ignition starting to fail? by Oolab1
Started on: 08-02-2014 01:31 AM
Replies: 5 (115 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 08-03-2014 10:20 AM
Oolab1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2014 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure if this is electrical or what but I'm just guessing that's what it is. So lately as I've been starting her up I've noticed that I've been having to turn the key farther and farther and/or harder and harder. It's not gotten too bad yet but I just wanted to know if anyone knew what might be happening or if it's just a weird thing that'll go away with time or what. Figure I better check on it before something bad happens and I can't drive anymore.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2014 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I doubt it's electrical, it's probably the ignition switch being misaligned or loose (need to take off the panel under the column to check) or the ignition rod that is bending or misaligned. Need to tear the steering column apart to check that though.
Oolab1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2014 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok thanks. While I'm in there, would there be any way to maybe "realign" my steering wheel? At straight ahead the wheel is turned slightly to the right. Not a problem, just kinda annoying to look at.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oolab1:

Ok thanks. While I'm in there, would there be any way to maybe "realign" my steering wheel? At straight ahead the wheel is turned slightly to the right. Not a problem, just kinda annoying to look at.

Wheel alignment is what you need.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

longplaypg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longplaypgSend a Private Message to longplaypgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oolab1:

Are you certain nobody has torn the steering column apart?

When i received my fiero the steering wheel was off. I took it for new tires and a alignment. They got the steering wheel pretty close by adjusting at the wheels. All was fine until my steering column loosened up. I started the "lock tight" rebuild and noticed someone had forced the steering shaft lock to fix the alignment. When i got it all back together at the right spot and mounted in the car it was now off again in the opposite direction. If i would have fixed the steering column first all might have been spot on for the alignment. Now i need to go back and crank the alignment back to where it was for the steering to be proper again.

Otherwise Cebix and Fierosound are steering you in the correct direction

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As others have said the steering wheel centering is alignment thing and remember when you bring it in for an alignment make sure you tell them you want the steering wheel centered or they may not even lock the wheel in place before they do the alignment.

Now the ignition problem could just be a lose column problem as well, you should fix that first before taking it in for an alignment, and remember these cars need a 4 wheel alignment on them, not just a front end alignment. Sit in the car and see if the column moves when you push it forward or pull it backward or side to side. there are some bolts under the dash and column that hold it in place and they may have gotten lose from years of people doing things to the column. look at that first, then you can loosen the bolts holding the column in place and try pushing the column forward and see if that makes a difference with you ignition switch issue. now don't forget to tighten all those bolts back up when you are done or you can have even more problems. and while you are under the dash check the bolts that hold the ignition switch itself on the bottom of the column that is the actual electrical switch for the ignition, the one you put the key in is just one part of this.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 08-03-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock