Intermittent Headlight Motor, :/ by Stainless1911
Started on: 10-22-2012 02:10 AM
Replies: 10 (240 views)
Last post by: snyderman on 07-31-2013 08:45 PM
Stainless1911

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2012 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My passenger side motor works sometimes, others, not so much. I recently put a new gear in too. It's not free wheeling, it's jusd dead. I grabbed a speaker wire ad ran power to the motor from the drivers side, and it worked fine. That this tells me, is there's a bad circuit. What's the best way to pinpoint the issue? I did put some electric grease on the contact, that might haven worked, I'm not sure. Like I said, it's intermittent.

------------------
I have a 1987 Fiero, 4 cylinder 5 speed. With an 88 engine.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2012 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If its a pre 87 it may be the isolation relay. In my 86 I cant just turn the switch on, I have to partially push it till the lights come up, then switch it the rest of the way on. This is because the out of production iso. relay is bad.
Stainless1911

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2012 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's an 87.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2012 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See my Cave, Gen 2 HL Motor

If the connector(s) are bad loose etc. then the module will think the motor(s) are stuck and shutdown.
May mean module is going bad.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Stainless1911

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2012 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried to raise the headlight with the knob, it would hardly budge at first, then it loosened right up. I decided to hit the switch, just to see, and it opened up just fine, turned the lights off, and it retracted properly. Tried again, up and down, and it worked perfectly.

I don't think it's fixed yet though, what do you guys think?
NetCam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2012 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
when you replaced the gear, did you use a nylon one or aluminium? If you hadn't just replaced the gear, I'd say you have all the symptoms of a stripped gear, and manually turning the knob moved the motor into a position where it could grab a good tooth.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2012 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most likely a low voltage problem. Many causes. Mostly poor engine/frame grounds. Rust under the copper ends on the frame grounding wires in various locations. Connectors getting slightly corroded etc. Relay contacts in the controller. Many places or most likely just a bit in multiple places all adds up.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Stainless1911

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2012 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
@net. I used a plastic gear. I used epoxy as a substitute for the little bushings that were out. Got the idea for the epoxy from one of buddycraigs videos.
Stainless1911

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2012 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Stainless1911

981 posts
Member since Apr 2012
@ Rodney That will be loads of fun to track down.

I called you the other day about the slave cylinder. It was the one the 87 with the 88 motor. The new style RD master cylinder did work, the clutch works perfectly now, thanks. I appreciated your conversation, you saved me a lot of trouble. That bench bleeder thing was a nice touch too, kudos on that.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2012 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In addition to my post above: It take a lot more electrical energy to start a motor turning than to keep it turning. Once turning it takes less energy. That is why it will not start sometimes. Just turning the knob some releases some of the pressure and the motor can now start turning once the switch is turned on.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

snyderman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for snydermanSend a Private Message to snydermanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi I'm having the same sort of trouble. Passenger headlight will come up if it turn it manually and then go up and down correctly on it's own as many times as I try it. Once I let it sit for longer than a minute it needs help again. It doesn't matter of the hood is opened or closed. Do you think its the module or a ground issue?
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock