Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  What would an accurate price range be for this Ferrari replica? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
What would an accurate price range be for this Ferrari replica? by Reallybig
Started on: 05-29-2012 03:03 AM
Replies: 47 (3795 views)
Last post by: akademikjeanius on 10-06-2014 08:07 AM
Reallybig

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2012 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some background info to the best of my knowledge but not guaranteed accurate. It is not a kit but a turnkey based on a fiero space frame manufactured by CK3 Designs in the late 90's; A company in Calgary Alberta Canada. The company ran into some trouble and is now gone. The body style is called a "Ferrari Konnig Testerossa". The car has a 350 mated to an auto. I think it's carbed. The frame has been stretched. Radiators are mounted behind side air intake vents. The top comes off targa style and the back half of the top is power retractable. full custom interior in classic 90's colors. Leather power seats. VDO gauges, Custom sound system added after was built (needs better speaker boxes). Full airbag suspension. The front clip is power actuated, the windshield is not fiero to look more Ferrari-ish. The A-arms are custom to reach proper wheel track; no wheel spacers. Custom suspension Fully upgraded brakes with cross drilled rotors. Needs TLC and is in the condition expected of a 15yr old car...not perfect.

That's all the technical info I have gathered from a visual and 2nd hand. The owner is trying to sell and is not sure on what to ask. I have my technical opinion...Let's discuss yours.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2012 04:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well it clearly is carbed.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2012 05:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting.
I'll bet that it was hellishly expensive at one time. There is a lot of fabrication and custom work involved.
If it were me, I'd ask Whodeanie. He's done a few rebuilds and repros.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2012 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't tell you what the sale price should be, but you'd need at the very least $50K to build one from scratch today, and more if you paid someone to build it for you.
Arachnyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2012 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArachnydSend a Private Message to ArachnydEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow... I normally hate replicas, but that was a well done replica (not necessarily from it looking accurate but in terms of build quality/build effort).

I'd pay 8k+ for it today, so its got to be worth more than that, and its probably worth a LOT more than that!
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2012 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd gladly take it off their hands.

Looks really well built, just needs TLC as stated for sitting. I'd say $8k-$10k is reasonable for it.
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2012 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I'm not mistaken, the add was listing it for $15,000. Looking at the pictures it probably needs lots of TLC not to mention fixing some obvious faults, cosmetic work and unknow mechanical work. The $15,000 price seems too high for me as there are just too many unkowns.

Just my $0.02
Nolan
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2012 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow that body has some really clean lines. Someone loved it at one time and put a LOT of work into it. I could see someone taking it and repainting it and redoing the engine bay with some paint and chrome and making that some kinda beautiful car. I mean it is all there already. Why the hell did they paint that thing green is beyond me. I could see it in of course Ferrari red or hell even a midnight blue like one of the 355 spyder kit cars I have seen on here. Hell even a nice silver would go a long way on that car. There is a TON of work in that rear end and that top too. Somebody needs to redo that air ride setup in the trunk tho it is pretty homely. I would love to see some better pics of how they did the top or maybe a pic of the top down and also the frame bracing underneath. Personally I would think that car would fetch 8-10k easy in it's current state simply due to what is already done to it. Some more work and money and you would have some kinda nice car to cruise around in. A lot of the Ferrari kits you see are pretty homely but that thing is quite nice. Peace

Pete

[This message has been edited by Pete Matos (edited 05-29-2012).]

cowans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2012 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cowansSend a Private Message to cowansEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well.... what a surprise! I recognize that car... it sat in CK3`s shop for a long time, supposively owned by CK3`s lawyer, AKA Blaine(Pres CK3) Kennedy`s brother in law. Looks like someone else has owned it in the meantime, or it`s a different car. Those ugly door speakers and sub woofer were not there when I visited Blaine to purchase my CK3 Koenig Competition! The CK3 product was far superior to most builders. Chassis`s were widened, properly done. At one time CK3 was sending 10 cars at a time to Japan via ship, $45K (US) turnkey. You could eat off the paint room floor! It`s unfortunate Blaine got greedy and started to rip people off. The building was huge, just about a city block! CK3= a millionaire husband, wife (Cini) and Blaine Kennedy, thus Cini, Kennedy, (3). Looks like someone put a cheap air cleaner on it (I had one for awhile, LOL!) You could make that into a good show car with not too much cash. Those rag tops were very expensive! If the owner was asking $15k, hès not far off, assuming everything is in working condition. Need any info.... ask away. Their fiberglass was very good!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2012 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks pretty nice. Id take it to be sort of a 348 replica. Id say just from looking at the pics and assuming it runs ok, around $10,000. $15,000 would be OK if everything works right and its not damaged. Since it looks like its sat around for a while just out in the open, theres no telling whats needed to fix it. One thing that jumps right out is that air cleaner. Those are trash and you just asking for an engine fire. My V8 car caught fire 2 times before I thru it out. It barely filters the air and its NO flame suppressor. A good filter system will smother out a carb fire.
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2012 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Well it clearly is carbed.

I didn't look too close when I was taking pics. Thanks for the confirmation!
PFF
System Bot
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2012 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Reallybig

974 posts
Member since Mar 2011

Originally posted by cowans:

Well.... what a surprise! I recognize that car... it sat in CK3`s shop for a long time, supposively owned by CK3`s lawyer, AKA Blaine(Pres CK3) Kennedy`s brother in law. Need any info.... ask away. Their fiberglass was very good!

I believe you are correct! The owner told me that it was given to CK3's lawyer as payment for services. At that point, the co. was on the down turn and didn't have funds to pay. I had a hard time believing that any lawyer would take a kit car in exchange for services, but if it's family...I can see it now. It is quite impressive for a build...I first thought it was going to be some shell stuck on a fiero frame but the custom work is everywhere and well done. Personally I would have to clean up a lot of the engine bay to make things look more "factory" than it's current "function" appearance. Back then (aprox 1997), $45K US would have been like $65-$70 Canadian! I had been to their building mid 99' and yes, it was big with lots of stock out back covered up...they weren't open though. I figure $15k is a good price, a little more than I want to spend, a little less than he would want to get. But there has been a LOT of work put into this car. I'll send you a PM.
Scuderia Ferrari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2012 03:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scuderia FerrariSend a Private Message to Scuderia FerrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OMG the car that made my dreams long ago... I have to have it...pm sent..
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2012 05:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scuderia Ferrari:

OMG the car that made my dreams long ago... I have to have it...pm sent..

PM right back atcha!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2012 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seller is asking $20K http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-...e-W0QQAdIdZ382889250

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2012 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TLC, and get rid of that ugly speaker junk. Also, I can't fathom that center console mess in a car of this sort. I love the rest of it, and a carbed small block is fine with me. 20K is too high, but 12-14 if you really dig it. Ironed out and gorgeous paint you could be in under 20K.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2012 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a lot of potential there. No way you can build one that nice for $20,000. Compared to actually building one this would be a snap. Clean it up and run those air hoses under the car for starters. It's a testa rossa, not a 348 right?
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2012 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes... it's a Testarossa replica, less the side strakes.
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2012 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weaselbeak:

I can't fathom that center console mess in a car of this sort. I love the rest of it, and a carbed small block is fine with me. 20K is too high, but 12-14 if you really dig it. Ironed out and gorgeous paint you could be in under 20K.

I thought the same thing when I first saw the pics. See the car in person and all the mods/upgrades...12K would be a steal. To do the work that has been done would take the average person years to do on an evening and weekend schedule. Not to mention you couldn't buy all the parts that have been installed on this car for less than that...even used. I wouldn't buy it cuz I'm just not a ferarri fan...ferrari?, ferari?, Ferrarri?

The console mess does need to be cleaned up. It's for the air bags. The current owner added airbag suspension to make clearing speed bumps easier. Could really be an awesome ride.
cowans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2012 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cowansSend a Private Message to cowansEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't log in much anymore... I see this thread still has some interest! Just thought I would through out a sale link for my Koenig Competition....
http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-c...r-W0QQAdIdZ384511617

To "Reallybig", if I've 'overstepped' your thread, I'll delete it...
best,
Sandy
Scuderia Ferrari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2012 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scuderia FerrariSend a Private Message to Scuderia FerrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

Looks like a lot of potential there. No way you can build one that nice for $20,000. Compared to actually building one this would be a snap. Clean it up and run those air hoses under the car for starters. It's a testa rossa, not a 348 right?

While not exactly a Testarossa, It was spyder replica of the Gen 3 Ferrari Testarossa which was the F512M. This was CK3's 512M Spyder version of their Testarossa lineup.

Here are some of the original CK3 Website images of this exact car, and some regular 512Ms. If you look close you can see the interior as it was originally before those nasty speaker pods were added...as well as the included fiberglass roof cover when roof is down. I would love to get this for 8-10k but no way 20k...

512ms2 by Daddy WhiteOut, on Flickr

512ms3 by Daddy WhiteOut, on Flickr

512tr2 by Daddy WhiteOut, on Flickr

512m3 by Daddy WhiteOut, on Flickr

512m4 by Daddy WhiteOut, on Flickr

512m2 by Daddy WhiteOut, on Flickr
PFF
System Bot
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2012 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never was a fan of the side strakes anyway. that sure looks like an automoda top.
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2012 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before I spent 20k on that one I would find a way to come up with 4-5k more and make offer on Sandy Cowans car in Ottawa..

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post07-09-2012 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
those a/c vents are from a newer car.. my 06hhr had those..
the door speaker pods, make the car..
hope the rest is better than those things, if he is going to try to sell it..
I'd remove the door speakers,, and cover the air ride gauge mess.
no idea whats it $$$$$$$$$$$ buy if I was looking at car and saw those two items I listed.. I might question the rest of the car.. and who has been working on it..
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2012 03:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

I never was a fan of the side strakes anyway. that sure looks like an automoda top.

I really liked the strakes.

Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2012 05:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cowans:

Don't log in much anymore... I see this thread still has some interest! Just thought I would through out a sale link for my Koenig Competition....

To "Reallybig", if I've 'overstepped' your thread, I'll delete it...
best,
Sandy

No worries, that's what this thread is good for! Just kinda disappointed that there are no bikini clad women in any of your pics leaning up against your car.
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 04:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just thought I'd bring this one up again as the current owner just contacted me this week to let me know the price has dropped. He'll let it go for 10k. I don't have the money right now (or the space) but I thought there might be someone here who would want to know. It sure would be a fun project to breath some life into!
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be all over this if I didn't have too many Fieros already and no place to keep them.
Toontown Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Toontown FieroSend a Private Message to Toontown FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has it moved in 15 years? Looks like a battery in it. Does it run? That air cleaner jams into the insulation on the decklid. One backfire away from a fiero/ferrari fusion fire!
ZaraSpOOk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZaraSpOOkSend a Private Message to ZaraSpOOkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if that car was mine and somebody offered $3,000 cash for it I'd grab the cash and run so fast I'd be recruited to join the Jamaican relay team

Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2012 03:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toontown Fiero:

Has it moved in 15 years? Looks like a battery in it. Does it run? That air cleaner jams into the insulation on the decklid. One backfire away from a fiero/ferrari fusion fire!

The seller told me that a rad hose ruptured and needs to be replaced, but other than that I'm told it should run fine. It definitely shows signs of deterioration from sitting but anyone who's built a kit can appreciate the amount of work that's gone into this car. Don't get me wrong, it needs a lot of work to get it near it's former self. Much of the original engine bay work is not up to my aesthetic standards and would require a full winters work to get something I could be proud of. I just can't justify putting the labor into a car I don't really care for in terms of body styling. Now if this were Diablo kit, I wouldn't even ask the wife before taking out a loan.
PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2012 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i'd say at least 10,000 to 12,000. That thing was a LOT of work - sloped windshield, targa / convertible, V8, frame stretch plus the koenig TR body. Yow !
355Fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2012 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw this car up close when I was dealing with Blaine so many years ago. It was a beautiful car back then. It was his brother-in-law's car for payment as Sandy said. The red testarossa 512tr2 in the pics was Blaine's car and it had an engine fire and had the back end burned up. They rebuilt it and got them both out of the shop just before the police and repo folks came and shut the shop down and locked everyone out. Incidentally, he also got his good moulds out of the shop as well and another fellow now has all of them and can build more bodies.

Really big, I sent you a pm. I would like to go see the car when I am back out in Calgary in January and talk to the current owner. I might be able to help sort some of the stuff out and help him get a realistic asking price. Unfortunately, these replicas are worth so much more when done than when work is required.....

Cheers
Don

[This message has been edited by 355Fiero (edited 12-30-2012).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post12-30-2012 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interested in a trade? Something could be figured out after that...

------------------

Fieroking Customs

dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2012 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to say, Tonys car is immaculate. One of my favorite Fieros. Right from the color to everything else. I like both cars, but Tonys car is finished. I would love to see this car after Tony got finished with it.

[This message has been edited by dratts (edited 12-30-2012).]

Toontown Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2012 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Toontown FieroSend a Private Message to Toontown FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That dash is pretty sweet. It would be a nice car if brought back into good driving (and stopping) condition. Too bad somebody took a shortcut with the speaker addition.
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 355Fiero:

Really big, I sent you a pm. I would like to go see the car when I am back out in Calgary in January and talk to the current owner. I might be able to help sort some of the stuff out and help him get a realistic asking price. Unfortunately, these replicas are worth so much more when done than when work is required.....

Cheers
Don

PM sent right back atcha!

I'm sure he'll appreciate any help he's given. Seemed like a good guy.
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Reallybig

974 posts
Member since Mar 2011

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Interested in a trade? Something could be figured out after that...

Tony...sent you a PM !

Kurt
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2013 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got an email from the owner of this car 6hrs ago telling me that it has been sold. Any chance it was bought by some one here?
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2013 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If anyone is interested, I have the contact info for the gentleman that has the original CK3 molds for this car. It would be a lot of work, but you could make it yourself.

Bob
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock