kit are:

• Use of stock calipers, brake hoses and parking brake cables keeps cost to a minimum.
• Stock brake bias and parking brake function retained.
• 25% increase in brake rotor diameter for improved visual impact behind 17+” wheels vs. 15% with the 12" C4 setup.
• 29% increase in brake system mechanical advantage due to caliper being further from wheel center vs. 18% with the 12" C4 setup.
• 20% increase in rotor/pad surface area to reduce potential for brake fade vs. 9% with the 12" C4 setup.
• Available in Drilled/Slotted w/Zinc coating to minimize additional weight and improve appearance.
• No interference issues between the rotor/caliper and the front suspension a-arms when used with stock ball joints. NOTE: When installed with Rodneys 1" lowering ball joints and lowering springs, there have been reports of slight rubbing. If installing this combination of parts, it would be best to clearance the lower a-arm nose slightly to avoid any clearance issues.
• Lowest price of any 13” brake kit on the market today.

Here is the link to the Mall thread for the March sale:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/065193.html

[shameless plug]
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2013 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sliding in some EBC race pads will increase your braking more than a 13 inch upgrade kit assuming you are using some garbage pads right now.
onesexyfiero

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2013 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you can do some basic machine work, a 12" corvette swap can be done for the cost of the rotors. Pretty hard to beat that price, and my plain non/slotted drilled Vette rotors with OEM type (quality but not performance) pads give me plenty of stopping power. Biggest limit on my braking right now is lack of abs.
Mark A. Klein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2013 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where is a write up on the 12" corvette brakes?
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2013 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mark,

Here is a link to the basic conversion....drawings of the adapters available elsewhere: http://fieroaddiction.com/brakes.html

Larry
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2013 06:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mark A. Klein:

Where is a write up on the 12" corvette brakes?

Here is a thread discussing (with pictures) the fitment/clearance issues with it from 2009.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...110502-2-101089.html
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2013 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

[shameless plug]

My 13" brake kit for the 88's is hard to beat.

Indeed!
I have this kit. I have had exactly "zero" issues with it. It was engineered to fit, and to work, and it does.

I was in the process of installing the Corvette kit, until I saw what a clusterfest it was. (Also had the "caliper into the arm" interference.)
I removed it and waited for fieroguru's kit.

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2013 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
EBC street race pads would be the best bang for the buck.(No, they do not require heating up) Yellows if you want all out performance, Reds if you are concerned with dust.

You do not need larger heavier rotors that increase the rotating mass, killing performance. They are purely for looks.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2013 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

EBC street race pads would be the best bang for the buck.(No, they do not require heating up) Yellows if you want all out performance, Reds if you are concerned with dust.

You do not need larger heavier rotors that increase the rotating mass, killing performance. They are purely for looks.

Yeah, I learned the "bigger is not always better" lesson the hard way too.
The stock system in proper working order with good pads and maybe a better booster and they are fine.

imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2013 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mark A. Klein

This is ALWAYS an emotional subject. You have not told us just what you want to get from upgrading your brakes. Is it reduced fade? Cosmetics? Reduced pedal pressure to achieve lockup? The answers to best bang for the buck really are different depending on what you want to accomplish.

Just remember: if you can lock your brakes up currently, NONE of the upgrades will reduce your minimum stopping distance....that is limited by your tires. Reducing pedal pressure increases your ability to modulate your brakes right at the edge of lockup (at least for most people) and that is the point of most of the brake conversions for '88's And that is the whole point of the booster change and the larger rotors.

So, let us know what you want from your brakes so we can better give you our opinions.

Larry
Mark A. Klein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2013 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks like I am going to purchase a set of Lebaron rotors and see if I can make an adapter bracket for stock calipers. Weight is a concern since I would like to think that handling is a primary consideration. Cost is a large consideration also. Maybe i can come up with something new????
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2013 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mark,

You have an email from me.

Larry
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post03-16-2013 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Install the best pads you can afford,, the 88 fiero has great brakes,,people have a tendancy to use cheap pads ,& the biggest problem with Fiero brakes is cheap customer ,cheap pads cheap
dangerous stops
install Hawk street pads ,,wagner thermo quiets ,,carbomets ,just make sure your rotor are in good shape & all lines are not clogged install the pads only on the front first !!
I recommend the thermoquiets with straight smooth rotors after you see the diff in stopping power than add the same brand to the rear they have all round great pad qualities...
you can get a rebate on the thermoquiets from major part stores look for it, they are a bargain with the rebate !!
if you are not satisfied with top quality pads then break the cobwebs off the credit card & go with Fiero guru,,a known quantity that WORKS,with forum recommenders
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2013 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree, start with a really nice set of pads, if that doesn't do it, do the booster upgrade (the "$100 brake upgrade"), it's money extremely well spent. If you still aren't satisfied, then by all means get larger rotors. Best part, is that if you do the pads and booster first, you can always drop some coin and do the rotors later.
Mark A. Klein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The pads I have are Porterfields..... full race.
Drat! I went to O'Reilly's to get the rotors. They were not in stock. So I went to Advance with the O'reilly part number.... They gave me the wrong rotor. O'Reilly does a nice job and has all of the dimensions of the rotor on the page with the part number. Advance does not. Any way I got the wrong rotor... Will try again tommorrow.

[This message has been edited by Mark A. Klein (edited 03-17-2013).]

mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
with a little modification you can install any pad that fits a Willwood Dynalite caliper.
I use Hawk HP Plus for autocrossing and track days.
Great initial bite and they don't need a whole lot of heat and are kind to the rotors.
I get them from Pegasus Racing but they are available from many vendors.
The size is HB100
If you take the bridge of the caliper off and grind it a bit the pads fit great.
You need about 1/16" more than the stock pad. The 2 hole for the pins are in the exact spot
but need to be drilled out a bit too.
It then opens up the available options for us racing folk.
This is for the 88 only.
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mcguiver3:

with a little modification you can install any pad that fits a Willwood Dynalite caliper.
I use Hawk HP Plus for autocrossing and track days.
Great initial bite and they don't need a whole lot of heat and are kind to the rotors.
I get them from Pegasus Racing but they are available from many vendors.
The size is HB100
If you take the bridge of the caliper off and grind it a bit the pads fit great.
You need about 1/16" more than the stock pad. The 2 hole for the pins are in the exact spot
but need to be drilled out a bit too.
It then opens up the available options for us racing folk.
This is for the 88 only.

This is GREAT information!
Thanks!

I'd give you a +, but I already have.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-17-2013).]

Mark A. Klein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2013 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been asked what my intentions were... Better brakes of course, affordable conversion, light weight to minimize handling change, and the ability to use just about any wheel since I don't yet know what I am going to end of with. So... It is between the 12 " vette and a 11.25 LeBaron conversion. Due to weight and minimal work required I am leaning towards an 88 LeBaron conversion using the 88 calipers since they seem to be reasonably light, and we know they work. It appears I will have to clock the caliper to achieve the correct pad diameter. I will probably have to shim the caliper halves since they are so close to being too tight on the rotor. It looks as if the brake drum inside the LeBaron rotor will rub and have to be cut back for clearance and the inside diameter will have to be honed to fit on the ub properly. The question is this more work than redrillling the 100 m on 5 hub and making concentric rings as would be required for the vette rotor. Both require about the same work on the caliper adapter....
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2013 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mark, sounds like a good plan. Fieroguru obviously has a great setup for sale. Although, for best "bang for a buck", I'm partial to my project: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/090523.html Less than $200 invested. It could probably be done using the 88 calipers for more savings.

Bob
Mark A. Klein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks as if the rotors I will use will be 1991 LeBaron 15" wheel fronts and rears. Advance auto part numbersYH141533 AND YH141534 . The front rotor will go ont he back and the back will go on the front. 88 factory calipers will be used all around. All rotors will be clocked upwards just enought to clear the old caliper mounts. The rear YH141533's will need the center bore slightly enlargened to fit over the hub, and the YH141534's will need a very small locating ring on the rear of the car. The drum part of the rotor (parking brake) willneed to be cut back very slighlty to not rub on the spindle mount. All calipers will need a slight shim for the calipers and pads to clear the rotor width. The rear mount will be a simple plate that will only raise and clock the caliper. The front mount will require more planning and maybe a slight offset. Unfortunately the rotos are less expensive if they are shipped to your home. So.... I am returning the rotors I bought and the new ones will ship directly to my home. This will slow things down a bit, but It is very cold here now anyway.... I will put up pictures after I receive the new rotors since I do have to modify the new front (rear) rotors.... Confused yet?
Mark A. Klein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mark A. Klein

608 posts
Member since Aug 2002

imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mark,

Out of curiosity, why are you not using the same rotors all the way around?

IIRC, the locating ring is only .15mm thick and shim stock is available in that thickness. If you just use shim stock is any machining necessary to the rotors?

Since .15mm is only about .006 in, is one really required, or is that too much run out for good balance?

Larry

[This message has been edited by imacflier (edited 03-20-2013).]

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2013 05:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those rotors are likely thicker then the 88's calipers capacity.
Corvette: 0.79"
88 Fiero: 0.75"
Lebaron Front: 0.94"
Lebaron Rear: 0.87"

Just thought I'd give you a heads up.

[This message has been edited by Fierobsessed (edited 03-21-2013).]

pprbart@cs.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2013 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pprbart@cs.comSend a Private Message to pprbart@cs.comEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i finished a 87 rotor job using a 06 pontiac montana rotor . i used oem calipers Now, the caliper on this vehicle has supports for the rotary torque reaction on the caliper when the brakes are on. why is this ignored in these installs. all i see is the caliper being supported inward by the pin attachments. not so with the 87. it has stops to prevent the caliper from moving with the torque reaction.
Mark A. Klein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2013 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by imacflier:

Mark,

Out of curiosity, why are you not using the same rotors all the way around?

IIRC, the locating ring is only .15mm thick and shim stock is available in that thickness. If you just use shim stock is any machining necessary to the rotors?

Since .15mm is only about .006 in, is one really required, or is that too much run out for good balance?

I would rather use the front rotors all around, but they will not fit over the front hubs. I would rather not turn down the hubs. The offset is actually better than the rear rotors. Since the rear rotors will fit over the front hubs, I will use them. ( they are also .150 larger in outside diameter ) And yes for balance purposes I will use a concentric ring for the rear of the car.

The other question I was asked was if I realised that the calipers WILL NOT fit over the wider width rotors... Thank God that the rotors unbolt and seperate the piston area from the bridge. This is the shim I was referring to on the calipers to correct this problem.

[This message has been edited by Mark A. Klein (edited 03-22-2013).]

imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mark,

Check out AutoZone rotors, p/n 5344 (11 1/4 diameter, 61 mm bore, 5x100 bolt circle): http://www.autozone.com/aut...810_172993_2708_6348

Centering rings at 60mm to 57.1mm are available here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/60-...em484430d318&vxp=mtr

I believe that that 1mm difference in the size of the centering ring and the rotor is tolerable.

This combination would result in NO machining of wear parts required, just the caliper adapters and (maybe) a spacer for the caliper to deal with the increased rotor thickness.

Whatcha think?

Larry

PFF
System Bot
Bixby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BixbySend a Private Message to BixbyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think this sounds cool. 11 1/4" brakes that would fit under stock 15" rims on an 88. Yaya!
Make this happen! This is would be great. Keep up the good work.

Bixby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BixbySend a Private Message to BixbyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bixby

115 posts
Member since Jan 2002
2000-2004 MK4 Jetta's have a 5x100 bolt pattern and you can get coated rotors fairly decently priced for them and they are made from high quality German steel. They are also 280mm in diameter & there may be a 288mm version as well for VR6 jetta. I don't have any idea on their thickness-yet.
Bixby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BixbySend a Private Message to BixbyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bixby

115 posts
Member since Jan 2002
22 mm or 0.866142 inches. Slightly thinner than rear Lebaron rotors.
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bixby,

Thanks for the info....do you happen to know the center bore?

Larry
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

imacflier

946 posts
Member since Apr 2002
Never mind, Bixby. It is 65mm and Jegs sells a centering ring that is 65 to 57.1

I wonder which will be a better offset....Lebaron or Jetta?

Larry
Bixby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BixbySend a Private Message to BixbyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope the VW has the better fit! So many more brake options than Lebaron. By the way it will be the front rotor as the rears are un-vented like pre-88 fieros.
Bixby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BixbySend a Private Message to BixbyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bixby

115 posts
Member since Jan 2002
Rotor, Front, Zimmerman Crossdrilled, 280 x 22 mm $120.00

Rotor, Front, 280 x 22 mm, Zimmerman, Coated to prevent rusting on non braking surfaces $55.00
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My oppologies for skimming and missing the whole shimming the 88 calipers thing.

VW rotors have a tendancy to be very flat, the hub is very short

The 280mm (11") VW rotor is 36.7mm (1.44") thick from wheel to the back surface of the rotor, this can cause issues with the caliper needing to be close to the inside surface of the wheel. It is a 21.9mm (.86") thick disc is like the lebaron. The VW rotor also probably will not fit over the 88's front hubs. They have an unusually large OD on the hub flange.

The Fiero's rotor is 265mm (10.43") in diameter and 47.5mm (1.87") thick in total, so you would have to find a way to push the caliper outward for the diameter increase, about a quarter inch, and almost a half inch toward the wheel for the offset decrease. This might not be possible with the 88 calipers and stock wheels. And, it only gains you a little over 1/2" in rotor diameter. Not worth the effort by any standard.

By that justification, is it worth doing the lebaron rotors either? If you are going to upgrade the brakes, it would be worth it to go 12" or better to justify the effort for the return. Its the difference between a 1/4" increase of a lever that is already 5-1/4" long for the VW, or a 3/8" increase from 5-1/4" for the Lebaron. Even 12" brakes only take you from 5-1/4" to 6. Which even then is still only about a 14% increase in torque capacity. As opposed to a 5% increase with the VW rotor, or a 7% increase with the Lebaron rotors, Which also add 3 lbs to each wheel. You're better off still with either doing the booster, or still, different pads - at least if you want "Best Bang for the Buck", that still fits under stock rims. Only once you lose the stock rim requirement, then larger rotors become a potential place for improvement. Under stock wheels, you will never get a rotor diameter that is WORTH doing on the 88's. Also, the 88's front wheels don't fit over Lebaron rotor based brakes anyway, they have a different offset that might hit the calipers. I am not sure how that will play out with 88 calipers though.

On 84-87 however, going to vented rotors is a huge improvement, and going from 9.7" rotors to 11.27" Lebaron rotors is a massive change of braking capacity! And you can keep them under the stock GT wheels for these years.
Bixby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BixbySend a Private Message to BixbyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks fierobsessed, this was just the input I needed. Valuable, informative & backed up by knowledge.
I will do a booster upgrade, new rotors and I have a set of EBC yellow pads ready to go on.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock