Started on: 01-14-2013 01:53 AM
Replies: 48 (3739 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 03-24-2016 05:01 AM
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never been a fan of those casset adaptors either. I don't know if you guys have used them or not, but the quality is pretty horrible. You're basically going from digital (MP3) to analog, and them from analog again, to analog (the tape head to reader head). It's much better to just go from digital MP3 to analog once... far less distortion, noise interference, etc.

I'm TOTALLY on-board with the factory OEM look... I mean, I am ALL about that. So I see the idea of modifying the stock radio with an AUX jack as a super-cool way to keep the factory look, while improving your vehicle's sound.
IP: Logged
Dotrenrew

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DotrenrewClick Here to visit Dotrenrew's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotrenrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure if anyone can answer this question, but will a GM stereo from a newer car work in the Fiero? Many of the newer stereos have an iPod hookup already integrated. I'm sure it can't be that simple, but I had to ask.

------------------
2002 Audi Allroad. Tip. 100% Natural. (Daily Driver)
2011 VW Golf. (Wife's Wheels)
1984 Pontiac Fiero. 2m4(My Fixer Upper) 73K miles.

levy_krak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2015 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for levy_krakClick Here to visit levy_krak's HomePageSend a Private Message to levy_krakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hercimer01:

I found MOD this thread on another forum. It removes the tuner pcb from the radio and replaces it with a USB/SD/AUX/FM module. It addresses where to connect the audio in the EQ version radio and i assume it could be modded with the 1/8" min stereo interrupter jack also.
If anything I will just put the interrupter jack in where the USB module connects to.

http://www.thirdgen.org/tec...delco-radio-mp3.html

Hi

I`ve just found that you post here my mod. If someone would be interested I`ve just add a bluetooth option with bluetooth audio from phone and free hand calls

pure version
youtube
tom10122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2015 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by levy_krak:
Hi

I`ve just found that you post here my mod. If someone would be interested I`ve just add a bluetooth option with bluetooth audio from phone and free hand calls

pure version
youtube

I managed the get a straight audio hookup to work but the mic on my phone proved inadequate even on speaker mode (galaxy s4) . 1 call to my dad and he blew my ears out but couldn't hear me at all . Does the new setup use another mic or the devices mic?

[This message has been edited by tom10122 (edited 04-16-2015).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2015 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dotrenrew:

Not sure if anyone can answer this question, but will a GM stereo from a newer car work in the Fiero? Many of the newer stereos have an iPod hookup already integrated. I'm sure it can't be that simple, but I had to ask.

I missed this thread before.
In my Fiero I have a 2001 GMC Sonoma CD radio. It has a jack on the back that is directly compatible with an iPod adapter. I have one plugged in.
The only disadvantages are that the radio does not have an EQ, or red backlighting. (it does, however, have programmed selectable EQ response curves, and SCV - speed controlled volume - which I haven't wired up, yet.)

Most of the Pontiac CD/EQ radios with the Monsoon label will also control an iPod, with an adapter.
Basically, any 1.5 DIN GM radio that will control a CD changer will also control an iPod adapter. They will also support an AUX-IN adapter, but will only control iPod devices from the front panel.

You can sort of see the radio here, except for the clock display.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2015 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Later GM radios w/ cd players will work, but you have to make a slight modification to the wiring harness. Check with Radioreplacement (which should be mentioned somewhere in this forum) for the correct information. I bought a later model Delco radio / cd player from them, did the splicing to the harness they supplied, and I've been VERY happy with the results.
bb
levy_krak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for levy_krakClick Here to visit levy_krak's HomePageSend a Private Message to levy_krakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tom10122:

I managed the get a straight audio hookup to work but the mic on my phone proved inadequate even on speaker mode (galaxy s4) . 1 call to my dad and he blew my ears out but couldn't hear me at all . Does the new setup use another mic or the devices mic?

You have use other mic. Like this http://www.dx.com/p/univers...-pc-3-5mm-jack-33472

And wire it to the rear mirror to get better quality. Remember the mic have + and - . When you connect wrong you still will have poor quality
Tbar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2016 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TbarSend a Private Message to TbarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since we are on the subject and this seems to be the place to ask this question can anyone tell me what
exactly these two wires on the back of the two ACDELCO RADIOS (orange and brown ones)are for I know
One has power but I'm not sure how much is required To power my stock radio.

I bought my first Fiero the other day an the guy I bought it from want to take Aftermarket tape player with him and leave the stock radio
with the car so I agreed. But for some reasonThe radio will not operate fully till the headlight switch is pressed
to the on position well parking lights To be specific. Car key on position the radio lights up with no controls avail except for
volume all that comes out of the Radio is static till I turn the parking lights on then the radio lights seem to get brighter and I'm able
to change the station AM/FM Plus memory work till I depress the parking light switch. Anyways I think I'm not getting constant 12+ but can't seem to figure out why so I'm thought I could bypass and run straight from the fuse panel with a fusable line but still got the same problem I ran it to the lower right pin from the big connector looking at the 2 radios from the link provided and even tried combining it with the orange wire that runs to the other 2 pin connector and still got the same problem / symptoms. Help please .... Oh and if it helps it's a 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT. Also the radio pictured to the left is exactly the same one that I have the the Fiero rite now.

http://images.fieroforum.co...-13_23-25-32_496.jpg

Picture is of the previous 2 radios from the first page thanks.

[This message has been edited by Tbar (edited 03-24-2016).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2016 05:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had both of those radios apart.
As far as I'm concerned, the "base" radio has a much more sturdy cassette system than the EQ radio. (Not that it's important, any more.)
OTOH, the "EQ" radio seems to sound better than the base radio. Maybe it's just because of the Loudness button and the EQ.

The CD radio, pictured above, seems to sound better than both of them. But that radio is quite uncommon, and people seem to ask a premium for them.
The later ones (think 4th gen Trans Am) with the orange clock display seem to be much more common, and are easily adapted to the Fiero wiring.
replacementradios.com has the power and antenna adapters to make them work. They also sell radios as a complete package with the wiring adapter.

Originally posted by FieroDan86:

No one has mentioned yet about the AM stereo button (no AM stations in stereo anymore if I'm not mistaken) and the CrO2 button for the tape player. Not that it matters anymore with very few people still playing tapes.

Pressing the AM Stereo button still opens up the receiver bandwidth a bit. Helps the frequency response of even normal AM stations.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock