Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  How To - Repair the Fuel Level Sending Unit (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
How To - Repair the Fuel Level Sending Unit by Xanth
Started on: 05-26-2008 06:36 PM
Replies: 95 (22096 views)
Last post by: 813-fiero on 06-14-2018 08:48 PM
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2009 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good write up and thanks!

Arn

Page 2 is mine

[This message has been edited by Arns85GT (edited 11-18-2009).]

IP: Logged
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2009 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump sa daisy

------------------

Alibi

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2009 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just flipped the resistor plate over to the unused side when I replaced my pump. The car had sat for 8 or so years beforehand so I'm not sure if it worked or not in the first place, but it works pretty well now. I run out of gas on the notch just before the E so I suppose its good enough.
White88Formula

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2009 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White88FormulaSend a Private Message to White88FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could you just adjust the gauge in the car if you ran out around 3 notches? Instead of dropping the tank?
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2009 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by White88Formula:

Could you just adjust the gauge in the car if you ran out around 3 notches? Instead of dropping the tank?

That does work after a sort, if you just want the low end of the gauge to be closer. Benefit of taking out the tank is you can restore even operation across the range of the entire resistor, and get both the low and high end readings close to spec.
88GT.FASTBACK

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-26-2009 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GT.FASTBACKSend a Private Message to 88GT.FASTBACKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent thread.

I also ran out of gas when i first got my car.
A mechanic told me to use some gas treatment to clean the sending unit.
Since then i have discoverd this...

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, designed to clean the fuel sending Unit from corrosion and fuel system deposits
for 2006 and Prior All GM Cars and Trucks.

[This message has been edited by 88GT.FASTBACK (edited 12-26-2009).]

Malkier

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2009 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MalkierSend a Private Message to MalkierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great write up!
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2009 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88GT.FASTBACK:

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, designed to clean the fuel sending Unit from corrosion and fuel system deposits
for 2006 and Prior All GM Cars and Trucks.

Do you get this at the dealership? Is it available anywhere else?

Thnx
White88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2009 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White88FormulaSend a Private Message to White88FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xanth:

That does work after a sort, if you just want the low end of the gauge to be closer. Benefit of taking out the tank is you can restore even operation across the range of the entire resistor, and get both the low and high end readings close to spec.

So even if i pulled the needle at full since its over full by like 1/8 of an inch and put it at full that wouldnt work? I figured it would since when I fill it it would read right on full instead of over and when I was down by empty it would be almost out instead of being out around 3notches

and Also interested in that fuel treatment stuff, does it actually work?

John N

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2009 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John NClick Here to visit John N's HomePageSend a Private Message to John NEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a thought, when you have the sending unit out to repair it, just as well go ahead and replace the fuel pump too, kill two birds with one stone and might just save you from dropping the tank anytime to soon

John
GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2009 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Though the sender was different on my '87 GT, this guide gave me enough confidence to tackle the task when I replaced my fuel pump yesterday. On the '87, there's a metal cover with 3 tabs bent over it to capture the assembly and float arm. Some scrubbing with electrical contact cleaner helped the sender read pretty well over the full range, about 3 ohms high on at empty and full. Once I get some more gas in the tank, we'll see if this was the magic bullet to fixing my stuck fuel gauge.

THANKS!
PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2009 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I adjusted my 88 sender to get to 0 I did what I had read on a post somewhere and soldered the bottom wrap or two of the wire to short them out. That way you get all the way to 0 ohms. Gage has been prefect for years...
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2010 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump to add to my favorites
daveyhouse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2010 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daveyhouseSend a Private Message to daveyhouseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This would be a perfect start for upcoming HOW-TO section. You would not find this in your Haynes manual. Even includes pics.
Hint, Hint Cliff
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2010 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking the same thing. I saw this a year or so ago, have the tank to my Formula out and wanted to do this before i put it back in. It took me an hour or so to find THIS thread. I found several others but because this starts of with "how to" it was a real beotch to find using search.
jazz4cash

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2010 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jazz4cashSend a Private Message to jazz4cashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice write-up...thanks.

What I don't understand is you are calibrating the guage for an empty tank and I don't think it is possible to run the tank empty so it seems like you would still have a reading on the guage when the fuel level is too low for the pump to run. I understand that may not be an issue if you're running out while the guage reads 1/4 or so (like mine), but it seems like there should be a dimension for the float to be at when the guage reads "E" so you still have a half gallon or so of reserve.....or is the minimum travel for the float already slightly higher than the pickup point of the pump?

I am thinking of using the pump to remove as much fuel as possible from the tank, measuring the quantity of fuel left in the tank and then add a half gallon or so set the minimum Ohms level

[This message has been edited by jazz4cash (edited 10-16-2010).]

Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I first opened up the tank, the lowest "empty" position of the float was in fact noticeably below the pickup level of the fuel pump. I bent the arm however so now the Empty position is somewhat above the bottom of the pump.

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jazz4cash:

Nice write-up...thanks.

What I don't understand is you are calibrating the guage for an empty tank and I don't think it is possible to run the tank empty so it seems like you would still have a reading on the guage when the fuel level is too low for the pump to run. I understand that may not be an issue if you're running out while the guage reads 1/4 or so (like mine), but it seems like there should be a dimension for the float to be at when the guage reads "E" so you still have a half gallon or so of reserve.....or is the minimum travel for the float already slightly higher than the pickup point of the pump?

I am thinking of using the pump to remove as much fuel as possible from the tank, measuring the quantity of fuel left in the tank and then add a half gallon or so set the minimum Ohms level

Let me guess. You're one of those guys who sets their watch ahead 5 minutes so your not late right?

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 10-17-2010).]

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

phonedawgz

17091 posts
Member since Dec 2009
Also the gas doesn't pour out of the tank as easy as one would expect. Not sure why you would measure how much gas is in the tank after the pick up stopped picking it up anyway. Just add the x amount of gas you want left when it hits empty and calibrate the gauge.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 10-17-2010).]

jazz4cash

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jazz4cashSend a Private Message to jazz4cashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Let me guess. You're one of those guys who sets their watch ahead 5 minutes so your not late right?

No...you're wrong. Fuel gages are typically calibrated to have bit of fuel still in the tank when the gage reads "E". Just the opposite of what our cars do.
jazz4cash

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jazz4cashSend a Private Message to jazz4cashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jazz4cash

465 posts
Member since Feb 2006

Also the gas doesn't pour out of the tank as easy as one would expect. Not sure why you would measure how much gas is in the tank after the pick up stopped picking it up anyway. Just add the x amount of gas you want left when it hits empty and calibrate the gauge.

Yeah, you're right there's no need to measure the remaining fuel except I would be planning to get ALL the old nasty stuff out of the tank, so then I WOULD need to know the minimum quantity required for the pump to run before adding a reserve quantity and calibrating to that.
PFF
System Bot
pdemondo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pdemondoSend a Private Message to pdemondoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have fixed several fuel sending units by soaking them in vinegar. After leaving in vinegar for over a day, pull it out rinse it off and let it dry.
They read pretty well after that.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 05:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
But if I had the choice, I'd like to know exactly where E is really. For example E is exactly on the empty side of the empty mark. So I actually know where the car will run out of gas. Say I was running late for work and I had to make the desision of do I really need to stop for gas, or can I make it.

Originally posted by jazz4cash:

No...you're wrong. Fuel gages are typically calibrated to have bit of fuel still in the tank when the gage reads "E". Just the opposite of what our cars do.

My04gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2010 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My04gtSend a Private Message to My04gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all
I toke my sending unit apart today (87 gt) and as i was cleaning the wire coil i pulled the wire off the pop rivet. What can i do to fix this? I was thinking about getting some contact cleaner and trying to solder the thin wire back to the pop rivet.
thank you for your help
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2010 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure that's a solderable wire. You might have to pop rivet it back in place
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2010 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not sure that's a solderable wire. You might have to pop rivet it back in place

Yes, Resistance (Likely Nichrome) wire can't be soldered far as I know...

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

My04gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2010 05:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for My04gtSend a Private Message to My04gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
can i use a universe sender-unit and mount it to the sending unit i have now as long as it is a 0-90 ohm unit
what I'm thinking is getting one off ebay or get one from a old nova and popping off the part that i need and attaching it to my sending unit
thank you
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A special note, if your going to use all original stuff, check to see the plastic pieces are fastened still and not deteriorating, I got mine and it had enough meat to still salvage, also, because of the plastic deteriorating the float was able to slide out just enough so that it wasnt making contact to send a signal to the gauge. I bent the sender's mounting position in such a way that its held in pretty well...
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did this last week with good results. Got it to read between 2-99ohms. Something I found out is that those two torx screws with the spring action are also used to fine tune the resistance reading at the extremes. When you adjust them it changes the contact at the edges and will help you get closer to 0 and 100. At least it did in my case.

jw3

Feedback score:    (44)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2012 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jw3Send a Private Message to jw3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump to the top for a great write up.
Thanks for the link phonedawgz.
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2012 06:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought my gauge stopped working at a quarter tank. Come to find out my needle on my gauge was BARELY touching enough on the dial to stop it at a quarter tank. I filled up the tank, pulled the needle off and dremeled it down around the base so that it wouldn't touch the outer edge. It works perfectly now. When I put the needle back on I made sure that the needle sat right on F (full) so when it got down to E (empty) I knew it wasn't lieing to me. It works good now.
PFF
System Bot
mferrell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2012 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mferrellSend a Private Message to mferrellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After putting a can of sea foam in my tank because of buying a car that had been setting , the fuel gauge has started working partially. the previous owner said it didn't at all. is seems like every tank of fuel it gets a little better. did the sea foam do it? idk maybe
bulldog85043

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2012 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bulldog85043Send a Private Message to bulldog85043Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mferrell:

After putting a can of sea foam in my tank because of buying a car that had been setting , the fuel gauge has started working partially. the previous owner said it didn't at all. is seems like every tank of fuel it gets a little better. did the sea foam do it? idk maybe

Anything that gets the crud out of the tank is gonna get caughtup somewhere else! Don't forget to change out your fuel filter maybe a week after doing any chemical cleaning inside the tank with something like Sea Foam. This way you will not have a clogged filter and a stalled car.

YMMV (Your milage may vary)

Trevor
mferrell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2012 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mferrellSend a Private Message to mferrellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the sea foam wasnt done for crud in the tank( new tank and pump installed two years ago) , but just to keep injectors clean as one year old gas is burnt
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2012 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent timing; I'm replacing my fuel pump this weekend and this article is just what I need! I think those 3 or 4 times I ran the tank BONE dry took years off the old pump... Gas runs out at about 3/8 according to the gauge.
Stainless1911

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2012 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm concerned about the lines I can't see on the top of the tank as I let it down. Any advice from people who have done this before?

I think this should be moved to the new How To section.
montage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2012 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for montageSend a Private Message to montageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice write up and job on the fix. I will have to go this when I get a change. A good way to clean the contacts is a pencil eraser or pink eraser, they take off the oxide but don't abrade the surface especially a concern for plated surfaces, these are not so it wouldn’t hurt much in this case. Also it looks like from your pictures of the resistor which is wire wound, if you adjust the number of coils that are between your contact points you can change the resistance, the more wire wraps between contacts the more resistance. Not sure how it works but I would guess the slider contact (connected to the float) should touch the first wire from the contact at the top of the resistor to get close to 0 ohms. I would suspect adjusting this would give you the 0 ohm, adjusting the number of wraps from the contact to the full position of the float would give you the 90 ohms. If I know the size of the wire and what it is made out of, along with the dimensions of the resistor, I could calculate the number of wraps for 90 ohms.
montage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2012 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for montageSend a Private Message to montageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

montage

164 posts
Member since Nov 2000
Nice write up and job on the fix. I will have to go this when I get a change. A good way to clean the contacts is a pencil eraser or pink eraser, they take off the oxide but don't abrade the surface especially a concern for plated surfaces, these are not so it wouldn’t hurt much in this case. Also it looks like from your pictures of the resistor which is wire wound, if you adjust the number of coils that are between your contact points you can change the resistance, the more wire wraps between contacts the more resistance. Not sure how it works but I would guess the slider contact (connected to the float) should touch the first wire from the contact at the top of the resistor to get close to 0 ohms. I would suspect adjusting this would give you the 0 ohm, adjusting the number of wraps from the contact to the full position of the float would give you the 90 ohms. If I know the size of the wire and what it is made out of, along with the dimensions of the resistor, I could calculate the number of wraps for 90 ohms.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2012 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is pretty awesome... thanks!!!
Stainless1911

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2012 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by montage:

Couldnt you count the wraps and divide it out? Say, 100 wraps giving 100 ohms, a wrong reading, would tell you to take 10 wraps off, giving you 90 ohms. Correct, or is it too simplistic?

How do you get a thread moved to the How To?

[This message has been edited by Stainless1911 (edited 10-06-2012).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock