bent thermostat by FIERO 265
Started on: 10-14-2012 08:53 AM
Replies: 16 (1037 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 08-05-2013 07:51 PM
FIERO 265

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2012 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO 265Send a Private Message to FIERO 265Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi
I have 87 with a 3800 i put in this year . The problem i am having is the thermostat is bending
in the modified fiero housing
When i warm up the engine at idle the thermostat opens at 180 and runs ok
then once i drive the car some times i find the engine temp does not get to 125f then i check the
thermostat and the extensions on the thermostat are bent .
Looks like there is to much pressure and blows it open when the engine is cold

Thanks Leo
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2012 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heater is blocked or other plumbing issues.
See my Cave, Thermostat

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2012 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum! The Fiero uses the heater loop to reduce pressure when the thermostat is closed. Maybe you have a blocked heater core.
FIERO 265

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2012 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO 265Send a Private Message to FIERO 265Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi changed heater core and the problem did not go away
I am going to loop or bypass the heater core
all tubes running to heater core looks good
Thanks
Leo
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2012 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bypass heater and pipes at the engine itself.
DefEddie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had this same problem and have been chalking it up to crappy autozone thermostats.
Happened again today.
Busted the heater hose splice and was leaking,opened cap to top off after fixing and found bent thermostat.

Mine is an all stock 88gt basically.
Looped the heater core till I had time to change out.

I do have a brand new champion radiator,but that is about it.

This has happened 3 times since i've owned the car (3-4yrs/2-3k miles)
With original rad and heater core twice and now once with new radiator and heater core bypassed (under hood,not at housing).
Water pump is new (<100 miles) as well.

What is the actual mechanism of how this is happening?
Almost looks like the thermostat stuck and built pressure to bend it,which would make sense why the plastic splice broke (due to pressure?)

It has NO air issues and the system has been flushed at least twice since i've owned it. No head or lower intake gasket issues.
Thanks for any furthur edumacation on this issue,I never put much thought into it other than crappy parts.
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always drill a 1/4 inch hole in the rim of the thermostat to let a little water bypas it, position the hole at the top when you put it in and it will let a little water and any trapped air flow through the system. Works for me. Larry
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually, a 1/16" hole is plenty big enough.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trotterlg:

I always drill a 1/4 inch hole in the rim of the thermostat to let a little water bypas it,

Originally posted by TopNotch:

Actually, a 1/16" hole is plenty big enough.

I do a 1/8" hole as a bypass, because with the 3400 block like I have, you have to plug the bypass hole in the timing cover (nothing behind it).

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post08-01-2013 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buy a Stant thermostat. Everything else is garbage. Still drill the hole. So much cheap China crap out there.
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+1
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The water pump doesn't create enough pressure to bend the thermostat.

Check the pressure cap that covers the t-stat housing to be sure the inner rubber cushion rotates freely, if it is frozen in place it will twist the t-stat handle upon tightening, leading to the collapse. The t-stat handle should be slightly below the sealing ring of the housing when properly seated in the housing.

And always buy a Stant t-stat.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Buy a Stant thermostat. Everything else is garbage. Still drill the hole. So much cheap China crap out there.

I believe there are two quality levels of Stant thermostats. The cheaper ones might even be made in China.

Spend a couple extra dollars and get the superior one - Stant SuperStat 45819 (195º)
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36401 posts
Member since Apr 99

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The water pump doesn't create enough pressure to bend the thermostat.

I don't agree.

Check your thermostat !

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look at the legs of the thermostat. The thermostats I have seen in the past come one of two ways.

Flat steel - cheaper way of manufacturing and usually found on the parts store brand units.

Bent down the length of the leg - this is what the genuine OEM units look like and the Stant units I have bought in the past. That slight bend adds a tremendous amount of stiffness to resist this buckling failure mode.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Just went through trying to find a Stant #45818 thermostat in Calgary.
NOBODY has Stant thermostats - just the MotoRad junk pictured above.
Checked Napa, Auto Value, Parts Source, Canadian Tire.

I think I have to get one shipped up from that States. Probably $30 to ship an $8 part

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-05-2013).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierosound

15145 posts
Member since Nov 1999
Wohoo!!

A local member had a spare Stant thermostat kicking around.
So I should be good to go.

Thanks Bob.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-06-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock