High Flow OEM Style Intake by HitesFiero
Started on: 09-14-2012 07:31 PM
Replies: 154 (10098 views)
Last post by: PatrickTRoof on 11-26-2014 12:36 AM
HitesFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2012 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HitesFieroSend a Private Message to HitesFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've made an 11th hour change and made the thottle body neck a seperate bolt on component.
IP: Logged
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2012 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HitesFiero:

The pressure differential for gas (air) is at or near equal in all six runners, so distribution will be fine in a vacuum or boost setup.

Done any CFD or testing yet to prove this?
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2013 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
any new word yet?
HitesFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2013 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HitesFieroSend a Private Message to HitesFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the lack of updates, work and family have kept me very busy for the past few weeks.
The project is back on track and I’ve made a few more changes to the overall design to improve sealing and ease construction.

I’ve gotten a lot of emails asking what method of casting I’m using.
While I’m not at liberty to divulge the exact details of how I create my cores, I will state that I’m using an evaporative core process.

Here is a teaser; the plenum TB-Neck and cover are cores waiting to be cast.
I’ve altered their color for a better representation.
StreetRod4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2013 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StreetRod4Send a Private Message to StreetRod4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cant wait to see this get finished. Its exactly what I want for my Formula!
zefferk

Feedback score:    (69)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2013 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zefferkSend a Private Message to zefferkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First I've seen of this...very interesting! Make sure you post in the Mall once these are ready. I believe many will be interested in getting one, but would never think to look in the tech area for new products. You might want to ask Cliff to move this to the general chat area or start a link there so more members might get wind of this potential terrific product. Kudos on your work here!
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2013 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry if I missed it - but will this plenum retain EGR function?
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2013 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The pressure differential for gas (air) is at or near equal in all six runners, so distribution will be fine in a vacuum or boost setup.

Originally posted by Will:

Done any CFD or testing yet to prove this?

BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2013 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are really two issues with anything like this.

First, what does it flow in comparison to the stock intake. Most vendors stop right here because they can make flow claims that lead simple minded buyers to make their buying decisions without questioning. "Hey, the maximum flow is higher, so it MUST be good, right?"

Well, not quite. The second factor is what is the air demand of the engine.

I see all the time where vendors make claims like "Flows 800 cfm! That's 300 cfm more than the stock intake and filter!" Then you do the research and find out that the stock engine running full throttle can only suck 400 cfm, in other words the stock filter system is perfectly adequate and doubling, tripling, quadrupling the theoretical flow capacity won't affect power out put one iota.

Looking at the stock Fiero intake, I believe a couple of things are evident based on tests I have seen. First, the neck area below the TB is a bottleneck and will limit flow through that area. Second, on a stock engine, this doesn't represent (based on flow tests) any significant resistance so any power increase on a stock engine will be nominal at best.

Crank the engine up with either conventional tuning (high compression, lots of cam, more RPM) or a turbo and the theoretical bottleneck becomes an actual one and flow is restricted. The question I have is just when (and how much) does this happen.

I very much admire the job you are doing on the new intake and look forward to not only before and after flow tests, but as you mentioned, before and after dyno runs with nothing but the intake changed between runs. I expect you may get some nice numbers on modified engines, and I wish I had more room under the hood on my engine swapped car to take advantage of your intake (I run a cammed and flowed 3.4 which I think has a pretty good chance of exceeding the flow capability of a stock intake).
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2013 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what does it flow compared to a 34/3500 intake and heads?

------------------
there's a Group on 60degreeV6.com for us 660 Fiero owners!

Fiero Owner's group on 60degreeV6.com

I know these lines Look crooked on paper, but I swear I've got them straight in my head.

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2013 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I strongly advise that you make the "FIERO" writing on the upper a machined item rather than cast. That way your potential markets will include non-Fiero applications...

.....and you wont get sued when GM finds out. Those who have used the "Fiero" on thier products can tell you stories.

RJ
PFF
System Bot
HitesFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2013 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HitesFieroSend a Private Message to HitesFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by masospaghetti:

Sorry if I missed it - but will this plenum retain EGR function?

Yes, it's in the OEM location. The side of the boss is visible in the core picture.

HitesFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2013 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HitesFieroSend a Private Message to HitesFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

HitesFiero

401 posts
Member since Sep 2003

Originally posted by BillS:

First, what does it flow in comparison to the stock intake. Most vendors stop right here because they can make flow claims that lead simple minded buyers to make their buying decisions without questioning. "Hey, the maximum flow is higher, so it MUST be good, right?"

Well, not quite. The second factor is what is the air demand of the engine.

I see all the time where vendors make claims like "Flows 800 cfm! That's 300 cfm more than the stock intake and filter!" Then you do the research and find out that the stock engine running full throttle can only suck 400 cfm, in other words the stock filter system is perfectly adequate and doubling, tripling, quadrupling the theoretical flow capacity won't affect power out put one iota.

Looking at the stock Fiero intake, I believe a couple of things are evident based on tests I have seen. First, the neck area below the TB is a bottleneck and will limit flow through that area. Second, on a stock engine, this doesn't represent (based on flow tests) any significant resistance so any power increase on a stock engine will be nominal at best.

Crank the engine up with either conventional tuning (high compression, lots of cam, more RPM) or a turbo and the theoretical bottleneck becomes an actual one and flow is restricted. The question I have is just when (and how much) does this happen.

I very much admire the job you are doing on the new intake and look forward to not only before and after flow tests, but as you mentioned, before and after dyno runs with nothing but the intake changed between runs. I expect you may get some nice numbers on modified engines, and I wish I had more room under the hood on my engine swapped car to take advantage of your intake (I run a cammed and flowed 3.4 which I think has a pretty good chance of exceeding the flow capability of a stock intake).

Thank you,

Plenum size and runner length are also key factors when determining the engines power and RPM range.

HitesFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2013 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HitesFieroSend a Private Message to HitesFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

HitesFiero

401 posts
Member since Sep 2003

Originally posted by ericjon262:

what does it flow compared to a 34/3500 intake and heads?

If I ever build a retrofit intake for the Gen 3/4 engines, we can discuss it then.
HitesFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2013 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HitesFieroSend a Private Message to HitesFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

HitesFiero

401 posts
Member since Sep 2003

Originally posted by qwikgta:

.....and you wont get sued when GM finds out. Those who have used the "Fiero" on thier products can tell you stories.

RJ

I already have a lawyer friend looking into this for me.
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2013 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I’ve gotten a lot of emails asking what method of casting I’m using.
While I’m not at liberty to divulge the exact details of how I create my cores, I will state that I’m using an evaporative core process.

I still want to know you're doing it so I can come down to your place with some pre-made lost foam cores and a bunch of aluminum rims to melt, and make a port injected 2.5 iron duke manifold.

[This message has been edited by KurtAKX (edited 01-16-2013).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2013 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BillS:

Well... there is one more thing that Hites is refusing to address: Air distribution within the manifold.
Who cares how much it flows if the air distribution is such that any high-demand engine will burn a piston?

It's interesting that he replied to everyone except me.

I'm just curious about how he's going to verify to his customers that using his manifold will NOT cause burned pistons or valves due to uneven air distribution. I'm also curious about what he's going to do when that does happen to someone's high dollar engine build.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2013 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I thought that was kinda funny.

On another note, you could expand your market much more by offering a intake and valve covers for the later 60* motors that mimics the fiero styling, while offering REAL perfomance. I'll take a stock drivable 200 hp over a modified undrivable 200 hp anyday.

------------------

I know these lines Look crooked on paper, but I swear I've got them straight in my head.

HitesFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2013 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HitesFieroSend a Private Message to HitesFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well... there is one more thing that Hites is refusing to address: Air distribution within the manifold.
Who cares how much it flows if the air distribution is such that any high-demand engine will burn a piston?

I'm just curious about how he's going to verify to his customers that using his manifold will NOT cause burned pistons or valves due to uneven air distribution. I'm also curious about what he's going to do when that does happen to someone's high dollar engine build.

Ok Will, you’ve forced a response out of me.

“Well... there is one more thing that Hites is refusing to address: Air distribution within the manifold.”

I did address it as such when I stated that the pressure differential should be at or near equal in all six runners.

“Who cares how much it flows if the air distribution is such that any high-demand engine will burn a piston?”

I agree completely! As such, if any pistons are harmed in the production of this manifold, they will be on my own engine.
You’re trying to seriously debate the merits of the design before it’s even been tested yet.

“It's interesting that he replied to everyone except me.”

Yes, I know a bully when I see one and I see very little point in starting an engineering chest pounding match with you.

“I'm just curious about how he's going to verify to his customers that using his manifold will NOT cause burned pistons or valves due to uneven air distribution. I'm also curious about what he's going to do when that does happen to someone's high dollar engine build.”

Oh come on!
Do you really think I’m going to open myself to that kind of liability without thoroughly testing it first in the real world? Really????

[This message has been edited by HitesFiero (edited 01-17-2013).]

HitesFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2013 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HitesFieroSend a Private Message to HitesFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

HitesFiero

401 posts
Member since Sep 2003

I thought that was kinda funny.

On another note, you could expand your market much more by offering a intake and valve covers for the later 60* motors that mimics the fiero styling, while offering REAL perfomance. I'll take a stock drivable 200 hp over a modified undrivable 200 hp anyday.

I think you’re missing the point and intended purpose of this intake.
As I’ve already stated, the objective is to widen the usable power band from its drop off at 4500 rpm to 6000 rpm.
It’s meant to be a bolt on for a stock or upgraded Gen 1 iron V6 and maintain an OEM appearance.

“On another note, you could expand your market much more by offering a intake and valve covers for the later 60* motors that mimics the Fiero styling”
As I said in my response to your previous post; if I design a retrofit manifold, we can make a fair comparison at that time.

[This message has been edited by HitesFiero (edited 01-17-2013).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2013 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I did address it as such when I stated that the pressure differential should be at or near equal in all six runners.

My point is that you haven't shown anything except your say-so... Are you planning to have the prototype on the flowbench? CFD of your CAD model?

Do you really think I’m going to open myself to that kind of liability without thoroughly testing it first in the real world? Really????

Are you going to individually instrument and datalog each cylinder? That's what you have to do to verify air distribution.
Is your engine over 11:1 compression and pushing 90+ HP/litre?

You can't possibly test this product *thoroughly* and be able to offer it at a price that recoups your testing costs.

It's a heck of a lot easier to catch a problem like air distribution at the *DESIGN* end than at the *TEST* end.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 01-17-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2013 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why not cut the plenum in half and weld a 1/2" to 3/4 " spacer between the upper and lower pieces and weld it back together to make the runners and throat larger? Haven't researched or looked at what it looks like inside to know if the top and bottom have vanes and runners cast from top to bottom.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2013 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think you’re missing the point and intended purpose of this intake.
As I’ve already stated, the objective is to widen the usable power band from its drop off at 4500 rpm to 6000 rpm.
It’s meant to be a bolt on for a stock or upgraded Gen 1 iron V6 and maintain an OEM appearance.

“On another note, you could expand your market much more by offering a intake and valve covers for the later 60* motors that mimics the Fiero styling”
As I said in my response to your previous post; if I design a retrofit manifold, we can make a fair comparison at that time.

again, just because you can spin it to 6000 doesn't mean it's worth anything up there, 2.8 heads SUCK, and they still SUCK even if you put the best intake ever conceived on them. It may help some, but it's not going to be anything to right home about. look at the Truleo, I've seen dynographs where quite a bit of bottom end was given up, for no real gain on top.

------------------

masospaghetti

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought the Trueleo made a big gains in the upper RPM range? With the 3.4 it certainly does, I thought it did with the 2.8 as well.

I am looking forward to this product! Keep up the good work.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

again, just because you can spin it to 6000 doesn't mean it's worth anything up there, 2.8 heads SUCK, and they still SUCK even if you put the best intake ever conceived on them. It may help some, but it's not going to be anything to right home about. look at the Truleo, I've seen dynographs where quite a bit of bottom end was given up, for no real gain on top.

Yes, they suck stock but are fine for a stock Fiero 2.8...
When *properly* ported and polished, they flow just fine, I've personally put down 249 ft*lbs of torque thru them and snapped 2 axles. Hence with the right intake, cam, etc.. those 249 ft*lbs can be made into 249 rwhp. Since going to the Trueleo intake with an L98 twin 48mm throttle body, my power band from 4500-5500 rpm has gone up significantly from when I was using the Fiero intake and put down 187rwhp @ 4400rpm (249ft*lbs @ 3600rpm). Sorry, I don't have a current dyno. Yes, I know some 3400/3500 are making more power, but I'm still using the stock 3400 cam where they are not. My compression ratio is about 9.86:1 where as the typical aluminum head motor may be higher.

I'd love to have aluminum versions of the stock iron heads for the weight savings and for the ability to run higher compression without detonation, however we are stuck with what we got when we want a plug and play system for our engines. There is no point in debating changing because changing the heads essentially makes it no longer a Fiero "long block" hence non-Fiero engine. Sure my block isn't a Fiero block, but it let's me run Fiero heads, lower intake and accessories as well as Fiero wiring. Once you change heads, everything else goes with it and it's a Fiero-nothing motor at that point.

But anyway, in the end, the point is the stock heads have flowed 275 HP, so to say "they suck" or "not possible" is really just trolling. Are there better solutions? Yes, but the OP doesn't care.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

lou_dias

5258 posts
Member since Jun 2000

I thought the Trueleo made a big gains in the upper RPM range? With the 3.4 it certainly does, I thought it did with the 2.8 as well.

I am looking forward to this product! Keep up the good work.

A former member of this forum has dynoed a Fiero 2.8 at ~160 rwhp with shaved heads, ported intake and 2.5" exhaust and a proper tune. His username is 1fst2m6 and you can look him up in the archives... Higher compression is the key to not losing bottom-end when also opening up the top end.

Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't hassle a guy who is trying to help the Fiero community!
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2013 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've made an 11th hour change and made the thottle body neck a seperate bolt on component.

I like that idea. I'd think that might make it easier to accommodate any potential options like different throttle body sizes, for example.

That aside, have you any updates on your intake manifold project?

HitesFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2013 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HitesFieroSend a Private Message to HitesFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by project34:

I like that idea. I'd think that might make it easier to accommodate any potential options like different throttle body sizes, for example.

That aside, have you any updates on your intake manifold project?

The detachable neck won’t be on the prototype, it’s too much extra work for a test piece.
I’m finishing some updates on my foundry and casting equipment to make multiple pours easer.
I have some updates and new casting pics up soon.

Four_hundred_86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Four_hundred_86Send a Private Message to Four_hundred_86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool ideas. If you need a Guinea pig for a stock piece I am willing to donate my car for the cause, for r and d of course.

------------------
Honestly, What is a "stock" Fiero?

KurtAKX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2013 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are you going to individually instrument and datalog each cylinder? That's what you have to do to verify air distribution.

You can't possibly test this product *thoroughly* and be able to offer it at a price that recoups your testing costs.

It's a heck of a lot easier to catch a problem like air distribution at the *DESIGN* end than at the *TEST* end.

I know what you're saying, but I'm not sure why you're all over HitesFiero when you didn't jump all over FrancisT for failing to do any of that type of testing with the Trueleo designs.
PFF
System Bot
masospaghetti

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates on this?
n7vrz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Then make it easier on us all, Will. Design one yourself. Be sure to have it do everything exactly right in the design phase. That way no one will have to build one to test as it will be right to start with.

Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will, Remember this design?

Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KurtAKX:

I know what you're saying, but I'm not sure why you're all over HitesFiero when you didn't jump all over FrancisT for failing to do any of that type of testing with the Trueleo designs.

Perhaps because we did the flow bench work (#s posted on our site) and spent $$ on the dyno see below. Note, the stock heads can flow more than enough CFM if used with a better intake and headers, add some mild porting, CCing etc. and cam..... On the intake covered here, don't forget to include good size velocity stacks inside the plenums for the runners.

Just like to brag a lil, my son and his MR2 team took 2nd out 71 cars at their chump car race last weekend. After 14 hours, 1st, 2nd and 3rd were each only 15 seconds apart with the gaps closing, the rest of the field was 16 laps back!
------------------

trueleo.com
RSpiderII@aol.com

[This message has been edited by Francis T (edited 02-17-2013).]

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Francis T:

Perhaps because we did the flow bench work (#s posted on our site) and spent $$ on the dyno see below. Note, the stock heads can flow more than enough CFM if used with a better intake and headers, add some mild porting, CCing etc. and cam..... On the intake covered here, don't forget to include good size velocity stacks inside the plenums for the runners.

------------------
we're in desperate need of a little more religion to nurse your god-like point of view...

Built not bought...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

[This message has been edited by ericjon262 (edited 02-17-2013).]

KurtAKX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KurtAKX:

Originally posted by Francis T:

I'm going to begin with a disclaimer: I think the Trueleo intakes are a well thought-out and good product.

That said, I may be overstating the glaringly obvious here, but neither this dyno data nor the data provided on the Trueleo Fiero Intake site give CYLINDER TO CYLINDER flow distribution for a given delta-P, which is what Will was up HitesFiero's A55 about. Not to say it was never done, but it's not provided in this response, any of the threads covering the development of the intakes (any of them, short or long runner), nor is it on the website.

Will's concern for this may be too much - the flow distribution of many factory and aftermarket intakes is terrible- I can't imagine that HitesFieros could be substantially worse than a 1970s/1980s factory of aftermarket piece. Look no further than the Edelbrock intake base for the 2.8, in which the runners are intentionally different

To Hites- the pressure differential seen by each intake runner between atmospheric pressure and a downward moving piston (and scavenging) will most likely be pretty much the same as you state.
I think the point Will's trying to make is that the same pressure differential can exist at both ends of a sewer pipe as at both ends of a coffee stirrer, and you'll end up with radically different flow rates.
FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As a long time hotrodder I some times wonder about all the effert put in to just one componant of a engine. The 2.8 / 3.1 / 3.4 is a 60 degree engine because it is better for a v6 AND it makes for a narrow engine for FWD cars. The narrow part makes the intake so narrow It is hard to get runner length for good low speed power ( in a small engine) in a big car. The "W" cars are a lot of car for a 2.8 to move.
The "old school" thing to do is to just put a bigger engine in it, and be done with it. With a fiero, with trying to keep it sort of stock looking, you are not going to make as much power as the time / $ you spend would make with the "just put a bigger engine in it" school of thought.

The 2nd school of thought is to do the whole engine, heads, cam, lifters, rockers, headers, exhaust, intake, bigger cfm TB. From what i can see the iron heads are the weak link. The latter, bigger engines in this engine family had alum heads. They look like GM used some of the tricks they used on the "Rat" motors ( BBC) heads.
IF i was to do one of the 60 degree engines I would want to use the alum heads. But they don't work with the stock fiero intake and the stock 3.1/3.4 intake don't work with the fiero's distributer.

SO..... do a intake that lets you use the alum heads AND the distributer. That way you could just use a alum headed 3.1 / 3.4 fwd engine with the intake.

On my chevy V8 fiero I am using the chevy block, crank, rods, distributer, roller lifters. EVERY THING other than that is after market. Dart heads, comp cams roller cam, roller rockers, victor intake, SS headers, exhaust dump, hot rod push rods, bigger oil pump, steel oil pump drive rod, flat top pistons. It is not your grammy's station wagon engine any more.
I used a sbc because you can buy all this stuff, you don't have to invent it.
IF you are going to "invent" stuff, make sure you can use the very BEST stock stuff along with it.

Carry on.
masospaghetti

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
But you can't use aluminum heads on the stock 2.8 block without a very high (12:1) and unusable compression ratio.

The intake is meant for those who want a modest power bump without having to replace the entire engine.
sleevePAPA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

But you can't use aluminum heads on the stock 2.8 block without a very high (12:1) and unusable compression ratio.

The intake is meant for those who want a modest power bump without having to replace the entire engine.

That way you could just use a alum headed 3.1 / 3.4 FWD engine with the intake.

thats why he said FWD engine.

SO..... do a intake that lets you use the alum heads AND the distributer.

This^^^
an intake designed for the GEN III 660's would be nice for those who have swapped to the better engine.

[This message has been edited by sleevePAPA (edited 02-17-2013).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock