Started on: 08-15-2012 09:56 PM
Replies: 9 (985 views)
Last post by: Tom Slick on 07-14-2013 02:36 PM
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2012 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the process of renewing my AC system I removed the orifice tube to discover 'Black Death'.

I purchased an in-line filter to catch any left over debris in the system. Replaced the two long lines, compressor hoses, and condenser. I cut the orifice tube section out to add in the filter and discovered all was to short. I will put the filter somewhere else.

Got a replacement.

The part of the original line that threads onto the evaporator had a standard '0' ring. The replacement one uses a captured '0'ring

Anybody know what the heck is going on here? Which one is correct. These are the 'MALE' ends. How can I tell which female end is on my evaporator?

I had a vacuum leak, this might be the problem as the incorrect tube line was used by a PO?

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 08-15-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2012 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is odd. The one with the straight end should use a standard o-ring, while the one with the grooved end would use a captured o-ring.

The captured o-ring for that connection is a #8 captured o-ring, so the straight end would be a #8 standard o-ring. What year car did the straight end line come off of? I used one from an 87 that had the captured groove.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2012 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got it from weloveour86se here on PFF. He didn't say what year it was from.

The captured '0' ring shape always remind me of the black exhaust ends on the space shuttle.
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2012 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Joe, I installed my filter in the part of the tube just before the line assembly that the orifice tube is in.
The line that runs from the condenser back to the orifice tube runs along the left wheel well and then angles toward the firewall.
In that angle is where I installed mine.
I couldn`t really find anywhere else to put it.
Mike
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2012 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mike, I thought there would be enough of the aluminum orifice tube there to install it, and it was easy to get and remove. The orifice tube can be installed into the filter, replacing that section. I will be installing it into the same place yours is. My second choice. I'll take a picture of it and post it for any one else coming across this at a later date.
-Joe
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2012 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did someone say get a fixed orifice tube or the varible?
i got the fixed (9.99 @AZ) did I screw up? going 134a
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2012 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

Did someone say get a fixed orifice tube or the varible?
i got the fixed (9.99 @AZ) did I screw up? going 134a

$10 for a fixed is WAY too much, NAPA has them for $2.49. I'm trying out the extreme duty variable on mine (which is way too much at NAPA).
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2012 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I paid $3.00 for mine at the highest place around here. But they were open for buisness when I needed one.
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2012 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Supposedly, the variable helps when your car is idling.
I think I`m going to have to open mine again and clean the filter and the variable tube.
Last time I had it open the filter and the tube was pretty dirty.
I think my last compressor blew up and even though I flushed the system there was probably some crud left in the condensor.
It still cools when the engine is at about 1500 RPM but when it`s at idle it doesn`t cool as much.
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2013 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm tearing into my A/C system which I disassemble a few weeks ago. now i'm ready to put it back together but I forgot which direction the orifice tube filter goes in. does the wire mesh part go in first or vice versa?

thanks...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock