Started on: 10-26-2003 07:50 PM
Replies: 166 (18923 views)
Last post by: css9450 on 07-25-2023 08:14 AM
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2014 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have a better chance of it staying with spray can glues if you have a sunroof. The trim will help hold it up. You also usually wont see a problem till it gets hot outside...the spray can glue melts and down it comes.
IP: Logged
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
tiretread

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2019 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tiretreadSend a Private Message to tiretreadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a great write up. I just took my headliner out today with this tutorial. No issues. Much appreciation!
fredtoast

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-09-2023 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fredtoastSend a Private Message to fredtoastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tiretread:

This is a great write up. I just took my headliner out today with this tutorial. No issues. Much appreciation!

I wasted my time watching a few generic videos on Youtube. I just came back here to research any issues that might be specific to fieros and find this gem.
KennyG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2023 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KennyGSend a Private Message to KennyGEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to bump this with some info on my experience because I found this thread so helpful. I just replaced the headliner in my 88 with sunroof.

I got material with thin foam backing from Amazon. It does come folded with creases, but I hung it and steamed it several times and took most of the creases out. I used the 3M headliner adhesive. It's very grabby and I think will work well. My old liner came out in one piece but I coated it with fiberglass resin. I'm glad I did because I did have to reposition a small area where I had a crease. If the board wasn't coated, I think it would have torn the surface. The 3M grabs very quickly.

I did not add the glass fiber, just coated it with resin and I should have put glass cloth on the thin sections. As I was working the fabric into place it did crack on the sides. I reinforced it with thin sheet metal strips taped in place and it went back in fine.

I had the seats removed when I did the replacement and it made the removal and installation much easier. When I reinstalled the liner, I first draped a rope over the top of the car. When I got it in, I tied the ends of the rope together to hold it up. I noticed some people deleted the coat hooks and visors. I found they worked very well to locate and firmly hold the headliner in place before I reinstalled the lights and latch cover.

The tip to reinstall the liner before cutting the sunroof opening is great. After I attached the fabric, I turned it over and cut the outside edge and the edges of the light cutouts, leaving about an inch extra which I then sprayed with adhesive and folded over. After the board was back in, I carefully cut only enough to get the seal reinstalled. For some reason I found the sunroof seal would not go in if I tried to push it directly in. I found it only worked if I put the lower edge in first and then tapped it in with a small hammer. Not sure why it works that way, but it took me a bit to figure it out.

The worst part of this job is the plastic trim above the doors. I'm not sure how you can get those out without breaking some of the tabs. Mine are back in and staying in place, but I think the plastic interior trim is a long term problem with cars of this era.

I hope this helps some others.
fredtoast

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-24-2023 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fredtoastSend a Private Message to fredtoastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was going to delete my sun visors just because they looked so bad, but the Fiero headliner is so small that when I ordered a yard of material I ended up with plenty left over to recover my sun visors.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2023 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've posted this picture before but not in this thread. I like doing headliners.... It's kind of fun! I'm sure I'd think differently on most other cars though. The Fiero is actually pretty easy thanks to its small size and it's easy to get the board in and out of the car. I don't bother with removing the seats.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock