Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  CODE 32 answers. dialup warning pics (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
CODE 32 answers. dialup warning pics by buddycraigg
Started on: 01-16-2004 12:05 AM
Replies: 177 (28700 views)
Last post by: SamanthaM on 04-02-2020 12:19 PM
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2004 04:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
is there anyone in the KC area with a bad solenoid assebley or throwing a code 32,?

i want to do somemore tests...

IP: Logged
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2004 04:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm throwing a code 32.
Need an excuse to come to Las Vegas?

BTW NICE JOB!!

------------------
'84 Fiero Sport Quad 4 coming soon
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!!
http://www.lasvegasfieroclub.com/
Rate me if I'm usefull

Egor

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2004 05:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EgorSend a Private Message to EgorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a great writeup. I took mine apart using your instructions and found it completely distroyed inside. I tried to find a new one, but everyone wanted more than $100.
Are there any other later model cars that use a similar switch?

------------------

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2004 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i've seen one that was shaped differently on a late 80's 2.8 S-10 Blazer that would probably work.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2004 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
todd is selling used good ones for $50
t-bird1963

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2004 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for t-bird1963Send a Private Message to t-bird1963Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump for needed info
GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2004 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What a wonderful, well thought out piece of writing. Thank you so much. I know this took quite a while and you should be rewarded for your effort. Big + from me. Thanks and good luck......peace.

Phil

------------------
I am always available to help those that need help. Since my back injury, I cannot work on many of the aspects of the cars, but I can offer the knowledge of my 27 years as a GM technician. Bring the questions on................!

CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2004 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

this just in...
i cannot prove or disprove this, but i had someone email me claiming that he/she had an intermittent code 32 that he/she couldn't fix.

Replaced the ECM coolant temp sensor and the problem has been gone for 2 weeks.

Buddy - it was me at WheatStock and by email that had replace the ECM Temp sensor. Well it's been a few months now and still no 32's.

Thanks for the work on this writeup - a big help in understanding the issue.

KAWKEN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2005 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KAWKENSend a Private Message to KAWKENEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is great to have a 'ROCKET SCIENTIST' doing such a in depth analysis of the solenoid. I am in the process of a exhaust gasket replacement and broke one of the hard plastic tubes(while doing the water pump) and had no idea where the long rubber line coming off the end of the solenoid was attached to. The time and effort that went into this explanation is greatly appreciated. I have put of working on this car for 5 years. With the help of this site I may get it on the road in 05. KawKEN
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2005 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TTT
Doug Chase

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2005 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug ChaseSend a Private Message to Doug ChaseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't believe this is the first time I've seen this post. I guess I haven't been around much for the past few months.

Very nice work, BuddyCraigg. My hat's off to you.

------------------
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom roll cage and exhaust fabrication

PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2005 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CC Rider:

Buddy - it was me at WheatStock and by email that had replace the ECM Temp sensor. Well it's been a few months now and still no 32's.

Thanks for the work on this writeup - a big help in understanding the issue.

hey CC,
it's been 6 months now...
Has the temp sensor still seems to have fixed the problem for you?

CC Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2005 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So far - so good.

No codes since the change ~10k miles ago :^)

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2005 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
good to here.
i now list you as the one documented case where the temp sensor was causing the code 32.

as an update this evening.
you can short the two wires for the vacuum sensor to each other and this will stop the code 32 if you have a non working solenoid.

i completely unpluged mine tonight. and used a jumper wire on the harness to do a test. and i didnt get the code.

remove the jumper wire with it unplugged and i got a check engine light after about 10 minutes on the highway.

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2005 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13602 posts
Member since Jul 2002
so that disproves the suggestion that you will get a code 32 if the computer "sees" vacuum when it should not.

------------------
Buddy Craigg - there are two "G"s in my last name
Ling = 84SE-Modified
Julia C = 85GT stock (kinda)
Ivy = 67 Pontiac Catalina
KCFOG

CC Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One side benefit as well was, I was having a pinging issue along with the code 32.
Now that I replaced the ECM temp sensor the pinging has reduced dramatically.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2005 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
*mental note* listen for pinging if i get a code 32
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2005 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I just got a Code 32 and 35 on my Formula yesterday and found this thread. GREAT WORK!!!!!
Funny thing is, my car has been running GREAT lately. I'm assuming it's a vacuum leak since I've got both 32 and 35, and the extra air may be why it's running better - I don't know. Maybe my EGR was killing the performance?

Anyway, at least I know where to start looking. Thanks again for the great tech writeup and pics! This one is going into my Favorites.

El Guapo

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2005 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for El GuapoSend a Private Message to El GuapoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a code 32 and found the diaphragm on the EGR valve was torn. Replaced EGR and still had a code. Along with the code 32 my manifolds were glowing red. I replaced the solenoid with a Delco unit and the problem went away. Now for my question: There was no hose going to the nipple that the incoming vaccum line plugs onto (the one that goes to the little tube on the firewall). I have heard that some people do remove this tube anyway. Does it really need to be there?
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2005 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no
Strange Brew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2005 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Strange BrewSend a Private Message to Strange BrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the best & most clearly written and illistrated posts I've seen in any forum anywhere.....Plain and simply Excellent!!!

------------------
88 Fiero GT
85 Fiero SE
What’s Behind You Is Of Little Consequence

PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2005 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i wanted to do somemore testing.

i have been driving an 85 GT for about a month now with the solenoid unplugged and a "jumper" wire completing the circuit for the vacuum sensor all the time.

i have not had a code 32.

if i remove the wire i get a code after about 2 minutes on the highway.

aviator46

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2005 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aviator46Send a Private Message to aviator46Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buddycraigg, you hit a bullseye on this! I absolutely glad for this article. Read this you backyard know it alls! The man did an excellent service for our cause, I take my hat offf dude!!!
P.S. I'm printin this our for my records.
RGBaker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2005 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RGBakerSend a Private Message to RGBakerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread lead me to the solution for my code problem -- I replaced the solenoid with one know to work, and now I'm good to go.

What should I do with the old solenoid? Is it rebuildable? Worth opening up for repair ... or is it time for the bin?

Cheers,
GB

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post07-28-2005 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RGBaker:

This thread lead me to the solution for my code problem -- I replaced the solenoid with one know to work, and now I'm good to go.

What should I do with the old solenoid? Is it rebuildable? Worth opening up for repair ... or is it time for the bin?

Cheers,
GB

Can't lose anything by experimenting on it, and you might wind up with a fully functioning spare. I'd say, go fer it.

JazzMan

87convert

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2005 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87convertSend a Private Message to 87convertEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I routinely take my VOM to the junk yard when I go along with a couple of jumper wires and a hand held vacuum pump. There were a lot of GM cars made in the late 80s which used the same equipment packaged differently to control EGR. I am currentyly running an EGR control made up of such pars on my 86 and it works just fine. I usually pay about $10 at the PickAPart yards for each assembly and now have several spares.

Rolland

FieroVin

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2005 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroVinClick Here to visit FieroVin's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroVinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great write up. Thanks.
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2005 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
triker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2005 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trikerSend a Private Message to trikerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great write up! I just finished swapping a 3.4 into my 87 GT. It's running great but was showing an intermittent code 32 so I swapped my solenoid with a brand new one out of my 85. Then I get an intermittent code 14 (high coolant temp), even though my temp gauge says my temp is fine. I clean the connectors on the coolant sensor and then I get another code 32 with the new solenoid? This may be a second case of getting code 32 when it's the coolant sensor.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2005 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yep a bad coolant sensor will make the ugly code 32 pop up.
not to mention high idle and poor gas milage.
StuGood

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2005 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StuGoodSend a Private Message to StuGoodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent! Thanks so much for this write-up.
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2005 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
updated.
i added a vacuum line diagram to the first page.
Fiero_Adam

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2005 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I get how most of the system works. I have been reading because I have a code 32 myself and need to get it fixed. Tried a different solenoid that I had, but that didn't work. I guess it could be bad too, or it's something else causing the problem.
One thing I don't get, is how does a bad coolant temp sensor cause a code 32?

BTW, nice write up.

------------------

FORMERLY KNOWN AS: sqoach
(so, uh...yeah....I'm not a noob)
:p

Fiero_Adam

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2005 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
*bump*
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2005 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Adam:

cant explain that one

grgoyl86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2006 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grgoyl86Send a Private Message to grgoyl86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great work on this one.

I have another question. I just failed an emmissions test (NOX too high), and I have been getting an occasional code 32, so I assume there is a connection. Is that true? I need to get this car to pass emmissions, so I can get a GA plate on it before I get into trouble.

Thanks for any assistance.

JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-10-2006 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Read the whole topic.

Yes, the two are linked...

JazzMan

kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2006 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got a question. I know that to erase the codes stored in the computer, you have to disconnect the battery and wait etc, but what about for the check engine light coming on? If the code is stored, will the light come on when the problem would happen, regardless of if it still is happening, or is it only when the problem actually occurs?
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-11-2006 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The check engine light comes on when the problem is actually occuring. The ECM stores a code based on how it's programmed to react to different kinds of errors. Codes don't go away upon resolution of the problem that caused them to be set in the first place, though they will go away over time, a long time, if the problem doesn't reoccur. I don't know the exact algorithm the ECM uses to self-clear codes.

JazzMan

CC Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2006 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Adam:

I get how most of the system works. I have been reading because I have a code 32 myself and need to get it fixed. Tried a different solenoid that I had, but that didn't work. I guess it could be bad too, or it's something else causing the problem.

BTW, nice write up.

From the 1988 Fiero Service Manual
CODE 32 EXHAUSE GAS RECIRCULATION (EGR) CIRCUIT 2.8L "P" SERIES (PORT)
The duty cycle is calculated by ECM based on information from the coolant sensor, MAP sensor, and engine RPM.
Code 32 means that the EGR diagnostic switch was not detected closed under the following conditions:
Coolant temperature greater then specified amount.
EGR duty cycle commanded by the ECM is greater then 50%
Manifold pressure less then 25kPa. ( 7" vacuum.

All conditions above must be met for about 8 seconds.

Hope this helps explain the ECM Temp Sensor role.

------------------
Red 1988 GT 5 speed
Poly all around, Koni's & Lowered

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave