Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  A Good Reason to Remove Your Evaporator (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
A Good Reason to Remove Your Evaporator by josef644
Started on: 08-18-2012 01:13 PM
Replies: 63 (5850 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 07-07-2018 01:04 PM
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Believe it or not, my sticky stuff is still like Silly Putty.

Jonathan
IP: Logged
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3M Black Strip-Calk part# -08578 I found it on Google. Package on the way.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 08-23-2012).]

randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can actually re-use the old black "putty" stuff quite easily.

I simply placed the old sealant in a metal pan and heated it with a heat gun for a few minutes and it became nice and soft and pliable and also horribly sticky....
You will want to wear disposable surgical gloves when working with it.

Just heat it up till its soft and pliable, then take a nice wad of it and "smoosh" it around each exaporator tube where it exits the blower housing.
Mold it around a little so that it fully blocks any air gaps between the tube and the plastic housing.

If you find you don't have enough of the stuff, you can get tons of it for nothing at any salvage yard out of other cars.

The other neat thing about heating it up, kneading it around and re-using it is that it looks like new again...
------------------

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 08-23-2012).]

benoitmalenfant

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for benoitmalenfantSend a Private Message to benoitmalenfantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^^^^^^ +1 for the hint!
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by benoitmalenfant:

^^^^^^^ +1 for the hint!

Merci !
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pulled a vacuum this afternoon, and I am good to go here. WIll add in a new accumulator and vacuum it down once again. Maybe tomorrorw.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 08-24-2012).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

Pulled a vacuum this afternoon, and I am good to go here. WIll add in a new accumulator and vacuum it down once again. Maybe tomorrorw.

Let that vacuum pump run for a good LONG time. (1 hour wouldn't hurt)
You need to get every molecule of water vapor you can out of that system and the longer you let it run the better off you will be.
Good Luck!
benoitmalenfant

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for benoitmalenfantSend a Private Message to benoitmalenfantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

3M Black Strip-Calk part# -08578 I found it on Google. Package on the way.

Is this sold in smaller quantities than a case (12 boxes) ? Can't seem to find it in smaller quantities on the net.

EDIT: Nevermind, wasn't looking properly, found single boxes...

[This message has been edited by benoitmalenfant (edited 08-24-2012).]

IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2012 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good idea, I was bored so decide to finish my A/C removal today look what I found......
Bout 3 inches thick of crap.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2012 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IanT720:

Good idea, I was bored so decide to finish my A/C removal today look what I found......
Bout 3 inches thick of crap.

You got it this far apart, I recommend removing the evaporator and using brake cleaner to remove the 20+ years of tar, nicotine, oil, wax, dirt, mold, fungus and other crud that has ended up on the outside surface. I wish I had done this to mine.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 08-26-2012).]

IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2012 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm removing my a/c so I just junked the evaporator,and glued that screen back in. thanks though
PFF
System Bot
jaredmurray88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2012 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
got a + from me too. got bored with interior so i took mine out. there was a softball size gob of leaves and helicopter things in it. since i hate a/c i ditched mine too and thanks for the putty info lol i was trying to think of a way to plug that hole all day
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2012 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took my resistor out and stuck my fingers in there...I has mistakenly assumed that since the area around the blower motor was free of debris, the evaporator would be clean too.

Pulled about five handfuls of leaves and dirt out of there!

If I ever need to recharge my A/C this thing is coming out for a real cleaning. Thanks for the tip.
MRose

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2012 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MRoseSend a Private Message to MRoseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Because of this thread I decided to check the blower assembly out in my (as of yet not driven) new Formula.

I pulled a crap ton of mouse nest out of the blower inlet (the part that goes up in the cowl and down to the blower motor):

The mouse nest seems to have rusted whatever panel lies on the inlet there:

The evaporator was not too badly clogged:

As for the mouse, he apparently didn't make it:

[This message has been edited by MRose (edited 09-03-2012).]

sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2013 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for a good thread. Too many folks have lost Fieros due to debris fires.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm refurbing my A/C system. Found this thread to be extremely useful.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2014 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MRose:

As for the mouse, he apparently didn't make it:

Would've been an interesting picture I imagine... if the image(s) still existed. This is why so many of us promote the use of PIP here.

I wanted to clean out the blower box in my newly acquired '88 Formula last year and this is what I found. I'm another person here who hates A/C, so I removed all A/C components... including the evaporator pictured below.

Originally posted by Patrick in This thread:

nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2014 03:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I guess I need to GIT ER DONE!
solotwo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would imagine most of these cars sit around and not get used daily. Or parked outside most of the time.
handymanpat

Feedback score:    (48)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2018 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for handymanpatSend a Private Message to handymanpatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a great thread and super helpful!
Thank you to everyone who put information on here.

------------------
pat moody

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2018 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by deceler8:

Was at the local Advance Auto tonight...R134 is now 19.99 a can.

Propane anyone ?

Hey guys, its 2018 and I picked up 3 cans of R134 at Mills Fleet Farm for $5 per can.
Oreillys still has it for 9.99. It pays to shop around if you want to save $20-$30.
PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2018 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cleaned mine out a few weeks ago and I found a bunch of crap in mine as well. Just like others have posted up, thats what mine looked like for sure.
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2018 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sometime last driving season I found a dead mouse on the floor mat of my 84 SC car. No big deal, got him out of there, replaced the floor mats, looked under the seats for more mouse problems, nothing else found! Well, this spring we drove the car for a Sunday drive. Had to turn the heater on. Wasn't long before the windows were open because of the horrible dead mouse smell. So, finally today I pulled the heater motor to find the rear quarters of a dead mouse as well as a mouse nest in the fan squirrel cage. After some probing I found the rest of the mouse as well as a lot of junk against the evaporator. Cleaned everything out and sprayed, wiped down with Lysol. Hope this solves the stench problem, otherwise there may be a Fiero for sale. Not that anyone would want it with the nasty aroma.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2018 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a product called Zero Odor. Works wonders in home and auto.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock