Anyone install AC on a non-AC car?? by retroman
Started on: 09-27-2012 04:36 AM
Replies: 10 (571 views)
Last post by: 85 SE VIN 9 on 09-06-2013 08:05 PM
retroman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2012 04:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My '87 GT was never equipped with AC (or if it was, the PO ripped everything out and left the wires hanging). Anyway, I'm swapping over a 3400 pushrod from a '95 Camaro. It came with a compressor, and since I spend most (seemingly) of my day sitting in traffic going to and from work here in Hawaii, I was wondering if anyone who's upgraded a non-AC car could tell me if it was worth the trouble to install.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2012 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look for the option code list under the hood on the left side inner fender, if you have "C60" on the list, your car was equipped with A/C from the factory. If it does, then just track down the missing pieces. If it does not you will need a donor car with A/C to get all of the necessary parts: Complete air box, wiring, controls, lines, etc. I've never converted one personally but I have done my share of A/C work in my days as a mechanic, I think it could be done but it won't be a walk in the park.
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2012 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many who have ask, it has been suggested that they find another Fiero with AC as it is a lot more work & $$ to add AC to a non AC Fiero.
Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2012 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've done it and it ain't no walk in the park. However if you like a challenge and don't need the car for an extended period go for it. It is fairly time consuming but I did mine over a winter when the car was safely tucked away. To me it's the best mod I've ever done on my car and I've done a ton of mods.

DF
rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2012 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in the process right now, adding A/C to a base coupe with a 3800 swap, still have a long list of things to do. Fun !
hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like to add AC to my non-AC '88 Formula. I have all the AC parts from a '87 GT donor car.

Do the wire-harnesses differ at all between a non-AC car, and an AC car?

Thanks for the help.
hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
rourke_87_T-Top,

How is your AC addition project going?
rourke_87_T-Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm doing a lot more than just an A/C conversion, 3800 swap, brakes, exhaust etc. I decided to use Goodyear high pressure hydraulic hoses front to back. Hard lines attached to driver side rear frame rail was causing an issue because of headers and space, driver side back across to passenger side stupidity, F that ! I'm working on other things at the moment but I need to pick up some of those hose bend coil, anti-kinkers whatever you call em. I'm gonna get some conduit to run them through. Lots of work still, Like eating an Elephant, one bite at a time !
hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you had to change any of the wire-harnesses, from a donor car, for the addition of the AC system?
rourke_87_T-Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need basically everything from the A/C car, harness, HVAC, controls, lines, front harness, condenser etc.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone answered this question with a detailed and practical description of the process, but so far I haven't been able to find it. I say go for it. Aside from the comfort and practicality of it nothing looks better in an ad than "working a/c."
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock