Started on: 03-18-2009 09:01 PM
Replies: 42 (1583 views)
Last post by: paulcal on 08-22-2013 11:47 PM
paulcal

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2011 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for paulcalSend a Private Message to paulcalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So when are we scheduling that fuel pump swap Jeff?

------------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!"

IP: Logged
paulcal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2013 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for paulcalSend a Private Message to paulcalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is indeed an old thread. Now it's my turn to deal with the problem since I just purchased this car from Jeff and Debbie. Weather permitting, I will be going over his house to drop the fuel tank and replace the fuel pump to see if we can get it going again after all this time. Given the problems Jeff has had with fuel pumps burning out in this car, it has always lead me to believe that the cause was voltage related. I think Jeff may have just confirmed my suspicions when he sent me this link earlier tonight. [url= http://www.gmtuners.com/fiero/hot_wire.htm ] http://www.gmtuners.com/fiero/hot_wire.htm [/url]
My 1st priority is to get the car back on the road and over to my house to further troubleshoot the iac problem.

Is it possible that the iac problem is an issue with the chip? I sent Stick Pony a pm to see if he can have a look at it for me or if push comes to shove, send him an extra chip to burn.

Let the fun and games begin.

------------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!"

paulcal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paulcalSend a Private Message to paulcalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
About a month ago I made it by Jeffs and changed out the faulty fuel pump but the car would not start even though we could hear the fuel pump cycling when the key was turned on. A couple of weeks later I came back with a friend who is a mechanic and he deduced that the reason the car wouldn't start was due to no injector pulse. Hmmmm the plot thickens. Given all the weird things that have been going on with this car we came to the conclusion that most of the problems were things that are computer controled, ie, injector pulse, iac motor, fuel pump voltage etc. I pulled the chip and contacted Stickpony and sent him the chip to reporgram with a few of my own requests for performance, shifting and the fact I'm going to be putting 17" wheels and tires on it. Well I got the chip back and didn't get a chance to get back to the car for awhile longer but I did leave the chip on the front seat so it would be there when I did get back to it. I didn't hold out a lot of hope but who knows. Well on one of his day's off Jeff hooked the battery up to a charger and installed the chip in preparation of my return to the project that weekend. Much like myself, Jeff couldn't resist the urge to give the key a turn once the battery was charged and wouldn't you know it, it fired right up and after a few minutes idled down to 825rpms and just sat there and purred at him. IT's ALIVE!
When I arrived last weekend to try and get it home we ran into a few other minor problems that prevented me from driving it very far. When I pulled it out of the back yard we gave it a good bath and I figured that before I try and drive it very far it would be a good idea to check the oil. Holy chocolate milkshake batman. Water had seeped into the oil pan from somewhere and while we were off getting a new oil filter and fresh oil at the store about 10 quarts of water and oil came out of the oil pan. I checked the water level in the engine and it was nice and green and full so I'm about 99% sure that if was just water that had seeped into the motor during the 3 years of so that the car sat parked under a tree. After a complete filter and oil change I fired it up again and let it idle for a while and everything looked the way it was supposed to.
Once we were satisfied with everything Jeff was going to follow me home in his truck while I drove the Fiero. A couple of miles down the road I felt the car pulling strongly to the left and smelled something I couldn't quite put my finger on. The next time I stopped I realized what it was when smoke started coming from the left front wheel well. This car was determined to not leave Jeff's neighborhood. From previous experience I assume that the brake hose was collapsing inside and the brake was not releasing when I let my foot off the brake. Back we go to Jeff's smoking brake and all. One of the things Jeff had not completed yet was a full Grand Am brake upgrade. He had the backs done but not the fronts so rather than mess with the old brakes I went ahead and ordered new brake lines for the fronts as well as some new ceramic brake pads. I received the hoses today and I'll pick up the brake pads tomorrow. In the mean time, Jeff has said he will put the front end up on stands and break the lug nuts loose so it will be ready for me to swap out the front brakes with the Grand Am system this Saturday. I sure would like to drive this thing home this weekend. We'll see what happens. Stay tuned for further updates. I'll probably start my own thread in the near future on this car but I didn't want to leave the original reason this thread was started unfinished. I still don't know if the newly burned chip will fix the problem but I'm sure leaning that way. Time will tell.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock