Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  The Official "GMC INDY HAULER" build thread (Page 6)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The Official "GMC INDY HAULER" build thread by Greg Z
Started on: 11-02-2005 07:39 PM
Replies: 256 (22193 views)
Last post by: RWDPLZ on 05-17-2023 03:51 PM
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Greg Z:

Hey Joe. This is a class 3 link from the beginning of this thread. Not sure if it's still available. It was 8 yrs ago lol

http://www.suspensionconnec...r-trailer-hitch.html

Greg, thanks for putting up the pics, the pics of the wheels don't show the white technidip very well it looks really odd on the truck, I think the grey I got will look better.

Thanks for the link, (I see we're dropping hints. ) I'll probably have to build the hitch to fit the roll pan, I have found some for the Blazer, don't like, will probably modify one for a pu.

Everybody, thanks for the continued interest, it's been a struggle, I admit some has been of my own making, this truck has taught me some interesting lessons. The big one being that, because I have something and it can be made to work, is not enough to justify it's use.

Best example is my choice of engine, in spite of my rationalization of using the 350 tbi in my posetion I've spent enough money to have put a 6.0 ls in it and been money ahead. (eek)

Oh yeah, thanks everybody, this thread has passed 15,000 views.

Joe
IP: Logged
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Glad to see you back Bob. I don't think you've posted on here since 2012. We was missing you :-)

I still post, just not as frequently. Ridiculously busy at work, put in 54 hours this week M-F. Design Release Engineer II, Routing and Circuitry on 12V Wiring Harness, for the Tesla Model S for just over a year now.
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick 88:

PM sent

Who did you send a pm to?
Joe
Greg Z

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Truck with its new wheels and great stance

Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's another shot Joe sent me of the truck. Now has a damn good looking stance to it. Looks ready for the road :-)

[This message has been edited by Greg Z (edited 06-16-2014).]

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

UPDATE: heres a few pictures of the project truck. i went by today and he says he wil start on it monday. i'm determined to build this GMC Hauler.

I pulled this post up to show the change in "elevation".

I see a light at the end of the tunnel, and for once it's not a frackin' train... Joe

[This message has been edited by motoracer838 (edited 06-16-2014).]

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2014 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update, the tuner came over yesterday to try a modified version of the custom chip, didn't work very well. then we tried a stock 5.7 tbi chip, and got much better results than either of us expected, under light load conditions it runs great, we beleve the fpr being set at 18lbs (stock is 11-13) is providing enough fuel for light load, we think that when the load goes up, (heavy throttle) the pe tables will need to be richer. This at least gives us a good baseline to start from.

Joe
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2014 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good day for the "Hauler" got the paperwork sorted (thanks Greg) passed the IM240 smog test (we've got some work to do yet, it's still on the lean side) and got plates, drove it about 50 miles today.

Joe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The wheels gonna be white with a red line like an Indy?
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At this point I'm liking how it looks with the wheels grey, the cool thing is that they're done with paint over rustoleum's version of plasti dip, easy to change.

Joe
PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice to see/hear that this is on the road again - I've been periodically following this thread for years now!

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by motoracer838:

Reality check time, jeez I can be my own worst enemy. By the time I've done either the Ramjet Vortec or the LS-1 the cost and complexity have gotten totally out of control, this is to be a daily driver, and needs to be done in a reasonable amount of time. So, back to the TBI 350, I really do have enough to do on the truck with what it'll take to get the truck at the ride height shown above without killing off suspension travel and ride quality.
What was I saying about being my own worst enemy?!?

Joe

Right choices, wrong reasons, a choice I hadn't mentioned, related to the LS-1. The Vortec 4.8-6.2 engines were of consideration at the time, I was operating that because I had the TBI350 and thought I was going to get the truck done in a reasonable amount to time, yeah about that...ultimately, my mission creep pushed the cost of the swap into LQ-4 ( 6.0 ) territory.

I'm just bringing this up because I have had some time behind the wheel of a truck equipped with a 6.0, the truck is a 1 ton chevy service truck, utility body, miller bobcat welder/generator and full load of tools. This thing has to weigh at least 10,000 lbs and can still get out of it's own way, I'm impressed.

Don't get me wrong, the Hauler aka Frankenstine is a hoot to drive and gets plenty of attention, it's just that I really missed an opportunity here. The whole LS engine family has changed the game, I've done my last old school sbc...

Joe

[This message has been edited by motoracer838 (edited 08-18-2014).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The whole LS engine family has changed the game, I've done my last old school sbc...

I know the feeling!
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2014 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update, for the last couple of months I've been using the Hauler as my daily driver (that'll change as the weather changes.) What a hoot, gas mileage sucks around town, can't keep my foot out of the throttle.

There are a couple of things that need refining, such as stiffer front springs and a mellower muffler, I'm on my 3rd, a Flowmaster super 50 and am still dealing with droning but overall very pleased with the results.

Joe
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2014 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Status update? Do you have any complete pictures?
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2015 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We haven't heard anything about this project in a long time. Does anyone know what it's status is?
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2015 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

We haven't heard anything about this project in a long time. Does anyone know what it's status is?

Yeah I've been using it as my daily driver, since getting the tune sorted out, the truck has given me zero problems (unlike my Cadillac SRX waaayyy more fun to drive to. ) and never fails to put a big grin on my face, no matter what kind of day I've had.

Still need to take care of some minor details as mentioned before, and I'm having soo much fun driving this one, that I want to build another one much more focused at the Pro Touring style going on (details latter ).

Thanks for the interest.

Cheers Beers n Gearz. Joe
Darth Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth ZSend a Private Message to Darth ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a sweet build! I would love to see the finished product.

------------------
2010 Jeep Wrangler
1996 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
1987 Pontiac Fiero
1957 Chevrolet Corvette LS6-swapped (LOOOOOOONG-term project)

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2015 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had a ton of fun driving the "Hauler" for the last year and a half, there are some issues I want to address, The big one is horse power, the way I built the engine it should be making about 300 at the crank or about 240 at the wheels, at a recent trip to a local dyno, it only made 191. I've felt it wasn't quite right, it has what I think is a flat and lazy feel to it, I suspect it wiped the cam on break in.

So, I'm going to pull it down for the winter, adding LT-1 flat top pistons, replacing the TBI pistons that have a dish and a 45degree back cut at the od, giving a big bump in compression, and converting to a roller hyd cam that is just a tick smaller than the GM LT-4 hot cam. Once I have that sorted out and drive it for a while, it will come out and an LS 5.3 will go in. Yes I am my own worst enemy...

Joe
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Overdue update, the truck is back together, got the flat top pistons in, couldn't use the roller cam, block didn't have the provisions for it, much to my surprise... Set the cam 4 degrees advanced to boost the lower end a touch.

Currently working with the tuner to fine tune with the higher comp ratio, surprisingly getting very little kr. It feels much better but still lacking a bit, I believe that the TBI combo is holding it back, to that end I have bought the TPI that Italagt was running on his car, will also add some headers to help the breathing, but that will have to wait as I have my 88 Northstar project and the Fauxrrari to make progress on.
PFF
System Bot
ITALGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2016 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2016 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Frankenstien, aka the Indy Hauler hit the dyno last Friday to see the results of the work done over the winter, the results were impressive and dissapointing (but not unexpected) all at the same time. Max hp was up 9, torque up 19 for a total of 210 hp and 262 torque. There is an upside to this, in the meat of the powerband there were significant gains at 3500 rpm it made 33 more hp and 50 more ft lb's of torque, you can feel this very clearly driving the truck, the downside is it drives a lot like the 4.9 cad I had in my '8coupe, it's all done by 4200 rpm and falls on it's face. This will make a nice engine for a late '80's early '90's truck or 3rd gen f body. I want more...

Lesson learned, the GMPP Vortec TBI manifold sucks, if you have something with an sbc running the TBI, don't bother it's too much effort for the results.

I am gathering parts for another engine, I could rework this one but the block doesn't have the provisions for a roller cam, and I want to take some weight off the nose of the truck, soo I'm better off starting over I already have a roller cam that has specs very close to the GM LT4 hot cam and a TPI setup I got from ITALAGT that is set up for Vortec heads, need to pick up a Vortec 350 short block and distributer (L31) and a set of aluminum heads (many good parts to choose from on ebay these days.) a set of High flow runners from Arizona speed and marine and a 58mm throttle body.

Super Chevy and GM high tech magazines both ran this artical on mods to an L98 350.
http://www.superchevy.com/h...ealth-tpi-induction/
Getting impressive hp and torque, 458 hp, 524 torque, yes it was a 383 they built, I think it held them back a bit as even with the mods the TPI will still have issues breathing on top, personally I think it will work better on a 350.

By going with a Vortec 350 as the base, I not only gain the provisions for the roller cam but also gain a crank position sensor and a cam position sensor in the dizzy, giving me the ability to go obd2 using the LS1 0411 pcm, see here
http://www.thirdgen.org/for...oughts-opinions.html

The 8 most expensive words in the Engilsh language,
While I'm at it, I might as well... Joe
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2016 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hate photosuckit...

[This message has been edited by motoracer838 (edited 08-07-2017).]

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2016 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was a good Craigslist day, moving the Hauler closer to the new engine today, picked up a brand new set of Hooker shorties that I can modify to get what I need for $50.00 and a Vortec 350 with some "issues" but good in the ways it needs to be for $300.00

Joe

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I'm bummed, the flexplate (new when I got the truck running 2 years ago) is cracking, haven't driven the truck in about a month, damn I miss that truck. Looks like I need to push the engine upgrade ahead since I need to pull the trans, (things are tight in there, easier to pull the front clip and yank the engine and trans as a unit) Still need to get the heads, high flow runners and 58mm throttle body...

What are the eight most expensive words in the english langanuge?
While I'm at it, I might as well...
Joe

[This message has been edited by motoracer838 (edited 07-21-2016).]

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2016 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It was a good Craigslist day, moving the Hauler closer to the new engine today, picked up a brand new set of Hooker shorties that I can modify to get what I need for $50.00 and a Vortec 350 with some "issues" but good in the ways it needs to be for $300.00

Joe

Frack me...The Vortec 350 turned out to have more issues than I thought, the block is cracked. LOL, the only thing usable is the crank. that's even less than the TBI 350 I stared with (block and crank) that's in the Hauler now... Effin' scrap metal...

Rant off, the good news. flexplate is fine, it's a rattle in the exhaust, been driving it daily while buying parts for the next phase. Phase 2 will be a comeplete makeover of the drivetrain/suspension, basisclly scrapping everything I've done up to this point. (jeez I have a real talent for being my own worst enemy...)

Hey, I see a light at the end of the tunnel,
Oh crap, it's a train... Joe
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2017 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got another Vortec 350 block, ($100) have it at the machine shop now, once it gets back I need to get a couple more parts, then I can start assembly. Once it's together, I'll set it aside as it'll probably be next winter before I can get to "Phase 2".

Winters here suck, the Hauler sits waiting for nice days to get out and stretch it legs, come on spring.

Joe
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2017 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the block back from the machine shop, looks great, can't wait to assemble the new engine. of course I got another project going at the moment (have I mentioned I'm my own worst enemy!!!) so it'll be a while before I get to it. I'd post pics but my PC isn't recognizing new pics on my phone. (jeez, I'd swear it's always something with my damn phone...)

Joe
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2017 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BTW - I was just telling my Dad about this project the other day.... glad to see you're still working on it - even if gradually. I've thought a number of times of undertaking an Indy Hauler project, but it's always stayed pretty close to the bottom of my list

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2017 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

BTW - I was just telling my Dad about this project the other day.... glad to see you're still working on it - even if gradually. I've thought a number of times of undertaking an Indy Hauler project, but it's always stayed pretty close to the bottom of my list

I've got big plans for the next phase (and about 95% of the parts) but I'm having so much fun driving it the way it is, I don't want to take it back apart (also don't have much time for it at the moment)... Maybe I need to build another one. (Yeah, like I need another car...)

I don't want to say just what is going to happen to it (let's just say it involves a lot of parts off a C5 Vette I picked up last year for another project)

Thanks for checking in, updates will come when they come... (I swear it takes me forever to get anything done these days)...

Cheers Beers n Gearz, Joe
PFF
System Bot
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2017 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

(let's just say it involves a lot of parts off a C5 Vette I picked up last year for another project)

OK, slight change of plans, at this point about the only thing from the Vette will be the C6 wheels that came on it. I am redoing the front end, removing the C4 spindle experiment. (the Mad Scientist isn't happy with the results, the brakes are a big improvement over stock, but the resulting geometry (massive bumpsteer) made the truck an evil twitchy beast...) All that will be left from current will be the springs, lower control arms and most of the steering linkage...

The upside is the truck shares front end components with the G body ('78-'88 Monte Carlo, regal etc...) and there is a lot of aftermarket support for the Pro touring crowd. Last week the first new parts went on, Front sway bar went from 1-1/8" to 1-1/4" and a set of Ridtech HQ rebound adjustable shocks went on, replacing the KYB Monomax junk. (on even moderate hits they would blow through the damping making the bumpsteer issues even worse.) The shocks have made a big improvement but are not a cure all for a bad setup...

Soo... Up next are the rest of the parts to fix the front. Starting with a new set of G body/ S10 drop spindles, (if you've been following along, you know one of the benefits of the C4 spindles was that I got about a 2" drop using them) Set up with what is know as the LS brake swap, (stop me if this sounds a bit familiar) you start by machining the braking surface off the stock rotor turning it into a hub and adding a slip on rotor. (in this case from a 4th gen Camaro, hence the LS name) The rotors I'm using are the Stop Tech Evolution series, drilled and slotted and 12" in diameter. (another 1/2" larger than the C4 parts.) The dual piston caliper is also from the 4th gen Camaro and running EBC yellow stuff pads. Also in the mix are a set of aftermarket upper a arms from BMR racing and a bumpsteer kit from UMI.

All I need now is some time to work on it... Joe

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2017 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will they fit???
(well that didn't take long, looks like photosuckit found a way around the "patches")
044 by Joseph Martin, on Flickr

These are the ZR-1 replica wheels and Nitto tires I bought for the Fauxrrari project last year when pennies counted, (like most people, I thought Killary would be president and I was trying to future proof my projects...) The reality is that project is still a ways off and I'd like to do more upscale wheels for that project. with that said, they do me no good just sitting around gathering dust...

Among the other upgrades for the Hauler is a new .030 over roller cam 350 that will make about 425hp, this will do what the current engine hasn't done, (not for a lack of trying) is kill the stock rear end. research over at V8S10.org shows that the 8.8 used in the Ford Exploders is almost a "bolt in", giving disk brakes limited slip diff and better ratios (3.73-1 and 4.10-1, I'll be using the 4.10-1, up from the 3.41-1 that is in the truck now.) but are a bit wide, mounting surface to mounting surface. The upside, the 8.8 has the diff offset to the right 3 inches, by using another right side axle shaft you can shorten the left side cheaply, at that point I need to notch the rear of the frame rails a bit and run 1/4" spacers for inner clearance and cut the inner wheelwells and push the fenders out about a 1/2" to tuck the tires (the rears are 17x11 with 315-35-17 tires, up front are 17x9.5 with 255-40-17)

Horsepower gives you options, Joe

[This message has been edited by motoracer838 (edited 10-05-2017).]

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2017 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update, I have got my hands on an Explorer 8.8, with disk brakes, posi and 3.73 gears, current gears are 3.42, may eventually wind up with 4.10"s. Still need to get some parts to do the install, will do it along with the front suspension (need to swap the current wheels end to end due to different offsets to make it all work with the new parts, not ready to do the body mods to accept the ZR-1 wheels...)

Joe
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2017 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Even a blind squirrel gets a nut now and then"... I was having a rather frustrating day at the wrecking yard yesterday (wasn't "tooled up" enough for the task at hand, jeez I hate 12pt bolts...) when I stumbled upon an Explorer that had an aluminun diff "support" cover from Trick Flow, (didn't even know they made these) They retail for $149.95 at summit, got it for $6.00...

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2017 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have some time this weekend to work on the Hauler, Out with the old, ill handling...

IMG_20170704_145509239 by Joseph Martin, on Flickr

For those not familiar, the current setup uses C4 Vette spindles and brakes, while giving a big improvement in braking, the resulting geometry makes the truck evil and "twitchy". Can you say severe bumpsteer??? To fix this and take advantage of what has been learned in the Pro-Touring world, I'm installing the parts described a couple of posts ago.

IMG_20170903_190219646 by Joseph Martin, on Flickr

Also took the time recently to mock up the Blazer with a set of C6 replica wheels and the C4 ZR-1 wheels originally purchased for the Fauxrrari project.

IMG_20170704_153722963 by Joseph Martin, on Flickr

IMG_20170704_153738642 by Joseph Martin, on Flickr

IMG_20170904_114456355 by Joseph Martin, on Flickr

IMG_20170904_114506739 by Joseph Martin, on Flickr

Cheers beers n Gearz, Joe

[This message has been edited by motoracer838 (edited 11-22-2017).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2017 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd still love to see the Indy graphics package installed on the truck. Imagine all the 'WTF?' stares driving by.
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2017 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

I'd still love to see the Indy graphics package installed on the truck. Imagine all the 'WTF?' stares driving by.

It's funny, for as bad as the paint is, when I get around to painting it, I'll probably recreate the current paint. I've tried imagining it in other colors and it just doesn't work for me. I can see a magnetic door sign with the Indy graphics for shows and such...

Today's progress.

IMG_20171122_162903308 by Joseph Martin, on Flickr

Didn't get as far as I would have liked, oh well... I have cycled the suspension through it's travel, the only bumpsteer I see is at max droop/extension there it toes in very slightly, dramatic improvement over the old setup, I can't wait to get it buttoned up and to the alignment shop...

In other news, I scored a fiberglass cowl hood for it, been needing a hood since the hailstorm last may...

IMG_20171116_192620086 by Joseph Martin, on Flickr

Unfortunately, the previous owner had to go and hack it up for a 6-71 blower he was running at the time, good thing for me, I have the skillz and materials to fix it. Needles to say it was cheap...

Joe

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2017 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the truck buttoned up over the weekend (job took longer than it should have, I have a nice shop with soo much stuff in it that I had to do this in the driveway...) Still need an alignment, (have it roughed in pretty good.) but it is a massive improvement in how the truck dives, the fact that I got an improvement over already good brakes is a bonus...

IMG_20171123_140920845_HDR by Joseph Martin, on Flickr

There is a minor problem.

IMG_20171127_141326362 by Joseph Martin, on Flickr

The math says it should have wound up within a small fraction of an inch to where it sat before I took it apart, that's not the case... It's
sitting a good inch high, (I've driven it enough that it's done settling. Probably going to have to take possibly a half coil off the springs to get it back to where I want it.

I've Changed my mind again regarding the wheels, in an effort to keep the project simple, ( I still haven't gotten back to working my '88 coupe that I took apart over a decade ago...) that the C6 replica wheels will be going on. did some test fitting while I had the truck apart last week.

IMG_20171125_123925660 by Joseph Martin, on Flickr

IMG_20171125_123822381 by Joseph Martin, on Flickr

These are the rears, 295X35X18 on 18X9.5, the fronts are 255X40X17 on 17X8.5.

Joe
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fun with steering boxes, as much as I'd like to just pick up the phone and order a Turn One box, this is a daily driver first and that $800 can do a lot of good in other places... so I went to my local Pull and Pay, they sell boxes for 29.95 with a $10 core charge, with tax it's still less than $40, $30 if I take the core back. Pulled a box from a '96-'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee. (they had 11 to chose from)

IMG_20171213_172106726 by Joseph Martin, on Flickr

On the left is the stock S10/G body 20-1 box, on the right is the Jeep box, The 20-1 box took 4 1/8 turns stop to stop, the Jeep box is 3 turns stop to stop, I've read that the box has better "feel", (ok we know how the internet is, we'll see)I hope to get the box on tomorrow...

Joe
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock