Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  84-87 12" Corvette Brake Swap... (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
84-87 12" Corvette Brake Swap... by Jncomutt
Started on: 06-09-2005 09:43 PM
Replies: 279 (45637 views)
Last post by: adifferentlook on 01-28-2021 09:00 AM
Racer_JT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2005 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racer_JTSend a Private Message to Racer_JTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The calipers are the same other than bleeder right? L/R
IP: Logged
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2005 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got another pic of the ebrake cable...

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 09-18-2005).]

crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2005 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hope you don't mind me chiming in here. I just wanted to post Bubba's drawings for easy reference.

Front Adapter

Front consentric ring

Rear adapter

Rear consentric ring

Thanks for putting this together, makes more sense than it did following just Bubba's instructions.

So, you had to make the rear consentric ring twice as thick as the cad drawing? Is this because your rotors are different than Joe's?

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2005 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crzyone:

So, you had to make the rear consentric ring twice as thick as the cad drawing? Is this because your rotors are different than Joe's?

Yes, the rotors used here had a larger chamfer in them. Some rotors have a short chamfer in which his rings will work. The ebay ones used here, had too much material cut from the backside for the ones in bubba's drawings to work. They were remade twice as thick, and fit perfect with the rotors..

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 09-19-2005).]

1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2005 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I do not want the E-brake is there a cheaper route to go with the calipers??? Can I use four front calipers?

I have access to an 85 Vette parts car, can I get the caliper mounts from both the front & rear to use with the 1988 cailpers?

About to start buying my stuff.

THANKS to ALL whom contributed so far!!

JB

[This message has been edited by 1986GTV8 (edited 09-24-2005).]

techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2005 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2005 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
EL bumpo
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2005 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
None of those ebay links are the zinc plated drilled slotted ones that were used for this write up. The ones for this writeup were, however, purchased from ebay.
techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2005 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These look pretty close to me and zinc plating is free.

jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2005 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ran into this exact same problem as well. Sluppy123 made my brackets for me and made them perfectly to Bubbajo's specs. I then had to make new rings because of the way my discs were machined (NOT because Brian made them wrong).

John Stricker

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

Yes, the rotors used here had a larger chamfer in them. Some rotors have a short chamfer in which his rings will work. The ebay ones used here, had too much material cut from the backside for the ones in bubba's drawings to work. They were remade twice as thick, and fit perfect with the rotors..

PFF
System Bot
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2005 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So we should have the "rings" made after the purchase of our rotors as a one off, correct?

Can I use 1985 Corvette rear calipers if I do not want the E-Brake?

I have access to a 85 Vette at the local junk yard.

THANKS for all of your help!

I am starting on this set-up this weekend....

John

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2005 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't see why you couldn't use the 85 calipers. The 85 caliper mounting brackets will work either way however.
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2005 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah Baby!!

Going to my recycle yard this Sat......

I'll get all of the components but the rotors. Should I get the Banjo fitting also, or is it a diffrent thread?

JB

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2005 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need the banjo bolt specific to the caliper. The Fiero Banjo bolts won't work on the Corvette caliper. The correct thread for the banjo is listed on the previous page should you decide to purchase new ones.
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2005 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Jncomutt.

Was just thinking while I was stripping the 1985 Vette I should get all that I can to keep cost down.

Bummer that the Banjo fittings for those calipers won't work...

John

1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2005 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my parts from the 1985 Vette, all calipers & brackets for 171.00

Thanks for the great info.

Just want to keep this near the "top" for otheres.

PS: I found a compnay who will drill the 12" rotors for the 5X100 bolt pattern while being made.
So you will not have 10 holes in your rotor.

1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2005 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the E-Bay site for those who want to get the rotors that I did is here. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy-Corvette-84-87-Front-Drill-Slot-Rotors-FREE-S-H_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33564QQitemZ8005669454QQrdZ1

CALL THEM BEFORE ordering/paying for these so you can get them drilled before shipping.

Free shipping, silver zinc plating included.

"Zinc Plating: Black or Gold add $30 more, Silver is FREE"

Stop With Us!
Website: www.stopchek.com Phone: 714-720-6413 Hours: M-F 9am-7pm PST

Customer Service Questions? We advise that you contact us before bidding, please email our information desk for further assistance.

You may instant message StopChek for immediate live assistance Monday through Saturday between the hours of 9:00 AM - 7:00 PM PST

AIM: stopchek ICQ: stopchek MSN: stopchek@hotmail.com YAHOO: stopchek

1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2005 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LATEST info on my suggestion for rotors...........

I have found a possible concern with the rotors. There is a large chamfer/counter bore on the back side which MAY present a problem. It looks as though there is enough "meat" to drill into with out going into the thiner part of the rotor. My rotor is at the machine shop now,but will not be ready for anothe two weeks as they are still behind on their machining.

Wish I had a pic of others rotors to compare to.

It looks as though there is aboout a 8th inch or so before the drilling of the 5X100 bolt pattern to clear the chamfer/counter bore.

How much space have others found for their spacing???

John

TooManyFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TooManyFierosSend a Private Message to TooManyFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jncomutt
Nice black GT. Where did that come from????

Jim G

connecticutFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jnco, I thought you said this was supposed to be easy? Yikes it looks like it was a bit more than a few minor tweaks. How's the braking power compared to the stocks? What's the deal with the 84? You ever get that thing running?
PFF
System Bot
Carswell...Wellscar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carswell...WellscarSend a Private Message to Carswell...WellscarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i know this was probably asked but how much was the swap?

thanks
matt

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TooManyFieros:
Jncomutt
Jim G

HEYYY!!! Nice to hear from ya, hopefully I can get down there and see ya soon!!! Perhaps that January thing you Gilberts like to do. That happening this year???

Jnco, I thought you said this was supposed to be easy? Yikes it looks like it was a bit more than a few minor tweaks. How's the braking power compared to the stocks? What's the deal with the 84? You ever get that thing running?

Yea, it was easy, just took some time and some tools. Nothing that couldn't be accomplished in a full weekend or two.

i know this was probably asked but how much was the swap?

Came out to be just under $1000 using quality parts. Buying parts at lower costs and searching around for parts would save ALOT of money, but when you want things yesterday, you tend to pay a bit more...

fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2005 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TooManyFieros:

Jncomutt

Jim G

...next your going to ask him to pay you to use the pictures online

TooManyFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2005 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TooManyFierosSend a Private Message to TooManyFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero go fast:

...next your going to ask him to pay you to use the pictures online

Hey! It looked like one that used to live in my back yard. Now go study for a test or someting!

1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2005 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice setup

------------------
Soon to be custom port fuel injected with Megasquirt! 4.5l and th-440 And Im only 18. think about when Im 30!!

1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2005 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keeping this out of the archives.

Have not had time to work on mine yet.

Mabey mid December.

THANAKS to ALL !!

John

northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2006 06:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anybody have a list of places to buy all of the parts from that will deliver internationaly.
Thanks
cheetah

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2006 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cheetahClick Here to visit cheetah's HomePageSend a Private Message to cheetahEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HellYes

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2006 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HellYesSend a Private Message to HellYesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The print of the rear adapters is not complete. No overall length is given. Little confused, as the dimensions shown are not symetrical. I can't just assume that 3.5625 is the centerline and double it. I'm talking to a job shop about having a set of adapters made. If the price and quality are there, I'll post contact info here, and throw them some business.

[This message has been edited by HellYes (edited 01-21-2006).]

rmphoto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rmphotoSend a Private Message to rmphotoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HellYes:

The print of the rear adapters is not complete. No overall length is given. Little confused, as the dimensions shown are not symetrical. I can't just assume that 3.5625 is the centerline and double it. I'm talking to a job shop about having a set of adapters made. If the price and quality are there, I'll post contact info here, and throw them some business.

the top extension line of 3.5625 indicates the center of the circle, if that wasnt half the overall length, there would be a second dimension. theres really no need for the other drilled holes to be a symetrical mesurement from the top and bottom.

PFF
System Bot
foxgapfiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2006 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for foxgapfieroSend a Private Message to foxgapfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump to the top
IIFAST4U

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2006 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IIFAST4UClick Here to visit IIFAST4U's HomePageSend a Private Message to IIFAST4UEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So why doall this instead of buying an Upgraded set for the fiero?

Like these for the front at least?? (top right) front rotor and caliper upgrade?

Thanks

Shawn

http://www.secureleadercom.com/fsstore/default.asp?bodystyle=1&topdeptnumber=44&searchBit=3&dept=379

dguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2006 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IIFAST4U:

So why doall this instead of buying an Upgraded set for the fiero?

Like these for the front at least?? (top right) front rotor and caliper upgrade?

For one, once the 'vette modification has been completed it may be easier to locate replacement parts locally given the relative popularity of Corvette vs. Fiero.

Another, is stopping power. There's a big difference between stock-diameter rotors with a slightly larger piston (The Fiero Store's set you mentioned), and an upgrade where everything is larger.

[This message has been edited by dguy (edited 10-16-2006).]

86blackgt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2006 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86blackgtSend a Private Message to 86blackgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have to use the corvette master cylinder, or can i use the stock master cylinder or a bored out stock master cylinder?

Thanks

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2006 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For those who have done this upgrade, how do you get the rear studs out? I really don't want to take everything apart to use a press, is it possible to use a hammer? I also don't want to wreck anything hehe...

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2006 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rear studs could be left stock if you wish. The mounting thickness of the vette rotor isn't all that much more than the fiero rotor. The front studs were designed to only go through the wheel, but are now going through the wheel AND rotor, so they need to be longer. The rears normally go through the disc and the wheel so the difference isn't all that much.

To address the studs however, I've had to swap a broken stud before. I just used a 3lb hammer and gave it a good whack. To install the new stud, I put it through, put a washer on it, and tightened a lug nut onto it, pulling the stud into place. There are probably better methods, but that seemed to work fine.

Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2006 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1986GTV8:

Got my parts from the 1985 Vette, all calipers & brackets for 171.00

Thanks for the great info.

Just want to keep this near the "top" for otheres.

PS: I found a compnay who will drill the 12" rotors for the 5X100 bolt pattern while being made.
So you will not have 10 holes in your rotor.

What company will do this? I am converting to a different bolt pattern and don't want 15 holes in my rotors (have to add 5x100 along with the larger pattern I want so I can bolt on an adapter flange through the back side)

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2006 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

The rear studs could be left stock if you wish. The mounting thickness of the vette rotor isn't all that much more than the fiero rotor. The front studs were designed to only go through the wheel, but are now going through the wheel AND rotor, so they need to be longer. The rears normally go through the disc and the wheel so the difference isn't all that much.

To address the studs however, I've had to swap a broken stud before. I just used a 3lb hammer and gave it a good whack. To install the new stud, I put it through, put a washer on it, and tightened a lug nut onto it, pulling the stud into place. There are probably better methods, but that seemed to work fine.

Thanks for that. I won't bother changing them then. I have one bad stud on the rear so I'll replace it. Thanks.

87GTBro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2006 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTBroSend a Private Message to 87GTBroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would someone mind posting some pics of the master cylinder setup and the tubing leading to the distribution block? I'm just a little confused because the corvette M/C has a larger hole closer to the booster, than the other. On the stock Fiero M/C, the thicker tube comes from the hole furthest from the booster.

Also, does anybody know the size and thread pitch of the holes in the Fiero distribution block? I'd like to have all the parts available before I start the install.

Thanks!

Daniel

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay