Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  temp. gauge peg repair question?? Was it ever fixed at factory after a certain date??

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
temp. gauge peg repair question?? Was it ever fixed at factory after a certain date?? by Curtisk1060
Started on: 02-15-2013 09:26 PM
Replies: 12 (735 views)
Last post by: masospaghetti on 07-12-2013 12:05 PM
Curtisk1060

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2013 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Curtisk1060Send a Private Message to Curtisk1060Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am in the process of correcting the temp. gauge pegging problem on my 87GT by swapping the wires on the sensor and at the two locations ( C2 pin 11 with C3 pin 13) on the back of the cluster harness. I was wondering if anyone knows if this fix was eventually corrected at the factory as my 88GT never had this problem, unless someone else corrected it before me. Does anyone know the answer?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2013 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have not seen an 88 that it had been corrected on yet.
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2013 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Easiest way to verify on your 88 is to open the cluster. Since the wires will be a little short it should be obvious if they were moved... Or that has been my experience.

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread

hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 88 that suffers from the problem. will be fixing it this weekend.
92wastheyear

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
87GT/Auto

My oil pressure guage pegs. When I turn the key to on but don't crank it the needle sits at 0...as soon as I crank it pegs...any thoughts? Volt meter is fine

**Edit**

Never mind. Found it here

[This message has been edited by 92wastheyear (edited 07-09-2013).]

TG oreiF 8891

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TG oreiF 8891Send a Private Message to TG oreiF 8891Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think they ever fixed this at the factory. My 88 GT had the typical temperature gauge pegging issue until I fixed it a few years ago. Mine was an early production run, so it *could* have been fixed after my car was built, but I seriously doubt it. By the time mine was built, everyone knew the car wasn't going to be continued, there would have been little motivation to stop production and fix something like this. Plus, doing so would probably mean they would have to issue a recall on all Fieros, since "correcting" the problem would be construed as admitting there was a problem.

------------------
1988 Fiero GT
Custom Corvette / MR2 electro-hydraulic power steering
Staggered 16" & 17" rims over 11.25" rotors with Cadillac Calipers & drop spindles

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 92wastheyear:

87GT/Auto

My oil pressure guage pegs. When I turn the key to on but don't crank it the needle sits at 0...as soon as I crank it pegs...any thoughts? Volt meter is fine

**Edit**

Never mind. Found it here

Almost always an oil pressure sending unit problem.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Curtisk1060:

I was wondering if anyone knows if this fix was eventually corrected at the factory ...

No, it was not. This was a design problem that extended through the GM product line for several model years. My 1991 Buick Regal has exactly the same wiring design error, and like the Fiero it's even documented in the '91 Buick Regal FSM.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Mine was the exception. Turned out to be my aux gauge. Thread here:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/128751.html

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Yeah....that is on my list. I leaning toward upgrading to an 88 sensor since you can buy the sensor and plug for about the same money as just an 87 sensor

[This message has been edited by 92wastheyear (edited 07-10-2013).]

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I fixed mine a few years ago. While we're on the subject, why can't we ever get the name or picture of the moron that designed this mess.
Feathers and a bucket of tar would serve as punishment plus an apology letter to every Fiero owner.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

PFF
System Bot
armos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it's kind of funny how it progressed. After somebody made a design error somewhere in the early 80s, they copied that circuit into numerous GM cars all the way up into the early 90s. It wasn't Fiero specific. I've seen it happen in a video of a 91 Grand Prix, so I seriously doubt any 88 car had it fixed. Somehow the GM bureaucracy just kept copying the circuit without noticing or caring about the problem.

I've noticed on some later affected cars, the temperature gauge is physically damped so that instead of slamming against the peg, it softly leans into it then falls back. So instead of fixing the problem, they added more expense to the gauge instead. It's as if somebody doing gauges at GM got blamed, and had to come up with a solution on their end because they couldn't convince the electrical guys to fix the real problem.
The whole pegging needle episode, as minor but long lived as it was, makes GM look maddeningly dysfunctional.
.. That and the fact that our cars have four coolant temperature sensors.
And there's littler stuff that amuses me, like the needles on the aux pod (oil pressure and voltmeter), which you'd think were designed as twins of each other, don't point the same direction when the car is turned off. One nicely points to the first hash mark, the other drops horizontal.
I guess we can say the car has "character".

[This message has been edited by armos (edited 07-12-2013).]

masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, its kind of embarassing that design flaws like this could be produced for such a long time. My 89 Beretta GTU had the same problem. I did like the car though.

How about that silly oil pressure switch that supplies power to the fuel pump, but isn't rated for the amperage??

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock