Firebird BCM working! by fieroluke
Started on: 09-09-2010 10:51 AM
Replies: 91 (8039 views)
Last post by: Lunatic on 10-09-2016 01:18 PM
fieroluke

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2010 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi everybody,

I had been playing with the idea for a while, but I finally did it: I installed a '98-''02 Firebird Body Control Module (BCM) in my 87GT.
The upgrade wasn't that difficult at all, but I did take out the dash for installation. The f-body BCM offers a lot of nifty functions in the Fiero:

RKE with GM style fobs, visual (parking lights) and optional audio (horn) feedback
Individual remote driver/passenger door unlocking and remote trunk unlocking
Retained accessory power (RAP) for radio and power windows,
car alarm with theft deterrent LED, panic button, tamper and shock sensing (with optional shock sensor)
illuminated entry and exit, courtesy light control with battery run down protection
system personalisation
and much more

The Fiero feels like a 15 year younger car now with all those comfort features, and the upgrade wasn't all that difficult, and cheap too ($50 for the BCM plus
new key fobs). If you care, my how-to for the upgrade can be found here: http://www.fieros.de/en/articles/BCM.html - complete with the schematics.

I hope someone will find this useful or interesting.

Have fun!

-Oliver
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2010 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, nice job! Keyless entry, an alarm, AND a replacement for the blue dingy thingy!

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

AnimalGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2010 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AnimalGTSend a Private Message to AnimalGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent work!!! Wanna come over and do this to mine?
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2010 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
good job! I really hate the BCM in my Aztek.... I had to replace it
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2010 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually I have a question already: did you happen to find a list of which part # BCM's would work, or which ones include keyless, alarm, etc? All the used ones I've found are in the $100 range ($80 from my local junkyard), and new ones I've found are around $150-200.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2010 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Actually I have a question already: did you happen to find a list of which part # BCM's would work, or which ones include keyless, alarm, etc? All the used ones I've found are in the $100 range ($80 from my local junkyard), and new ones I've found are around $150-200.

new ones would have to be programmed... fyi....
fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2010 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As far as I know, only 09353691 comes with RKE, but that part number is good for both Camaros and Firebirds from 96-02, so the BCMs shouldn't be rare. Check out F-body forums, they're parting out cars all the time.

As far as using a new unit: programming involves hooking up any of the 15 resistor values. The new BCM learns it automatically, and that's it. No big deal. Finding out the value of a used unit involves way more time...

And the only two varieties are with and without RKE. The alarm / anti theft stuff is always there if RKE is present.

[This message has been edited by fieroluke (edited 09-09-2010).]

donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2010 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Saved to favorites! Nice job kind of brings our little cars into the 21 century LOL!
fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2010 04:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
@donnie: Yup, that was the idea, and it makes a big difference, the car "feels" newer... (it's hard to describe...)

@animalGT: no problem, but I don't know when I'll be in the US again ;-)
Seriously, now that I've done it once, doing it again would take a lot less time, and could probably be done in a few hours...
I just triple checked everything and took pics and notes, and that took lots of time...
germangt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2010 04:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for germangtSend a Private Message to germangtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AnimalGT:

Excellent work!!! Wanna come over and do this to mine?

Hi Oliver,

looks very good to me. As you know the distance to me is much less than to AnimalGT
So you be willing to train your installation with my car first?! If one of the american PFF People has a BCM surplus, i will take it.
fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2010 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No problem! I have a few leftover terminals - you just need the connector shells...

Just make sure you get the connectors along with the BCM, the you're all set...
PFF
System Bot
MrBoernie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2010 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MrBoernieClick Here to visit MrBoernie's HomePageSend a Private Message to MrBoernieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very good work Oliver! I'm looking forward to have one

------------------
My wife told me to choose: her or my Fieros... I miss her sometimes!

1984 Indy #1495
1988 GT

fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2010 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No Problem, it'll be my pleasure.
The Problem will be finding a BCM in Germany...
tigershark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tigersharkSend a Private Message to tigersharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man you are really making me want this! sounds like a fun Upgrade.

------------------
87 coupe sunset orange 5 speed Tenzo RS5

[This message has been edited by tigershark (edited 09-24-2010).]

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got one with a different part number off ebay, a keyless remote, and a full set of 98 F-body shop manuals. As soon as it stops raining here, I'll hit up the junkyard to get the harnesses for it, and start messing around with it.

The one I got is supposedly from a 98 Firebird 3.8 V6, GM part # 16239981.
fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2010 05:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Man you are really making me want this! sounds like a fun Upgrade.

It really is. It was fun (a lot of work too, but fun work) to install it, but man, now that I have it I love it to death!
I love the remote lock verification feature (no need to turn around when walking away from the car to know it's locked), and I love the radio keeps playing until I get out of the car.

------------------
Visit my website: www.fieros.de for lots of technical and other Fiero related information
87 GT daily driver with Firebird Body Control Module, Power Window Controllers and Dash mounted Scantool/Trip Computer

fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2010 05:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroluke

357 posts
Member since Mar 2001

I got one with a different part number off ebay

Do you have a picture?
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2010 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroluke:

Do you have a picture?

Just took one for you! I got back from the junkyard about an hour ago, went to get the wiring. I also found the shock sensor for the alarm.

I got the full set of manuals for the 98 F-body, including the update/supplement which does contain some BCM info

One thing I'm wondering about in the above pic, is that green connector. All it seems to do is extend the wires, because the wires going in and out of it are all the same color, and locations? Just seems odd. Wiring came from a 98 Camaro, shock sensor is part # 10268461

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2010 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A very unique upgrade. Your technical skills are top notch. Are you the famous Oliver Scholz that we first came in contact with in the mid 1990's that was making the in dash scanner for the Fiero? If so I remember going over your extensive disassembly of the data code that you did on the various ECM's of the time

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2010 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Dennis,

Yup, that's me. Wow, it's been a while, you're right, mid 90's sounds right

Family is taking away precious tinkering time now, but I'm still obsessed as you can see... ;-)
Too many unfinished projects and too little time...

Hope all is well with you...

Best regards

Oliver

------------------
Visit my website: www.fieros.de for lots of technical and other Fiero related information
Maroon 87 GT daily driver with Firebird Body Control Module, Power Window Controllers and Dash mounted Scantool/Trip Computer

fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2010 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroluke

357 posts
Member since Mar 2001
Hi

KUB 16239981 should work as well. I've updated my page with cross references of part numbers that should and shouldn't work.

------------------
Maroon 87 GT daily driver with Firebird Body Control Module, Power Window Controllers and Dash mounted Scantool/Trip Computer

PFF
System Bot
Dizzixx

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2010 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Top notch documentation
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2010 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hi everybody,

I had been playing with the idea for a while, but I finally did it: I installed a '98-''02 Firebird Body Control Module (BCM) in my 87GT.
The upgrade wasn't that difficult at all, but I did take out the dash for installation. The f-body BCM offers a lot of nifty functions in the Fiero:

-Oliver

Once again your skills amaze me. I have a box full of those in my parts room that I knew I would have a use for someday. This is on my list of things to do...

fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2010 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Jonathan

By all means, do it!
This is seriously the best thing I've ever done to my Fiero!
The dimming dome lights, keeping the radio on after ignition off, separate door unlocking, etc.
It's probably one feature per terminal pin, if you need motivation... ;-)

fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have all parts together now for doing my second Fiero, so I'm taking picture requests...

Is there anything you feel should be documented better?

------------------

Yellow88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Yellow88GTClick Here to visit Yellow88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Yellow88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent writeup Oliver!

After reading your site, I thought that since my car is already apart, this would be an awesome time to upgrade. After a quick check, my local Pick and Pull had a 2002 Camaro that had been added to the yard about 3 weeks ago. So I went over to see, and sure enough the module was still there. It is located in the same place as the Firebird unit, just where you said it would be

I pulled it, all of the connectors and as much cable as I could get:

My only concern is that the Camaro took a good pop to the front end, both airbags deployed and the engine was eating the radiator

Total cost was $53

Thanks for sharing this with us! I can't wait to get it put back together.

Jerry

fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2010 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliment, Jerry!

Was the BCM hard to yank out?

I don't think the BCM would be damaged in a crash. I'm also very much looking forward to upgrading my yellow baby!
If only it was summer again...

------------------

[This message has been edited by fieroluke (edited 10-18-2010).]

Yellow88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2010 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Yellow88GTClick Here to visit Yellow88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Yellow88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Was the BCM hard to yank out?

It required a stout tug to get it out of the cradle it is in. There are not any locking tabs holding it in the cradle. Only the squared off parts of the module's edges seem to hold it in place. The cradle is made of fairly flexible plastic, I was going to attempt to remove the cradle, but it appears to be molded into the larger under dash assembly.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you end up securing the BCM under you dash?

Thanks,

Jerry

[This message has been edited by Yellow88GT (edited 10-18-2010).]

fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2010 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Jerry,

I didn't secure it much at all. The Fiero wires are a lot thicker than the original F-body wires. As a result, the three connectors and harnesses are pretty stiff when taped. The harnesses come from the passenger side, and I let them run towards the driver side A-pillar, then make a 180 degree turn towards the passenger side, and then 90 degree "up". The harnesses, when taped, act sort of like a spring, and I had to push the BCM down along the front firewall to mount the dash. I've had the GM VSS-201 remote unlock receiver in this location without securing it for over 10 years, and never had a problem...

As you've seen, GM didn't secure the BCM much in the f-body either, so I guess it'll be fine where it is...

------------------

CaravanBill

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2010 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaravanBillSend a Private Message to CaravanBillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome post! And the documentation is thorough enough that I even feel confident enough try it myself.

Major kudos to you sir!!!
fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update notice: added a few part numbers, and added a section regarding the shock sensor

2nd Update notice: added information about shock sensor part numbers and which sensors fail due to a manufacturing flaw.
------------------

[This message has been edited by fieroluke (edited 11-16-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2011 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for an amazing thread! Looks like I will be going back to the Fire bird or Camaro at the pick and pull for another pull. I can't believe I missed this thread before!

[This message has been edited by katore8105 (edited 01-03-2011).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2011 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
whoa heck yea! i see these cars in PAP all the time!!!
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2011 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

americasfuture2k

7131 posts
Member since Jan 2006
im adding this to my modernize your fiero with technology thread! good work! you get a golden star for this one sir.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | modernize your fiero with technology!
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

since i seem to be getting so many PM's about my hitch, ill answer right here
the trailor hitch/bike rack hitch jack, lifting and resting points...

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 01-15-2011).]

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2011 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I Just spent the past hour and a half reading about how to add a BCM to a Fiero. Exellent reading and a very good set of instructions. Wanted to say 'Thanks' to Oliver.
1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2011 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love this idea! Never really thought of it, but it is a very nice and easy upgrade. I would compare it to a remote start install. One thing though, you should be able to use a BCM from pretty much any 2000+ GM. Almost all of them had these features as standard equipment. Venture van (sliding door button could be whatever you want), Cavalier, Malibu, Silverado, Sierra, LeSabre, Bonneville, Grand Prix, ect, ect, ect.

You would want to get the schematics for these other vehicles, but they should work fine too with the correct connections.
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 01-05-2016).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
keyfobs can be had from ebay or the dealer. not sure about price at the dealer. for syncing them to the car, there is a process you have to go through that involves holding a button on the fob and cycling the key on off on and watching for the door locks to cycle. or its something close to that. the FB owners manual will specify exactly how to do it. it was the same on my blazer... maybe my c4 too. dont remember and dont think i had to sync the vette fobs. im sure the dealer would be glad to sync em for you for an ass load of money. but just image the looks on their faces when you say i need my key fobs synced to my fiero. lol

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | modernize your fiero with technology!
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

since i seem to be getting so many PM's about my hitch, ill answer right here
the trailor hitch/bike rack hitch jack, lifting and resting points...

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2011 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this does eliminate a lot of the other aftermarket accessories i listed in my modernize thread. saves space and most importantly, money!
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2011 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have all parts together now for doing my second Fiero, so I'm taking picture requests...

Is there anything you feel should be documented better?

Does your DashScan kit work with the '7730 ECM?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock