Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Latest GM Pricing for 3800 SC maintenance / swap parts (as of 12-28-09)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Latest GM Pricing for 3800 SC maintenance / swap parts (as of 12-28-09) by Darth Fiero
Started on: 12-28-2009 09:28 PM
Replies: 22 (3889 views)
Last post by: Yes-ThatGuy on 04-10-2014 10:07 PM
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2009 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm starting another L67 swap project and I took a trip to the dealer today to get some maintenance / swap parts I need for the project. Below is a listing of the parts commonly needed to repair leaks on these engines and other things you might need for a Fiero swap as well as their current GM list price.

24505049 - Water bypass gasket (goes between bypass plate and lower intake manifold under throttle body). GM list: $8.20
89017825 - Lower intake gasket set (metal shim gaskets to replace OE plastic). GM list: $66.40.
24501563 - Lower intake to SC coolant passage seals (need 2, yellow o-rings that fit in lower intake). GM list: $5.65 ea.
24503937 - Valve cover gasket (need 2, specific to SC valve covers). GM list: $23.27 ea.
12564509 - 6-rib idler pulley (I use for converting to low alt mount). GM list: $43.56.
12587964 - Oil Pan gasket (use in conjunction with RTV to cure oil pan leak issue). GM list: $65.00.
24503911 - Supercharger base gasket. GM list: $12.56.
12581570 - Oil pickup tube gasket. GM list: $3.65.
24503648 - Throttle body gasket. GM list: $8.73.
15286606 - Exhaust manifold to downpipe flange gasket. GM list: $18.12.
10096181 - Combination coolant temp sensor / gauge sending unit (3-wire). GM list: $30.89.

Below is a picture of the ABS-plastic air induction piece I use for building my CAI setups for 3800 installs...

25176891 - GM Truck induction tube/duct w/ bellows and clamps. GM list: $49.63.
edit to add latest GM list price for the induction tube is now $59.81.

I cut these in half (roughly) and reassemble using the included ends and clamps to make a nice looking, non-metallic, 3.5" cold air intake system for my 3800 swaps. I use this in conjunction with a K&N RU-3130 open-element filter that is placed in the area just ahead of the left rear tire (after removing the Fiero water separator).

-ryan

------------------
6+ years on this same swap -- NO engine or transmission failures...

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 08-30-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
KEV

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2009 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KEVSend a Private Message to KEVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks ryan for the info!

------------------

1999 GMC Jimmy 2dr 4x4..V8 swap someday.
1997 Grand Prix GTP 161k miles and going strong.
1987 Fiero Coupe 5spd For sale
1987 Fiero Coupe 5spd,Steel Wheels
1986 Fiero Base Coupe 5spd..Steel Wheels Baby!
1985 Fiero GT 3800 N/A ...3800 S/C being rebuilt now.
1984 Fiero Indy #1098 w/ Centerline Wheels,Hooker Tri-y header and Indy Scoop with Strobe's

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2009 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
going to add to the ulti thread.

------------------

The only person Banned on the DHP Forum is FastFieros and that was done by Charles a Long, Long, Long Time ago and it wasn't for trash talking....

Ultimate 3800 swap thread
JamesCurtis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2010 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good info, wish I would've seen this before I started my swap!

------------------

R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2010 05:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great info Ryan! Thanks for posting.
MattMan

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2010 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MattManSend a Private Message to MattManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ryan,

Thanks for the info! Question: do you know if these parts work for the L32 as well? I will be starting to rebuild mine soon. Any additional parts I should be aware of for an L32?
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2010 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MattMan:

Ryan,

Thanks for the info! Question: do you know if these parts work for the L32 as well? I will be starting to rebuild mine soon. Any additional parts I should be aware of for an L32?

Supercharger base gasket is different and the throttle body gasket is too. But everything else should be the same.

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 04-07-2010).]

Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2010 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ryan anyway you can post a installed picture or at least a pic of the intake modifyed so we can get a better idea of how you ran it?
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2010 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tstang429:

Ryan anyway you can post a installed picture or at least a pic of the intake modifyed so we can get a better idea of how you ran it?

I assume you are talking about the air induction piping? Here are some installed pics of that:

You can get away with using only 1 induction tube (cut in half and reassembled) if you run a smaller open-element air filter as seen below:

If you run a larger filter, you may need to buy a second induction tube and cut the elbow off of it so you can orient the filter as shown below:

Tstang429

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2010 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes thank you sir.
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any idea what truck that comes off?

------------------

Currently in the middle of my 88 + 3800NA swap

PFF
System Bot
Justin Heileman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Justin HeilemanSend a Private Message to Justin HeilemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly it is a cat-eyed 4.3 intake. It's a great idea and is what I'm running on my car too!
Tstang429

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I pulled mine off of a 200+ full size Gmc truck
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2012 04:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for recent interest and so I could add it to my favorites list.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2012 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice thread!

Do you not have to incorporate a sensor into the tubing? I don't see one on the picture. MAF?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2012 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When it was time for me to do my PCM re-program Ryan generously emailed me the LS1 MAF table values and provided helpful wiring charts that are still available on his website. Great new info from a guy who's always helped out the Fiero community. One comment on the GM 3800 parts; in some cases ZZ Performance, Victor Reinz and/or Felpro also make these parts so there are alternatives.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2012 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the TDC car running again, I am gonna see if I can make Ryan's CAI work with this set up.
Luke

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2012 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LukeClick Here to visit Luke's HomePageSend a Private Message to LukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The pics darth posted are running a stock TB. the MAF is incorporate into it. As for the other sensor (IAT) you cant see it in his first setup but in the second setup (the white car) you can see it plugged in just above the air filter.

I ran a 3" intake in pretty much the same fashion as everyone here, I will be running a 4" version on my dads car and upgrading to a 4" on mine once I have the funds.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2012 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In truth, the IAT sensor doesn't even need to be installed into the air induction tube. What I've been doing since I took these pictures is just zip tying the IAT sensor next to the air filter. No reason to drill a hole into the plastic duct to install the IAT sensor and then having to worry about getting it to seal up properly so no dirt can get into the induction system around the IAT sensor. Just "hang" the IAT sensor out there next to the air filter and it will accomplish the same task.
Yes-ThatGuy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Yes-ThatGuySend a Private Message to Yes-ThatGuyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

I assume you are talking about the air induction piping? Here are some installed pics of that:

You can get away with using only 1 induction tube (cut in half and reassembled) if you run a smaller open-element air filter as seen below:

If you run a larger filter, you may need to buy a second induction tube and cut the elbow off of it so you can orient the filter as shown below:

Any pictures of exactly where you cut the tubing in "half"?
Do you have to modify the tubing to fit the stock L67 throttle body? Brand new it seems under sized.
Is it normal to cut the frame opening a little bigger? My 84 does not seem have room for the tubing and fit under the fuel filler pipe.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

I moved my air cleaner from the wheel well are back into the engine area. Down there it was getting dirty all the time. I moved up and it still in the pinkish color which means it is clean and flowing air properly.
PFF
System Bot
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

I moved my air cleaner from the wheel well are back into the engine area. Down there it was getting dirty all the time. I moved up and it still in the pinkish color which means it is clean and flowing air properly.

So you prefer a hot air intake?

The filter in those pictures isn't in the wheel well, the splash guard is replaced after installing the filter there. I clean my filter when I store my car for winter, last year I put over 12k miles on my Fiero with the filter installed there and it was barely dirty at all last fall.
Yes-ThatGuy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Yes-ThatGuySend a Private Message to Yes-ThatGuyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok I got this CAI installed the other day. Wish I took some pics.
For anyone else doing this mod I used a mini air saw on my 84 to make the opening in the frame a little larger. Moved the fuel lines in the engine compartment down. To make the tube fit on the throttle body I used a heat gun. Heat up the opening on the tube, install and clamp in place.

Also I'm using the Spector air filter from Autozone or Pep Boys. It fits with only using one tube like Darth's first pic.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock