Started on: 03-22-2012 08:50 PM
Replies: 180 (12146 views)
Last post by: KissMySSFiero on 03-27-2018 02:22 PM
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2012 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hacked up the old HTOB alot to use it as a spacer, but it would still require more work to get it to work, since it IS the input shaft seal. So I looked into spacers from SPEC, and my .25 spacer was $44 shipped. I rather do that then spend all this time on that old HTOB which is actually too thick right now still, and have a chance of it leaking and what-not.

Page 2 ownage!

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 08-26-2012).]

IP: Logged
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2012 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$44...omg

since it IS the input shaft seal.

Oh yeah. I guess that wont work

I wonder if I could epoxy and lightly tack-weld a washer onto the bearing plate. I may just do a pedal stop like others have suggested...
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2012 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would suggest against epoxy and a large washer...haha.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 04-25-2012).]

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2012 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took a drill and spun the intermediate shaft while in gear and it spun the input shaft.(the allen bolt that needs to be removed to split the case) I took my 6" metabo with a grinding wheel held it up to the input shaft while it was spinning until it was turned down to spec. I turned it down to .750" (same as 282 getrag) and .350" deep. The hole inside the 3800 crank is .800"

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 04-12-2012).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2012 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice! That worked out great.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2012 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you guys have the link on the SPEC website for the spacer? I will likely need this too for my F23 swap

thanks
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2012 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

Do you guys have the link on the SPEC website for the spacer? I will likely need this too for my F23 swap

thanks

There is no link, I just emailed them and asked for a 3800/F23 Fiero spacer for the thickness I needed.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Roughed in the mounts today. Still quite a bit of trimming and welding to do. Its mostly all stainless since its what was available. Anyone see any additional bracing I should do? I'm going to put a plate on the back side of the front mount to box it in a bit.

------------------
11.54@132.7

ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not understanding your front side mount, got any better pics?

------------------
there's a Group on 60degreeV6.com for us 660 Fiero owners!

Fiero Owner's group on 60degreeV6.com

I know these lines Look crooked on paper, but I swear I've got them straight in my head.

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah it's not a great picture. I'll take more when its all done. Its a bushing/dog bone design. On the back side I retained the dodge mount that I used before. The dodge mount didn't too well on the front since it gets a pulling motion under power.

------------------
11.54@132.7

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2012 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I had to clearance the inside of the trans so the pressure plate wont interfere. I guess it only hits with the style of PP I have. I bolted it together and turned the motor over with a wrench. I can turn it all the way around but I do feel and hear it still rubbing just a tiny bit. I'll just let it rub the rest away on its own.

Finished up some of the mounts. Waiting on the poly to cure for the bottom half of the front mount.

------------------
11.54@132.7

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 04-17-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2012 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea now I can see why the pressure plate would just stop solid, I didn't know you had to remove that much.

But, about that front mount design, idk. It's holding all the weight in tension, and acting as a lever of sorts on those two top bolts. Not sure how well that's going to work. But I guess we will see.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 06-05-2012).]

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree that's not a good design for the front mount... especially at your power level.

Also, can't you get the correct pressure plate from SPEC (or ClutchNet for that matter...) so that you don't have to grind on the transmission case? That's a part of the case that is under some stress from the final drive mesh, and has been shown to fail on 282's.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

those two top bolts.

There is 3 bolts on the trans.

Originally posted by Will:

I agree that's not a good design for the front mount... especially at your power level.

Have any suggestions? I'm pretty limited to what I can do in that corner.

Also, can't you get the correct pressure plate from SPEC (or ClutchNet for that matter...) so that you don't have to grind on the transmission case? That's a part of the case that is under some stress from the final drive mesh, and has been shown to fail on 282's.

Yes I could for $300-$400 plus resurfacing cost. If this was a new build I would get the correct pressure plate. There is a lot of meat around that area and if it worked for Jncomutt I'm willing to give it a shot. I'll post the destruction when it happens.

------------------
11.54@132.7

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 04-18-2012).]

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

Originally posted by ericjon262:
wow, you will have to get pretty creative there, your best bet will probably be to come off the bellhousing with a mount there.how about putting the cobalt goods in the cavalier case?

I'll ask again...

------------------
there's a Group on 60degreeV6.com for us 660 Fiero owners!

Fiero Owner's group on 60degreeV6.com

I know these lines Look crooked on paper, but I swear I've got them straight in my head.

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

I'll ask again...

Sounds like too much work.

------------------
11.54@132.7

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sounds like too much work.

it sounds to me like less work then having to re-engineer a mount with it in the car.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not familiar with F23's, but can you either add extra support from one or more case half bolts and maybe the end cap bolts OR build a bracket on the body frame rail to bolt up a mount that will bolt directly to the boss on the trans case without putting so much leverage on it.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I called Roger Thelin today for the HTOB to fiero clutch line adapter and it's on the way. He is probably the nicest person I have ever talked to on the phone before!

------------------
11.54@132.7

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2012 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put in a few more hours today. I pulled the trans back off to take a look at where it was hitting. I lightly shaved/nicked off the corner of the PP where it was hitting. Now i can't hear or feel it hitting at all. Roger said to bleed this HTOB, all you do is rapidly push the clutch pedal 15 times. Sure enough, worked like a charm. It feels really good and releases fully just before I hit the floor. My fingers on the PP stick out more than Matt's. I did some measuring and didn't think I needed a spacer. So far so good.

Got the cradle back in and it looks like it would very easy to make a mount to the frame rail of the car. Should give some hope to anyone else doing the hybrid F23. I think all I have left is shift cable brackets.

------------------
11.54@132.7

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 04-24-2012).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So you are saying the clutch engages not far off the floor? Huh, mine is the exact opposite, it engages at the very top of the pedal travel.

But it all looks good. Hope it works well for you. I'm wanting that turbo though.

PFF
System Bot
akademikjeanius

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for akademikjeaniusSend a Private Message to akademikjeaniusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I called Roger Thelin today for the HTOB to fiero clutch line adapter and it's on the way. He is probably the nicest person I have ever talked to on the phone before!

Yeah, Thelin is an awesome dude. Always a learning session when I speak to him and as cool as a cucumber....

Sweet build thread, BTW. Want to do the same trans swap to my car.
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good Justin. That mount looks like an interesting solution. But if it holds on your car, it should hold on anything!

And omg, replace your suspension bushings. Even from a distance in those pics, I can see how destroyed they are.

------------------
'04 Mazda RX8 Build Thread
'88 GT- 3800 Turbo 11.367@121.03mph (Sold and gone now)
GM Tuners

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AkursedX:

And omg, replace your suspension bushings. Even from a distance in those pics, I can see how destroyed they are.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/120882.html
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AkursedX:

Looking good Justin. That mount looks like an interesting solution. But if it holds on your car, it should hold on anything!

The mount is far less crazy looking in person. I would have most likely just tossed a small hunk of plate on it and welded straight to the "dogbone" thing.
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Put in a few more hours today. I pulled the trans back off to take a look at where it was hitting. I lightly shaved/nicked off the corner of the PP where it was hitting. Now i can't hear or feel it hitting at all.

The general rule of thumb on clearances is you want 0.050" minimum to allow for heat expansion and such. Seeing as how your engine will have some thrust movement of the crank, you may want to give yourself just a bit more. But you certainly don't want ANYTHING rubbing - especially if you are using knock sensors. Any kind of contact will create a noise which will trigger false knock.

Use modeling clay to measure your clearances in these areas where you can't see nor get to them when everything is assembled.

-ryan
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
God I want a turbo and F23 right now! Just have to wait.

Thanks for pioneering and documenting this stuff guys.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i really like your mount .with a dogbone limiting the rocking motion i think you have all the strength you need .and the three bolt boss on the tranny housing looks really substantial .it will be really interesting to see how an F23 holds up to turbo 3800 torque .
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

God I want a turbo and F23 right now! Just have to wait.

Thanks for pioneering and documenting this stuff guys.

Sure thing, it was a...good learning experience to say the least. Now I just want the Turbo.

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Sure thing, it was a...good learning experience to say the least. Now I just want the Turbo.

I've got two turbos sitting here and probably 90% of the parts I need. Only problem is that I have 0% of the fabrication done
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My problem is I don't think my N/A internals can take that much boost (reliably) before exploding...Boost will come in the future, most likely with a different engine built up, right now I'm going for MPG that is why I have an N/A and kept the EGR, the F23, and 195/70/14 tires.

PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My problem is I don't think my N/A internals can take that much boost (reliably) before exploding...Boost will come in the future, most likely with a different engine built up, right now I'm going for MPG that is why I have an N/A and kept the EGR, the F23, and 195/70/14 tires.

Just because Justin and I broke his racing the crap out of it at well over 500whp levels does not mean you can not take care of a 300whp setup and have it last forever.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Just because Justin and I broke his racing the crap out of it at well over 500whp levels does not mean you can not take care of a 300whp setup and have it last forever.

So the N/A should be fine at 300whp? The L36, not the L26.

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So the N/A should be fine at 300whp? The L36, not the L26.

I would venture to say that the L36 is stronger than the L26. If I didn't find my L32 for the price I did I would have put in another l26 or l36. I abused the L26 for a solid year before it let go.

------------------
11.54@132.7

slideways

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2012 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slidewaysSend a Private Message to slidewaysEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is looking sweet man, I joined up at the right time! What do you plan of doing for shifter cables? I assume the F23 wants to be fed from the back since it was FWD, can you just extend the cables? or is there a cleaner way... and is the throw length of the fiero shifter OK for the F23 or did you swap the entire linkage as well?
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2012 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

i will be really interesting to see how an F23 holds up to turbo 3800 torque .

+1, can't wait to hear the results!

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2012 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Too bad its a turbo motor... Remember turbos dont make any torque!
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2012 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Too bad its a turbo motor... Remember turbos dont make any torque!

Since when? lol

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2012 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got it rowing through the gears today. I'll try to get some pictures, maybe tomorrow. It's not pretty, lol.

------------------
11.54@132.7

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2012 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Justinbart

3259 posts
Member since Sep 2009
Damn it! Why didn't I put a ST5 cam in while I had the cradle out??

------------------
11.54@132.7

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave