Started on: 07-31-2012 10:58 PM
Replies: 9 (455 views)
Last post by: hercimer01 on 01-24-2014 12:30 PM
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2012 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone installed a digital cruise control unit with a stock 2.5L or 2.8L V6? All I've found so far is Fiero Sound's SD4 install, and some 3800 installs.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2012 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did it to my 2.8 and it works good. I'd have to dig up the info but its should be in the archives.
When I was all done the cruise light in the dash even came on. :

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2012 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got an AR digital servo running on my 7730 controlled 2.8
Hidalgo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HidalgoSend a Private Message to HidalgoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to bring this thread back from the dead to re-ask the first half of RWDPLZ's question. I have an 88 with a Duke, and I've read here that the 88 Duke used its ECM to manage the cruise control, unlike the 2.8L which had a separate box underneath the carpet for it. Does that mean that I could use a late 90s GM digital cruise control with my Duke and its stock ECM? If so, would it be an easy thing to do? I know it's probably not plug&play, but would it be easily feasible?

[This message has been edited by Hidalgo (edited 03-31-2015).]

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You mean other than the one that has been on the board for the past few days. For the v6

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/128382.html

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 01-23-2014).]

Hidalgo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HidalgoSend a Private Message to HidalgoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know there are already a few threads that discuss using the GM digital cruise control with the 2.8L V6 and in 3800 swapped Fieros, but I wanted to know if that same digital cruise system can be plugged into 88 Duke ECMs somehow.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Installing a digital cruise in the Fiero by Oliver Scholz

This is the guide i will follow on my car when i get around to it...
Hidalgo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HidalgoSend a Private Message to HidalgoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wait a minute, now I get it...

The digital cruise control contains its own electronics, so it doesn't matter if your stock Fiero used the ECM as a brain or the separate cruise module underneath the carpet, because you won't be using either one of them anyway.

Am I right?

[This message has been edited by Hidalgo (edited 01-24-2014).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hidalgo:
The digital cruise control contains its own electronics, so it doesn't matter if your stock Fiero used the ECM as a brain or the separate cruise module underneath the carpet, because you won't be using either one of them anyway.

1. You can but old or digi cruise won't report problems. 87-88 ECM reports cruise in ECM data stream Including all switches. Switches in level, on brake pedal, etc, cause many cruise problems. Digi cruise still uses same switches.
2. ECM control is more accurate then old add-on cruise modules.
3. Vacuum servo on this setup only uses two valves and servo coil is ignored. (and dump valve when brake/clutch is on.) Most valve problem are dirt and easy to clean if/when that happens.

I'm still adding ECM control cruise to 87 DIS duke. Is not very hard to add it. About 1/3 of work is done at factory. Engine TBI's idle pulley came w/ cruise part.

In any case... Hard is to find correct throttle/cruise cable w/o major mod'ing cruise or throttle cables, etc. Later VIN R U and others have separate cables. When found, Need cruise cable and idle pulley bracket. Then VERY CAREFULLY mod throttle cable end to accept new cruise cable.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes. The digital cruise control servo uses the speedometer signal to run the servo. There is 12 volts from the brake pedal through the turn signal stalk to the digital servo. This gets switched by the stalk, resume, set, etc to the servo. These are 12 volt input control signals to the servo.

The only external signal really the digital cruise servo needs is the switched 12 volts from the stalk and speedometer speed.

Edit: And power to the module itself.

------------------
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap

88 Coupe under construction

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 01-24-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave