speaker help by jon m
Started on: 02-17-2013 07:32 AM
Replies: 35 (7936 views)
Last post by: Bruce on 07-22-2013 11:26 AM
jon m

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi - I am thinking of upgrading my stock speakers in my 87gt and I think the sizes are 4x10 and 4x6 ( i dont know which are the front and which are the rears).
so anyway I have found these 4x6 with a mounting depth of 2"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N...&hash=item564bc6baed

I have just found tese 4x10 with a mounting depth of 2 1/2 "

http://www.thompsonsltd.co....ial-Speakers/4x10%22

will these speakers fit?
I am also wanting the speakers to just "drop in " so I dont have to modify and everything still lokks stock

thanks in advance
jon

[This message has been edited by jon m (edited 02-17-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced the front speakers with some Pioneer 4X10, just drop in and replace bolt in with an offset driver. You get what you pay for and a pair of Pioneers were in the $100 range. I don't know if they are available anymore as I bought them more than 10 years ago.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some people, myself included, would recommend changing to a set of components, 5.25" or 4", in the front dash with an adapter plate. They's probably also suggest using a 4x6 plate speaker in the rear, which is much like a component set using a round mid and seperate tweeter. The reason being oval speakers tend to distort more than round speakers. As far as fitting, I'm not sure on the 4x6 speakers you listed as my Fiero was an 84 and had the headrest speakers instead of the 4x6. The 4x10 should fit just fine. Pyle is not the barand it used to be back in the late 80's early 90's. Now they are pretty much just another rebranded Pyramid so don't expect stellar sound.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
4x10 are the stock front size, and 4x6 are the stock rear size for 86-88 Fieros. The thing you want to watch out for is the mounting depth in the rear, 1.75" is about the safest max depth.

If you want better sound quality, people are now installing 5.25" in the front with adapter plates, and 4" in the rear with adapter plates. Round speakers sound better than ovals.

Everybody seems to love Pioneers. If you can find some NOS Eclipse speakers, those are my favorite.
Stainless1911

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go with the 5.25 Alpines in dash, they will sound better than a 4x10. Im running infinity 4x6 in the pillars, and a 6" Infinity round in the doors. You should consider getting amp for the speakers regardless if you have a sub, it will really clean up the sound.

[This message has been edited by Stainless1911 (edited 02-17-2013).]

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

4x10 are the stock front size, and 4x6 are the stock rear size for 86-88 Fieros. The thing you want to watch out for is the mounting depth in the rear, 1.75" is about the safest max depth.

If you want better sound quality, people are now installing 5.25" in the front with adapter plates, and 4" in the rear with adapter plates. Round speakers sound better than ovals.

Everybody seems to love Pioneers. If you can find some NOS Eclipse speakers, those are my favorite.

so is it a straight forward install and does anyone have adapter plate templates which I could just print off ?

thanks so far for the help
jon
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jon m:

so is it a straight forward install and does anyone have adapter plate templates which I could just print off ?

thanks so far for the help
jon

Fierosound made a template for the dash speakers, somebody was selling pre-made ones a while back.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000080.html

The 4x6 to 4" adapter plates are on ebay, and probably other places
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2013 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the front dash template - as I am not a speaker guru can anyone recommend any speaker/cross over makes and how to wire up?

can anyone tell me if these would just "drop in " the rear? and if they are any good?

http://www.caraudiocentre.c...cs-v4627_p-27026.htm

http://www.caraudiocentre.c...xe-4625s_p-20263.htm

thanks for the help so far
jon

[This message has been edited by jon m (edited 02-19-2013).]

Stainless1911

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2013 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wiring speakers is point A to point B. Keep the + and - straight, and you're good. If you dont know the polarity, get a AA battery, and a wire. Hook it to the speaker terminals. If the positive side of the battery contacts the positive speaker terminal, the speaker will move out towards you.

As to speaker selection, listen to several next to one another, and go by sound, not price.
scotts8ight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for scotts8ightSend a Private Message to scotts8ightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have dealt with speakers for a long time now. It kinda depends on what kind of sound you are going for sony explodes for instance can be bought at walmart in my opinion some very good speakers. They have nice bass treble everything. I have had some crappy headunits that make these speakers sound good. My point is you really cant go wrong with sony explode series. As for higher end you have to really start looking at them. cause some ore made for mid bass. Meaning to get the full bass sound you have to buy a subwoofer. They make these for a full system. the mid bass takes care of what the subwoofer can not handle. Pretty much everything at walmart is pretty good these days I stay away from Jensen though. They have never been that great. A couple places I shop for speakers at online is woofersetc.com, and amazon.com. And if your looking for what fits your cars and things crutchfield.com is good, and if you spend over a hundred dollars there it will come with everything you need to install whatever it is you are installing. Like if you get 4 inch components with tweeters, then it should come with a mounting plate that will fit your 4x10 holes. I usually build my whole system these days on about 150 bucks. Im not as young as I used to be lol!
FieroTony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just remember, you do only get what you pay for, and sometimes less.

I have a JVC unit, not high end but one w/HD radio and works great. Went to Ebay and bought a complete set of 4 for about $55 with shipping. They started going out within a month, one by one. First a little fuzzy/crackling, then nothing. They were still under warranty, so I called and emailed the company, but no one ever got back to me. Besides, if they did, the warranty did not cover shipping, (defective units to them, plus new units back out). So I got some new Pioneer 4 X 10's for the front and put the factory 4 X 6's back in the rear. Sounds great. Need to sneak some cash soon, (married), for some new rear's.

Good luck.
PFF
System Bot
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroTony:

Need to sneak some cash soon, (married), for some new rear's.

I must be lucky... I never have to sneak cash for things I want. Of course I so rarely buy something for myself that when I look at things, my wife tells me to get it (assuming it's within reason cost wise, I mean she's not going to say "Just buy the Lamborghini"). Still, we leave the store often times with her being upset because I didn't buy it. However, I've never had to sneak money or ask for permission to spend money. I will ask her if she's okay about me buying something out of the norm for us, like when I recently bought a Mosin Nagant. Other than things like that though, when I want it bad enough and have the money for it without hurting us financially I just buy it /shrug.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 02-21-2013).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post02-21-2013 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was selling the 4x10 adapters to 5.25" dash
I'm sold out.
top line group(vender here) bought the last of the stock.. they sell them at 29.99

next up might be a sub box for 8" sub under dash, as many have started that project but none finished one thats out of sight..

Stainless1911

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sonicelextronix.com is a great place to look, they have a nice reviews section, they are quick, and customer service was great.
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2013 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stainless1911:

Wiring speakers is point A to point B. Keep the + and - straight, and you're good. If you dont know the polarity, get a AA battery, and a wire. Hook it to the speaker terminals. If the positive side of the battery contacts the positive speaker terminal, the speaker will move out towards you.

As to speaker selection, listen to several next to one another, and go by sound, not price.

I always used a 9 volt battery for that test. It's easier as the contacts are spaced just enough that you can touch them to the speaker plug on most aftermarket speakers without any need for jumper wires.
tntcary

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2013 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tntcarySend a Private Message to tntcaryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now this is something I can def help with! I have tried every single brand and style and yes the adapter change over plates. This is what I have found has KILLER sound that will knock the soda(or beer) back out of your throat and give you wicked highs and great mids. BUT still look stock. My answer may seem strange to some but trust me these speakers are by FAR the best and kick the crap out of Kicker (hmm punn) or Pioneer or Infinity. Cause I have compared them all and had them all !!! For the 4x10's STICK with 4x10's and go with Performance Teknique ICBM-758's. They are 3 way speakers that are just crazy good sounding and super loud. Go with the same brand for the 4x6's (I cant find my box for the model #) TRUST ME these are amazing and look wonderful too. I ripped off the speaker cover cloths on the Fiero speaker covers, cleaned prepped and painted the covers without the cloth on them. Now its like a translucent grill so you can kinda see the great looking chromed out new speakers. They are gunmetal and chrome and look as good as they sound. Ok now on to what will sound more on par with others. Get a shallow truck speaker box or make one yourself. Make sure it is as shallow as possible to fit a Sony Xplode 10 inch 1100 watt shallow back sub. You can pick up the sub at any Best Buy or Wal-Mart. Ok now get a Kenwood or Kicker 400 wt amp (you don't need anything bigger in this car at all) and bridge it. Hook it up for the Sub only. Any good head unit with preamp out puts will do, Kenwood, Alpine, but I Love the Pioneer DEH-2400UB or newer model. Its cheap and its better quality then some of the high end ones. Just make sure its a head unit with more than 50 watts per ch. A 48 doesn't give you the volume you need in your non amped speakers without having to crank it to 32 or so. I run exactly all this in my 87GT and at 20 vol with all my settings to my liking it knocks the drank back up your chest and the highs are super crisp and wonderful. Voice coils in the PT speakers are best I ever heard. i would love to know who makes PT, I am sure its some big brand subsidiarity or maybe they make their own stuff. IDK. You are in England so every single one of these items can be bought at Amazon.com. That is where I get it all. Oh yeah don't forget an amp wiring kit with a decent gauge and large enough fuse. FYI, If you crank it up real loud and amp shuts off, go get a bigger fuse. I think I have a 30 in mine, amp kit came with a 20... that was too low. 30 works great! This is all from trial and error actual doing and not just what I believe. This IS the setup that is best for a Fiero audio system. Minus the CarPC and higher end touch screen head units of course. Those rock too! But I want what sounds BEST and nothing less. If you can get that top sound and not have to buy a $500 head unit or spend $130 bucks a speaker then I am all over that! I dont care what the brand is, I care about what sounds the best!!! Go save a quid and get some awesome sound. Oh I almost forgot Face the Sub TOWARDS the Firewall NOT towards the back of the seat. The Sub will flap the back of your seat and make it sound crap (or flappy). With it facing the firewall its killer, leave space for two fingers space at the bottom of the sub at the floor between the sub and firewall so it can sound best top of subbox will need to be flush as you can with firewall as long as the sub doesnt lay flat on firewall, obviously a wedge shaped speaker box is ideal for this, thats what I use. Ok I'm done.

[This message has been edited by tntcary (edited 02-22-2013).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tntcary:

This is what I have found has KILLER sound that will knock the soda(or beer) back out of your throat and give you wicked highs and great mids. BUT still look stock. My answer may seem strange to some but trust me these speakers are by FAR the best and kick the crap out of Kicker (hmm punn) or Pioneer or Infinity. Cause I have compared them all and had them all !!! For the 4x10's STICK with 4x10's and go with Performance Teknique ICBM-758's. They are 3 way speakers that are just crazy good sounding and super loud. Go with the same brand for the 4x6's (I cant find my box for the model #) TRUST ME these are amazing and look wonderful too.

Performance Teknique same parent company as -- Volfenhag, Rockwood, Nitro, DHD, Koiiler, American Pro, Phoenix Digital.

According to a web search.

Not saying they don't sound good, I've never owned or seen any so I don't know. I was once given 2 American Pro 10" subwwofers for a gift one Christmas. They sounded fine but the build quality was utter crap and they didn't last more than about 6 months. The chromed steel stamped baskets were pretty but they were not deburred so I ended up with sliced fingers when I installed them. The tinsel leads going to the voice coil were of low quality and they started loosing connection causing the subs to cut in and out. They were the cheapest pair of subs I've owned and I've owned many different subs over the years. Kicker, Pyle, JBL, Soundstream, American Pro, Sony, Lightning Audio and Boston Acoustics that I can think of off the top of my head. The Kicker, Pyle, JBL, Boston Acoustics and Soundstreams were all pre 1995, before any of those companies were bought out and rolled into the crappy companies some of them have ended up becoming part of.
tntcary

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tntcarySend a Private Message to tntcaryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

Performance Teknique same parent company as -- Volfenhag, Rockwood, Nitro, DHD, Koiiler, American Pro, Phoenix Digital.

According to a web search.

Not saying they don't sound good, I've never owned or seen any so I don't know. I was once given 2 American Pro 10" subwwofers for a gift one Christmas. They sounded fine but the build quality was utter crap and they didn't last more than about 6 months. The chromed steel stamped baskets were pretty but they were not deburred so I ended up with sliced fingers when I installed them. The tinsel leads going to the voice coil were of low quality and they started loosing connection causing the subs to cut in and out. They were the cheapest pair of subs I've owned and I've owned many different subs over the years. Kicker, Pyle, JBL, Soundstream, American Pro, Sony, Lightning Audio and Boston Acoustics that I can think of off the top of my head. The Kicker, Pyle, JBL, Boston Acoustics and Soundstreams were all pre 1995, before any of those companies were bought out and rolled into the crappy companies some of them have ended up becoming part of.

How interesting on parent company. Yes I TOTALLY agree about the PT Subs, total rubbish IMO. If someone gave me a PT Subs I would give it to my cat to use as a scratching post.
But the PT speakers I listed are just crazy good sounding and good quality, I was totally shocked and floored at my findings with testing all the diff 4x10's and 4x6's to find those PT were by far the best. I was like Performance What, wth are those???

Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How interesting on parent company. Yes I TOTALLY agree about the PT Subs, total rubbish IMO. If someone gave me a PT Subs I would give it to my cat to use as a scratching post.
But the PT speakers I listed are just crazy good sounding and good quality, I was totally shocked and floored at my findings with testing all the diff 4x10's and 4x6's to find those PT were by far the best. I was like Performance What, wth are those???

From what I've seen on ampguts.com, PT amplifiers look fairly well built. Not top of the line by any means, but atleast as good as Pioneer, Kenwood or Sony. Their amplifiers are eye pleasing to with a back to basics amplifier style to them. One day I will get my hands on one and check it out more thuroughly. As to their multiple driver speakers, I imagine they sound fine for most listeners, again in the realm of Pioneer, Kenwood and Sony. I imagine they wouldn't be near as good as Polk, MB Quart or other top brands but for most people they would do just fine. I went a bit more overboard with my stero install in my Fiero although I used Lightning Audio (Rockford Fosgates affordable brand) 10" subs and 5.25" component set. I used a JVC headunit, Audio Art equalizer, Aura amplifier for the subs and a Lightning Audio amp for the component set. I really liked the sound I got. My subs did face the backside of my seats but I didn't get any flapping noise from them. I installed them the way fierosound did his in his audio competition car.

That was taken before I added the Lightning Audio amp for the components. I mounted that amp above the passenger side sub.

This is with the amplifier cover plate attached to hide the amplifier so when looking through the window, all you'd see was the headunit and equalizer.

The Lightning Audio subs were their promo edition 3 subs. Shown here next to one of my Boston Acoustic subs.

I sold the Fiero with 2 Lightning Audio amps in it, keeping my Aura amplifier which I will use with my other 4 channel Aura amplifier in my Neon.

I'm going to use the Boston Acoustics subs in the Neon also, but I still have a brand new set of the Lightning Audio subs I picked up because I really liked them when I got them for the Fiero. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the Diamond Audio mono block amps yet. I'm debating using one to power the subs in the Neon instead of the Force 250A and maybe using the other in my wifes car for her Sony Xplode 12" which is currently being pushed by a old school Phillips Sound Labs amplifier.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 02-23-2013).]

tntcary

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tntcarySend a Private Message to tntcaryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Khw, What is covering the amp in the center 'glove box' ? I can't see what it is in place of the door flop thingy, does it allow the amp to stay cool enough being in there? Cause if it does I am moving my amp off the firewall to in there tomorrow!! I never did cause I was afraid of it over heating. Your set up is SIIICK! Just Wicked Sick!!! My brother just got a PT amp... so we shall see if its quality is as good as the speakers I tested and used.
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
can anyone tell me the depth of the rear speakers? as I am not near the car at the moment - I think I may of found of "drop in" speakers so I dont have to modify anything

thanks again

jon
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

can anyone tell me the depth of the rear speakers? as I am not near the car at the moment - I think I may of found of "drop in" speakers so I dont have to modify anything

thanks again

jon

1 and 11/16ths WILL fit for the rear speakers. Which is 1/4" deeper than the factory speakers. But remember that you have some room to mount the speaker forward. If you use a speaker baffle, that can give you another 1/4" or so by bringing the speaker a big more forward. There's plenty of room behind the fascia panels.

As an FYI, not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but make sure you have a stereo in your car that can handle the watts of the speakers you're looking to install. In the link in your first post, it said 360-Watt RMS (or something). That's pretty heavy. If you have a stock speaker, you really don't want to go much higher than say 100 watts per speaker... but realistically, you'll get the best sound from something that's more like 50 watts since you won't have to worry about under-driving it.

If you're at all interested, this is what I did with my factory system. The sound is VERY clear, and has plenty of depth to it. It's definitely not a competition stereo, but it's pretty decent for using "a" stock stereo, and stock wiring.

http://www.pontiacperforman...roSE_Electrical.html
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:
The thing you want to watch out for is the mounting depth in the rear, 1.75" is about the safest max depth.

If I remember correctly, you also have to be careful with the magnet diameter in the rear speakers. If it's to big you will need to trim the metal, or bend it back to get the magnet in the whole.
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Khw

11139 posts
Member since Jun 2008

Khw, What is covering the amp in the center 'glove box' ? I can't see what it is in place of the door flop thingy, does it allow the amp to stay cool enough being in there? Cause if it does I am moving my amp off the firewall to in there tomorrow!! I never did cause I was afraid of it over heating. Your set up is SIIICK! Just Wicked Sick!!! My brother just got a PT amp... so we shall see if its quality is as good as the speakers I tested and used.

It's a peice of 3/8" thick hardoard that I covered with the same carpet I used on the subwoofer enclosures. It didn't have any problem with heat, the side vents are funcional so they halped keep the heat down. I screwed a peice of 3/8" hardboard to the mounts over the ECM, cut out the glove box portion of the cover and mounted the amp on the hardboard. That took a few tries to get it all centered up and positioned just right up and down to clear all the wiring on one end and the RCA connectors on the other. The Lightning Audio amp I put in there to replace it was alot smaller of an amp and would probably have fit in the glove box portion itself without cutting it out.

Edit: Oh, and Thanks! I've gotten quite a few compliments on the install. Some think I went a little overboard using two 10" woofers, but it's what I like . If I ever get another Fiero I'd do it again.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 02-24-2013).]

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
right I think I am going to fit these sony xplod speakers ( i have a sony xplod cd unit which is a 4x50 watt)
the speakers are 4" and are rated at 30 watts to a max of 140 watts. - (there also half the price which is a bargain)

http://www.caraudiocentre.c...sf1037se_p-27054.htm

I think I am going to use them for the rear if the fit - please could someone look at the pdf link and verify if they will just drop in?

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4191137131.pdf

the same website is selling sony xplod 2way 4" speakers rated at 30 watts and 130 watt maximun which I might use for the front

http://www.caraudiocentre.c...-f1027se_p-27053.htm

please give me some opinions as this subject is starting to drive me mad!!!

jon

[This message has been edited by jon m (edited 02-24-2013).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

right I think I am going to fit these sony xplod speakers ( i have a sony xplod cd unit which is a 4x50 watt)
the speakers are 4" and are rated at 30 watts to a max of 140 watts. - (there also half the price which is a bargain)

http://www.caraudiocentre.c...sf1037se_p-27054.htm

I think I am going to use them for the rear if the fit - please could someone look at the pdf link and verify if they will just drop in?

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4191137131.pdf

the same website is selling sony xplod 2way 4" speakers rated at 30 watts and 130 watt maximun which I might use for the front

http://www.caraudiocentre.c...-f1027se_p-27053.htm

please give me some opinions as this subject is starting to drive me mad!!!

jon

I put the 6.5" version of those Sony speakers in a freinds Neon for them. Thay looked well built and sound decent. I would imagine if the 4" is similar in construction, they would fit, but you'd need a 4x6 adapter to mount the and a 4x10 adapter to mount them in the front. As to the different numbers, I'd say the speakers are identicle, your just looking at the 2010 model and the 2011 model of the same speaker. The 6.5's in the Neon were ran off the headunit, which she had a Sony Xplode headunit.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 02-24-2013).]

tntcary

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2013 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tntcarySend a Private Message to tntcaryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those 4s seem to be ok for the rear.... but in the front too??? I really wouldn't do that and you have to get an adapter plate for up front if you do.
Go with these up front.
http://www.amazon.com/PERFO...CE+TEKNIQUE+ICBM-758

They are about the same price as those 4s you are looking at, but you don't get the air freshener with order from amazon unfortunately. LMAO
17 quid is like $26 American about, right?

[This message has been edited by tntcary (edited 02-25-2013).]

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2013 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks tntcary - very tempted may also get the performance techniques 4x6 for the rears as well - just trying to find a u.k stockist due to import and postage costs hike the price up

thnaks so far for all the help
jon
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2013 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
right after looking at various speakers - I think I have found a set of pioneers and a dealer who is selling them at a very good price.
here is the speaker

http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/pr.../TS-A4613i/page.html

they are 4x6 3way 200 watt speakers and I was thinking of using these for the front and the rears if they will fit the dimensions are

cut out hole required is 3 1/4 x 5 9/16 or 83mm x 141mm
mounting depth is 1 5/8 or 41.5 mm
the total height from the bottom of the magnet to the top of the tweeter is 2 1/8 or 53mm

all opinions welcome

jon
tntcary

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2013 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tntcarySend a Private Message to tntcaryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

right after looking at various speakers - I think I have found a set of pioneers and a dealer who is selling them at a very good price.
here is the speaker

http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/pr.../TS-A4613i/page.html

they are 4x6 3way 200 watt speakers and I was thinking of using these for the front and the rears if they will fit the dimensions are

cut out hole required is 3 1/4 x 5 9/16 or 83mm x 141mm
mounting depth is 1 5/8 or 41.5 mm
the total height from the bottom of the magnet to the top of the tweeter is 2 1/8 or 53mm

all opinions welcome

jon

PM sent. Great speakers for the rear! Dont use those for the front as well. They wont fit correctly and if you do get an adapter plate to make them fit it is not worth it. Stick with 4x10 fronts.

------------------
Put the blow torch down please, its just a Fiero.

[This message has been edited by tntcary (edited 05-11-2013).]

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2013 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the pm cary - the only problem I have is there is only one make of 4x10 speaker I can find in the uk
which goes by the name pyle and has mixed views - hence the pioneers - making an adapter plate would be straight forward
And the pioneers work out at about $60 a pair

please keep any opinions coming

Jon
PFF
System Bot
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2013 04:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here a link for the 4x10 speaker

http://www.thompsonsltd.co....ial-Speakers/4x10%22

please keep the opinions coming

jon
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boston Acoustic 4 x 6 plate type speakers mount in the rear pillars easily and have some decent sound quality. I use them on three cars at this moment.

Nelson
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to finish this thread off with an update.

I took tntcary's advice and went with the performance techniques 4x10 3 way speaker for the front.

and I got a pair of pioneer's 4x6 3way for the rear.

and what a difference in the quality of the sound it is night and day

so thanks to all who inputed their advice and a special thank you to tntcary

jon
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before you start to replace the pillar speakers, you should watch the tutorial ("how to replace the rear Fiero speakers." or something like that), on YouTube. It will really save you a lot of time and trouble.
Incidentally, I installed the Kenwood 4 x 10s and 4 x6s, as well as Rodney's subwoofer. I also purchased a GM cd player from Replacement Radios, and I'm very pleased with the results. Given the small size of the Fiero cabin, I think that too much sound would be overwhelming and distracting. But I'm 66, don't like rap; and enjoy peace and quiet.
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bruce

2189 posts
Member since May 99
Oops - I see you've already done the upgrade. Congrats!
bb

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock