Wiper Motors and Pulse Boards by Mykola
Started on: 11-10-2012 01:40 PM
Replies: 12 (979 views)
Last post by: JT.86FieroGT on 09-18-2013 08:51 PM
Mykola

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2012 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MykolaSend a Private Message to MykolaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I keep on burning out pulse boards on my 86 Fiero Coupe. They do not last more then a day or two. The boards wind up smoking and begin to melt. I purchased a Dorman pulse board (part # 906109), from Rockauto, which is the replacement part for the AC Delco board (part # 22039316). The online catalog says that they are interchangeable for the 86. The original AC Delco board that was in the car stayed on, even if the switch was off. The part # for that board is 22048550. The wiper motor part number is 20488522. Are these correct boards for the motor? Does it sound like I have a bad motor? Or is it the wrong wiper motor in the car? I took pictures of two boards and the motor. Any help would be useful.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2012 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look like motor is bad, trans has binding, or both... Why? Ground on motor looks fried too.

Check wiper transmission have no binding etc... Binding make motors draw way more amps...
Iffy wiring or switch can cause low volt cay fry things too.

See my Cave, Electric Motors and Windshield Wipe

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Mykola

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MykolaSend a Private Message to MykolaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What manufacture would you suggest for a wiper motor? and if possible a part number.
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it possible that you have mixed a non intermittin wiper motor with an intermittin system or vice-versa?

Just a thought, also I sent you a pm.
Mykola

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2012 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MykolaSend a Private Message to MykolaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alrighty, well I replaced my wiper motor with a completely new motor and same result a melted pulse board. I was driving with my wipers off after I just put in the new motor and new pulse board, I began to smell melting plastic while driving. Pulled over, opened the front hood and saw my pulse board melted. Any clue whats going on? How to fix? Please Help!
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2012 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mykola:
Alrighty, well I replaced my wiper motor with a completely new motor and same result a melted pulse board. I was driving with my wipers off after I just put in the new motor and new pulse board, I began to smell melting plastic while driving. Pulled over, opened the front hood and saw my pulse board melted. Any clue whats going on? How to fix? Please Help!

Picture of new board? or same burn at top or bottom above image?
Top burn not = bottom burn. different circuits.

top not sure
bottom is high speed. Not much attach to that circuit expect the switch.

get any SM, download at http://www.fieronews.net/fusion/downloads.php
Mykola

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2012 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MykolaSend a Private Message to MykolaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The board that melted again was a Dorman. It melted just as the one on the bottom of the picture (the greener one). My next idea to do is to find the switch. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2012 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Obviously there is a problem and it is most likely not the PC Boards. If it were my car, I would get the schematics and remove the wiper motor and apply power to the correct terminals and make sure the motor operates correctly at all speeds. Then I would make sure there is no mechanical binding with the wiper arms and mechanisms. If that checks out, you can reinstall the motor and apply 12V and GND to the correct terminals again to make sure all is still OK. If that works, you need to find the short or open in the wiring leading to the wiper stalk. With the Key in ACCY or RUN and the connector to the wiper motor disconnected, check the voltages at the connector pins when you move the wiper position to low, high, mist, etc. For example, set the wiper switch to LOW, put the ground lead of the test light to a solid ground point and touch terminal C on the wiper connector. It should light. Then touch all the other terminals, they should not light. Repeat this for each position of the switch and every terminal on the connector. You can use a 12V test light but a digital Volt OHM Meter is better. I suspect you will find something is amiss here, either there will be no power to one of the terminals when there is supposed to be or there will be power to two terminals at once. Once you determine if the switch and wiring are good or not then you can proceed with repairs. Just to keep installing new PCB's is not going to do it.

If you use the link above you can down load the 87 service manual, the wiper schematics start on page 980.
Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2013 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SO mine died today too, just thought I'd add to the mayhem. The board doesn't look all that bad besides the solder joint in the bottom left of the second pic (may just be discoloration)...

It's kinda late so I didn't look for my multimeter (it's not easily accessible without moving the car), I'll probably do the testing tomorrow. They never slowed or anything, just stopped mid-stroke. For temporary I may be able to wire low/high speed but I have to double check before I burn anything up (ask me how I know).

[This message has been edited by Doober (edited 02-12-2013).]

Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2013 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Doober

445 posts
Member since Nov 2006
So guys... don't forget the small stuff The fuse had enough corrosion on it to keep the wipers from working. Cleaned it up and all is well.
pttransamdriver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2013 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pttransamdriverSend a Private Message to pttransamdriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
devices burn out for one reason: too much current (amperage). I'm an electrical engineering student and have burned my fair share of components. What you need to do is get your multi-meter out and check that connections current, and see if it is too high for the specs. Or if you don't know the specs, you could check the fuses to make sure you don't have one thats too big in the wrong place. Another thing to check is make sure you don't have power from a lose wire or a bare wire/contact medium contacting the one that's burning stuff and delivering extra current to it.

The big idea here is to make sure that circuit has no extra outside input. Circuit needs to be clean (from power source to component to ground)

If that doesn't work check other circuits that might be effecting it in a round about way.
PFF
System Bot
Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2013 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not an EE student, but I know enough about electronics to +1 that

I upgraded the firewall ground in my '78 Malibu frame-off, and cleaned all the inside grounds thoroughly. The gauges used to move previously since the lighting in the cluster was finding its way through the gauges and then through the sending units, but now they're rock steady.
JT.86FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JT.86FieroGTSend a Private Message to JT.86FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the exact same problem with my 86 GT. When i bought it the board was burn't up, i replaced and it burn't through it the same day it was replaced. All of a sudden the wipers started twitching up and down. please let me know if you find a solution, thanks.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock