Started on: 10-14-2008 03:38 PM
Replies: 71 (9065 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 02-07-2021 11:43 AM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2008 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KurtAKX:

Yeah, this is the same car. Chester really dicked the purchaser. He bought this car for $2500, sold the original Indy seats, 3 of the 4 sets of wheels it came with, let it sit unprotected for 3 years, intentionally omitted several mechanical and body issues with the vehicle, and then offered it up for $8500 without the slightest bit of guilt.

Link to where the car was purchased for $2500 //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...030819-1-027967.html

If you compare pictures, you'll see that other than the shot showing the Mr Mike's seats, all the other pictures in the "For Sale" thread are the same ones he posted 3 years earlier in the "Look what I got" thread above. //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-4-032634.html

He clearly wanted to hide the deterioration that took place while being exposed to tree sap, weather and god knows what else during those 3 years. It's most evident looking at the engine itself. I really thought I was looking at pictures showing the condition of the Indy I was buying, NOT what it USED to look like. It was too bad that I never saw the "Look what I got" thread until some time after the deal was done.

Chester had trailered this thing around to various car shows to show it off. I should have also been suspicious when nobody who'd seen the car in person came on PFF saying "Wow, I've seen this Indy and it's an awesome car".

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 03-17-2013).]

IP: Logged
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2008 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KurtAKX:

3.9375" stroke, damn, the hydroplane guy was telling me that all the motors he built with that stroke shook at idle, being that big with no balance shafts.

Once I got all the paperwork that came with the Indy, I was able to find the original owner. He confirmed the car had been in an minor accident. It rolled down a hill and hit a tree. The guy who bought it from him and sold it to me - knew about it. I mean, it's so obvious, there's no way he would not have asked and used it to work a better deal when he was bargaining for it.

He also told me he had an engine vibration at 7200rpm but wasn't sure what was causing it. By the looks of the harmonic balancer, I think it may have been the culprit. Maybe it didn't sit square or had a slight wobble.

I won't have any problems in that regard. Because I'm using hydraulic lifters, engine speed will pretty much be limited to about 6500rpm, and a new balancer will eliminate any problems the old one may have caused.

As it runs now, the idle isn't any much better/worse than the normal 4-cylinder according to the guys who have one. But in my case, it's more likely that the poly in the dogbone transmits and amplifies the vibration into the chassis.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-14-2011).]

Fiero5

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I think Fiero5 bought the original Indy wheels from the car. Not sure who eventually bought the Indy seats.
There was lots of interest though. //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...030819-1-028347.html

Yup, I purchased the white Indy rims from Rob. They looked really good on my Indy
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero5:

Yup, I purchased the white Indy rims from Rob. They looked really good on my Indy

Were they "mint" or just described that way?

Fiero5

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They were in very good condition, at least near mint I would guess. But the reason why was that the owner who had the car before Chester picked it up had installed a different set of rims on the car and "stored" the original rims in bags which helped keep them in excellent condition. I also purchased the rims right after Chester got the Indy too so they didn't get a chance to sit around very long.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2008 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero5:

They were in very good condition, at least near mint I would guess. But the reason why was that the owner who had the car before Chester picked it up had installed a different set of rims on the car and "stored" the original rims in bags which helped keep them in excellent condition. I also purchased the rims right after Chester got the Indy too so they didn't get a chance to sit around very long.

So what started out as a "nearly mint Indy" had its nearly mint Indy seats and nearly mint Indy wheels sold off, and was then left to deteriorate in the weather for 3 years. The least Chester could have done was post pictures of it's true condition when he was selling it - not the 3 year old pics of the garaged car when he bought it.

I can see why any prospective purchaser who saw it in person had to "go home and think about it".
Had it been all Chester claimed, they'd have bought it on the spot.

Santa Nic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2008 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Santa NicSend a Private Message to Santa NicEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it just me, but where is Chester lately. Hanging his head in shame, I hope
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2008 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Santa Nic:

Is it just me, but where is Chester lately. Hanging his head in shame, I hope

He ditched Fiero stuff to go rip off another community.
Santa Nic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2008 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Santa NicSend a Private Message to Santa NicEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any way to warn that community??
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2009 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You've seen what I started with and the work involved in dismantling this "only needs a starter" "nearly mint" (but really wasn't) car.

2-1/2 years later in 2009, the finished SD4 Indy took 2nd Place - Conservative Sports 82-96 at its "official unveiling" at World of Wheels in Feb 2009.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 02-16-2014).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2009 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2009 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

He clearly wanted to hide the deterioration that took place while being exposed to tree sap, weather and god knows what else during those 3 years. It's most evident looking at the engine itself. I really thought I was looking at pictures showing the condition of the Indy I was buying, NOT what it USED to look like.

Apparently a picture of how the Indy was "stored" in Kentucky.
The garage was reserved for the Dirty Rat and Blue GT.
Prior to moving to Kentucky, Chester had no garage at all in New Hampshire.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-26-2015).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2009 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a couple of thoughts...

I broke MY OWN car buying "rules" when I bought this Indy...

1. NEVER buy a car sight unseen.
2. NEVER get an automatic transmission with "performance engine".
3. NEVER buy someone's unfinished project.
4. NEVER believe anything the Seller says.

... an excellent example of "Buyer Beware" for everyone looking at buying a car.
I hope this helps others from making a bad purchase.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 11-30-2012).]

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2009 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a bump for you Tony, too bad you had to restore a "perfect" car.

Nolan
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump - to keep it out of archives...
Cancer Researcher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cancer ResearcherSend a Private Message to Cancer ResearcherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This really needs to stay out of the archives! This is horrible! What's worse is that you let him get away. Just for future reference to everyone, in a case like this you can sue under the deceptive trade practices act and possibly recover 3 times the amount of damages. I think, but not 100% sure that you may be able to use the same against a private seller as well. You still may have time to sue. Consult with an attorney and many will take the case on contingency bases with no upfront fees. Attorney only gets paid if you win.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cancer Researcher:

...Just for future reference to everyone, in a case like this you can sue under the deceptive trade practices act and possibly recover 3 times the amount of damages. I think, but not 100% sure that you may be able to use the same against a private seller as well.

This doesn't apply in private sales when the "magic words" SOLD AS IS are on the Bill of Sale.

There was also the issue of distance and being in 2 different countries (Canada/U.S.). So while I could have seen a laywer, gone to court etc.,
no matter WHAT the Seller claimed, it's likely it would have been deemed "my own fault" for not checking the car out personally first.

That's something I would have done had the car been on eBay/Craiglist, but my judgement was clouded by him being a PFF member held in good regard by the community here.

Hell, ALL the PFF members reading his posting were taken in by his claims as well, and unfortunately there were no postings by those who had seen the car personally saying anything to the contrary (not even PMs to tell me he was lying about its condition).

I bet those guys on PFF who "missed out" are counting themselves very lucky right now for not having had the money to buy it at the time.

There's tons of cars sold everywhere "sight unseen" where the buyers get EXACTLY what they've been told (based on a seller's TRUTHFUL information about everything good AND bad with the car) and sometimes are pleasantly surprised to get a better car than they're expecting.

At the same time, there's unscrupulous "wheeler dealers" selling cars out there "willing to say anything to make a buck."

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-26-2015).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump again...
Xantheon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XantheonClick Here to visit Xantheon's HomePageSend a Private Message to XantheonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First, LOVE the work and detail you've put into the car!

A peek at the dash cluster.

Second, where can one get 150mph speedo and 8K RPM tach for a Fiero - like those pictured here? Any chance you want to sell those, Fierosound? I've heard of the 120, but never seen a matched set like that with 150MPH and 8K...
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 06:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had MOSTLY good results from buying unseen on Ebay, BUT two of them were disasters. My advice is, IF you buy something unseen, you have to assume some defects. No one's opinion of THERE car is going to be up to your standard.

I think much the way you do, if I describe a 9.5 out of 10 it is a cream puff. But with that said someone else looking at their own baby might describe the car better than it is because they either love the car so much or they are, as you said, trying to sell the car for more.

If I am buying something unseen I buy it reduced because I haven't seen it. Just a lesson I have learned the hard way as you have now. It sucks.

But either way, you have a decent, if not considered nice Indy.
Personally, even with the little rust and shade tree mechanic'ing on the car it is still a nice example of a Indy and well worth a restore.

I like a challenge anyways and also when you are done you can say I did this instead of I bought this. :-)

------------------
86 Fiero 2M4 Silver, and 86 GT

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jwrape:

But either way, you have a decent, if not considered nice Indy.
Personally, even with the little rust and shade tree mechanic'ing on the car it is still a nice example of a Indy and well worth a restore.

I like a challenge anyways and also when you are done you can say I did this instead of I bought this. :-)

OLD, OLD thread. Pictures are from 2006 when I bought the car. "Challenges" are EXPENSIVE - more than you'd imagine!

See the buildup and latest pics here (repainted Sept. 2008!!): //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000077.html

PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xantheon:

Second, where can one get 150mph speedo and 8K RPM tach for a Fiero - like those pictured here? Any chance you want to sell those, Fierosound?

You're kidding - right??

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2011 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
<bump>
Gixxer Quad

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2011 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gixxer QuadSend a Private Message to Gixxer QuadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

my front lights are doing this same thing. any idea why?

i feel your pain man... my 88 came from a forum member as well, and while there were (are) some problems that weren't told to me or covered up, none of it was as bad as yours. at least you have the expertise to make it right though!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I my case, the Indy had been in an accident and not properly repaired (some damage hidden) but see the rip?
I was never told about it before I bought the thing, but it was SO obvious once I saw it.

I think your fascia may just be sagging. It's only held on by a few fasteners. Maybe replace fasteners or adjustment in the mounting.

Body Section of the Service Manual //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/102310.html

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 02-07-2021).]

Gixxer Quad

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gixxer QuadSend a Private Message to Gixxer QuadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sweet, thanks man. i need to look into that.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2012 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
<bump> to keep out of archives
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2012 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really love this build. I hope my Indy will be that nice someday.

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo.
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project!

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

I really love this build. I hope my Indy will be that nice someday.

Good luck with your SD4 engine build.

Thanks for the compliment. Had I seen this car in person after seeing the ad, I would NOT have bought it.
kymmee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2013 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kymmeeSend a Private Message to kymmeeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know this is an old thread, but when I have time I try and read anything Indy Fiero related as I own one myself. I have read this thread and most of the links associated with it.

You have really done wonders with the car and congrats on your "World of Wheels" win.

As for "never buy a car site unseen", this is one of my rules also. I have traveled many miles to look at cars and came home with the trailer empty several times. Disappointment can be expensive; gas and lodging, etc.

Fortunately for me, my Indy purchase was much more pleasant. The seller was very honest and pointed out a few flaws that it did have. I made two trips, one to look and one to bring home.

Good luck with your Indy-it is very unique and a great example of a Fiero!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's Indy Pace Car #163

PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2021 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump so it doesn't go to archive...

Here's a shortcut to the "continued" thread.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000077.html

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay