Cold Start Injector Switch... by 85FieroFL
Started on: 06-19-2012 12:15 PM
Replies: 8 (4109 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 06-13-2023 05:42 PM
85FieroFL

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2012 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85FieroFLSend a Private Message to 85FieroFLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stock engine. 85 V6 SE

I have a question, my cold start injector switch does not ave anything connected to it. Is this a bad thing? Where would the plug be? Where does the plug come from? Can i please have pictures of this area?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2012 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check to make sure you even have a cold start injector... a previous owner may have removed it altogether because either it failed or he lived in a warmer climate and felt he didn't need it. The injector plumbing is located as per this photo but the injector is on the hidden end of the small tube:

Also, since there are a lot of temperature sensors at the front end of the engine, here's a guide to be sure you're looking at the right one for the CTS switch:

If that all checks out, then the wire for the switch comes out of the same bundle as the other temperature sensor wires... it should have two wires, a ppl/wht one and a tan one. Good pictures of the installed connector are very hard to get because it's buried under all the vacuum lines.
85FieroFL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2012 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85FieroFLSend a Private Message to 85FieroFLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do have a cold start injector. Just replaced the o rings on it. So i guess my new question is what are the purposes for the cold start injector switch and the fan switch?
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2012 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cold start injector switch is what turns on the cold start injector which gives the engine more fuel, but only when cranking. It's a neat little switch that turns on for different amounts of time depending on the temperature of the coolant. It acts sort of like a choke.

The fan switch is what turns on the radiator fan, but only once the coolant temperature reaches 235 deg F. It stays on until the temp drops down to 22 deg F then turns off.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2012 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bloozberry

7760 posts
Member since Jan 2009
Here's the Cold Start Injector circuit. I posted the coolant fan circuit in your other thread.

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2012 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No you don't need the cold start injector switch - ran my 88 with it disconnected from several years, just takes longer to start when cold out.

I disconnected it because the switch is no good and turns on the cold start injector when the engine is warm and made the car harder to start when warm. I have since replaced the switch (this year) and all is good now with it connected. I would assume the PO of your car did the same thing as it is a cheap fix especially if the car lives in warmer climates.

J.E. Rowlett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J.E. RowlettSend a Private Message to J.E. RowlettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Perfect!! Thank you very much!!
Misred

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2015 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisredSend a Private Message to MisredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unplug it at the switch not at the injector.( Unless you like digging under the distributor.) Then if you feel you need its use again just push the connector together.

------------------
Billy

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2023 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

The fan switch is what turns on the radiator fan, but only once the coolant temperature reaches 235 deg F. It stays on until the temp drops down to 22 deg F then turns off.

I wish Bloozberry (such a knowledgeable guy!) was still a member here so I could tease him about that typo.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock