4spd muncie or 5spd getrag for 3800SC by spartan_chaz
Started on: 08-19-2012 02:47 AM
Replies: 12 (802 views)
Last post by: trotterlg on 09-10-2013 11:48 PM
spartan_chaz

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2012 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spartan_chazSend a Private Message to spartan_chazEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok so today i went out to the dragons tail and some other twisties with the GA fiero club. Going out there made me realize that a 5spd may be better for running out there and ther over all drive down the highway as well. I may be able to get a good deal on a 5spd getrag. So, that said, i am doing a 3800SC for my fiero and it should be geting put it VERY soon. Should i keep the 4spd muncie that i currently have or would the 5spd getrag, overall, be beter in the long run? Down the road i plan to save up the money and install an F23 because i know they are nice and beefy transmitions. Just would like a good few opinions on what you guys would do in the same situation.

p.s. if it makes a difference 1. it will be daily driven to work where i usualy dont go over around 65MPH and 2. iv never been one to do any clutch dumping. Only time i get agressive is twisty roads sometimes a light to light every now and then.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
spartan_chaz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2012 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spartan_chazSend a Private Message to spartan_chazEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i also forgot to add i all ready have a new clutch for my 4spd is there any chance it would work for a getrag 5spd?
84se2m4

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2012 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84se2m4Send a Private Message to 84se2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wondering the same thing myself!
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2012 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3800SC + 5sp getrag Great for hwy and good holding power for that eng. (What I run )

BUT if you want fun in the curves...4sp

Neither will hold up to tons of abuse, so noo speed racer unless you streghten the trans

I will say no to your clutch, because IF it is not a Spec III / Clutchnet or better the clutch will not hold the power of the 3800sc
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2012 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the 4spd and it works great for holding up the power. Gas mileage suffers on the highway, revs are way too high. When it burns a hole in your pocket, it makes things a little less fun.

Don't quote me on this... but I think some clutches can be used from the 5spd on the 4spd but not the other way around. However, you may need the 4spd throw out bearing regardless of where you get your clutch from. Again, don't quote me on that, but I remember something like that being discussed a while back when I was having my swap done. My Spec clutch came from a 5spd getrag.

Good luck!

------------------

Check out my build and my website!
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html
Embrace Racing

spartan_chaz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2012 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spartan_chazSend a Private Message to spartan_chazEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok so then what ill probably do is stick with my 4spd for a little while and either sorce the parts i need to do the 5spd swap and/or save the money to do a full F23 swap in the end because it is a better trans overall. Just have to get the money to do it all lol

p.s. a buddy of mine said for overall stength the 5spd is the best for a 3800SC is that correct because iv herd the 4spd is the best...And would any tranms shop be able to strenghten either of those trans?

[This message has been edited by spartan_chaz (edited 08-19-2012).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2012 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMO 4 speed Muncie for drag use and light street /highway.
5 speed for street /highway all around use.
As previously stated neither will hold up that long to the WOT power of the 3800SC. I know many guys who have blown up these transmissions but in all honesty most of them drive like animals. Its more fun that way.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2012 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Clutches, as far as I know, are physically interchangeable, but use different T/O bearings for the 4 and 5 speed. I have used a clutch for a getrag 5 speed in my 4 speed car.
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2012 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some 4speed pressure plates are too thick to use with the 5spd. Make sure you take some precise measurements.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2012 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 5 speed is better for freeway driving, however, the Muncie is stronger and has better gearing if you do most of your driving around town. Given the expense of switching cables, etc. etc., I'd run the Muncie for a while and see how it works out.

Arn

------------------

spartan_chaz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2012 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spartan_chazSend a Private Message to spartan_chazEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

The 5 speed is better for freeway driving, however, the Muncie is stronger and has better gearing if you do most of your driving around town. Given the expense of switching cables, etc. etc., I'd run the Muncie for a while and see how it works out.

Arn

Yeah this is what i was thinking about doing. I currently do mostly hwy driving to work and all but, 1. it really isnt for that long and even though its hwy most of it is in traffic and i usually don't go anything over around 60 or 65 at most. and 2. most of the time i drive pretty smoothly rather than aggressive im a person that likes to play it safe first...unless im out on the mountain roads >.< But, my long term plan is to try and get the money to put an F23 swap in. Overall iv added up to around $1000 for that swap. Which is around $150 for the trans from the yard, $390 for friend of yours shifter adapert and mounts, then a good clutch by spec that can take a goo bit of torque. So overall the 4spd will be the best to hold me off till i can get the money then?
PFF
System Bot
Glen87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Glen87Send a Private Message to Glen87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know this thread is somewhat old but Im curious what route youve taken? Right now Im debating on what to do with my trans situation myself.
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The clutch problem is that the hole through the pressure plate fingers is a different diameter depending on the throwout bearing being used. You can probably use the smaller hole in the Muncy PP for the Isuzu or one with a larger hole but not the other way. Best thing is to go with what is proper. Larry

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock