TunerPro RT not connecting to 7730 by ConvictedRedneck
Started on: 04-21-2012 06:46 PM
Replies: 11 (1501 views)
Last post by: BowtieBob on 07-27-2013 10:48 PM
ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm having trouble getting TunerPro v5 to connect to my 7730 ECM. Phonedawgz, I followed all the directions in your "Using tunerpro RT as a scanner setup" thread but am still having trouble.

I'm using the Moates extreme ALDL USB cable. Should it be on the 10k resistor or open setting?

Either way, I go through and tunerpro says the cable is found and functioning.

I'm running a modified $8f code from Ryan, so what definition file do I need? The $8F .ads file from tunerpro.net? Do I also need a .bin file? And I don't need an .xdf file, correct?

The problem is, I turn the key 'on' and hit connect and is just sits there trying to connect. It never says "can't connect" it just always says "DA: connecting..."

I'm kind of just stuck here scratching my head...I don't know what I'm doing wrong. This seems like it should be pretty straightforward.

ETA: I read a couple other threads on forums about people having problems connecting specifically to 7730's but couldn't find any specific solutions. Anyone have trouble with this before?

[This message has been edited by ConvictedRedneck (edited 04-21-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Moates extreme ALDL to USB cable - ick (just kidding)

On my cables the 10k resistor is always there, so idk what you get without it. I do know it works for me with the $88 and using the 10K

Are you using TunerPro or TunerPro RT. TunerPro RT has a 15 second nag screen at the start of it and then it is fully functional, so even if you don't want to purchase TP RT it is suggested.

Yes you need the $8f .ads file

If using TP RT did you 'import' the ads? You should have had to and then TP RT would save it as an adx

No you do not need the bin or xdf files
ConvictedRedneck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tunerpro RT. Yes, imported it as .ads (only one available for $8f) and then it prompted me to save it as an .adx which I did.

With the 7730 conversion, there was only one wire at the aldl connector to move, correct?

I'm thinking maybe this could be related to my problem I mentioned in my other thread where my fan comes on all the time with the key in the 'on' position, even without A-B jumpered.
ConvictedRedneck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ConvictedRedneck

1034 posts
Member since Nov 2005
Also, I opened an xdf file and now it's part of the header in tunerpro. How do I "close" an xdf file?
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can't really close an xdf file. It doesn't affect the data acquisition side anyways.

So you do have the wire moved to pin M correct?

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm having a similar problem. I'm using a 7730 ECM with the $A1 code mask. I have TunerPro RT v5, and the A1 adx file. I have the serial port configured correctly (or at least, I think), and the ALDL cable (serial port version) is detected. But whenever I start data acquisition, I just get a constant stream of errors. I've tried it with the 10k resistor "on" and "off", with no change. And my data line is on pin M of the ALDL plug.

Any ideas?
ConvictedRedneck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Correct, data line moved to pin M.

Blacktree, same situation except I don't get errors, it just sits there and doesn't do anything.

At the bottom where it says "Not emulating" and "DA: Not connected" what else should/shouldn't it say when your plugged into ALDL with/without engine on? Mine says "Hardware not found" all the time and "Not ready" most of the time...

Is moving Pin M at ALDL possibly the problem?
ConvictedRedneck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ConvictedRedneck

1034 posts
Member since Nov 2005
How about in 'Edit ADX'...should 'Signed' or 'LSB first' be checked? Anything else in there need to be changed?
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can send you a test set up that I use with a known working USB cable, a known working 7730 with MEM.CAL and a known working test cable that plugs into the 7730, connects to 12v and has an ALDL cable. Then you should be able to make some sense of what does work and then also come up with what is not working with your set up. There will be a core charge for the stuff, but then return whatever you don't use and I will refund the core charge for whatever you don't use.
BowtieBob

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BowtieBobSend a Private Message to BowtieBobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ConvictedRedneck, did you ever figure this one out?
I am having the same problem with Tunerpro RT on both a 1988 2.8 V6 using the $24 ads file from tunerpro.net (imported to an adx) and also on a 1988 2.5 using the 87-88_2.5.adx file from phonedawgz (thanks phonedawgz!). I connected the cable with jumpers using bare pins on the ALDL to be sure there was electrical connection, but it's stuck at attempting to communicate just like you said in your initial post. Tunerpro does recognize the USB cable. I am using a OBD Diagnostics 12 pin USB/ALDL cable with the 10kOhm jumpered in (so phonedawgz please don't flame me).
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You bastard.

Anyways now that THAT is over go here and download my install disk - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/224...River%20USB-ALDL.zip

It also includes all the .ADX files already converted just in case that was the problem.

One thing that I have been having problems with is the version 2.08.28 FTDI FT232RL driver. After unziping my disk run AutoRun to get to my main menu. Under "Read First - Overview + Troubleshooting" look for "If you suspect the incompatible drivers were installed" and following the instructions check to see what version your drivers are, and if they are the .28 it also tells you how to change them, and the new (old) drivers are in the install disk.

If that doesn't fix things, in TunerPro RT, with the cable connected to the computer, but not connected to the ALDL port, do you get a "Cable Passed" indication at the COM PORT selection?
PFF
System Bot
BowtieBob

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BowtieBobSend a Private Message to BowtieBobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, I'll see if another driver makes a difference.
Yes my current USB cable is recognized by Tunerpro on com 3.
Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by BowtieBob (edited 07-28-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock