Fule pump? by Jayfelt
Started on: 08-01-2014 10:24 AM
Replies: 10 (433 views)
Last post by: Jayfelt on 08-04-2014 09:32 PM
Jayfelt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JayfeltSend a Private Message to JayfeltEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, new to the fourms. I've had more questions to ask before this but this came more urgent. My 86 Feiro GT a few days ago wouldn't start. After two minutes of trying to get it going it finally started. Ran a day and a half perfectly fine then again out of know where wouldn't start. Turns over fine and no odd noises. Also battery is fine. I was told it could be either my fule pump or my relay. Want to know what you guys think.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forums! If you car starts after you build up oil pressure, you fuel pump relay is out. The relay is located on the firewall behind the air cleaner can. It is on a bracket with the a/c relay as well. Not sure which one is which but i'm sure someone will chime in.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Throwing parts at an older car is both expensive and frustrating.

Can you hear the fuel pump run? Do you have fuel pressure at the test port?

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 08-01-2014).]

Jayfelt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2014 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JayfeltSend a Private Message to JayfeltEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry guys, been busy working. So last night i got to finally somewhat start on the car. I can hear he fuel pump kick on and i finally found the relay. It was hanging upside down under the air filter. They seemed fine but pretty dirty inside so i cleaned the the connections. Still got nothing from the car. Cranks fine but still no start. Where is the fuel pressure port located?
hiwil88formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fuel pressure port is located on the passenger side of the motor under the brake booster line. It is located next to the map sensor. It might have a valve stem cap on it. Rent a fuel pressure gauge from wherever and report back.
Jayfelt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JayfeltSend a Private Message to JayfeltEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe this is the spot. Key turned im getting a 0 on the gage.
hiwil88formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the fuel pump fuse first. If it won't turn over when you are cranking the engine the relay is prolly fine. Does your fuel guage work? Make sure the fuel pump is plugged in. There is a yellow three prong plug on the firewall make sure it's connected. If everything is connected and the fuse is good it is time to drop the tank and replace the pump. While you are in there you can recalibrate the fuel sender.
Larry Nakamura

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry NakamuraSend a Private Message to Larry NakamuraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The first thing I always do when a Fiero won't start is try replacing the
ignition module and/or coil. As a Fiero owner, you should always carry
a spare of each as they are easily replaceable on the road and if either
goes out can leave you stranded.
Jayfelt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JayfeltSend a Private Message to JayfeltEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So i replaced the fuel pump and the new pump still wont turn on. All my results so far.
New battery .
Fuses are good.
Relay seems fine. Tested it with another in car.
Fuel pressure test resulted in 0.
Check wires, seemed all fine.
Changed fuel pump. Still not turning on.

What should i look into next? The ignition module wouldn't do anything with my fuel pressure would it?
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't replace anything else until you get the fuel pressure problem fixed. A fuel injected car can not 'run on the fuel in the carburetor". No fuel pressure will ALWAYS mean the engine won't run on it's own

So you never hear the fuel pump run? Is that correct? Do you have a 12v test light? A meter can work but the 12v test light is better.

When you said you can hear the fuel pump kick on, are you hearing it click or are you hearing it run? It needs to run. It will should like a whirring motor and anyone with normal hearing will hear it but if you are not sure take off the gas cap and listen right there. If you can't hear it run, it won't start.

Upside down fuel pump relays tend to collect water in the fuel pump relay socket. That tends to destroy the socket and causes the fuel pump not to turn on even with a good relay. Was the socket looking like crap when you unplugged the relay?

At the relay you should have +12v ALL THE TIME on the Orange/Black wire. This is key on or key off. If you have to scrape through the corrosion to get the meter/test light to make contact that is most likely your problem.

Ok if you can find +12v at the Orange/Black wire - Take a paperclip - open it up and use the paperclip to jump between the Orange/Black wire and the Tan/White wire (it make look more like Pink/White) at the socket. Does the fuel pump now run? It should.

The black goop in the relay socket base is ok. That is the crap GM used to try to keep the water out. It won't hurt and will help, but it really isn't anywhere as good as today's dielectric grease. If you cleaned the goop out be sure to replace it with the di-electric grease.

AND MAKE SURE TO HANG THE RELAY UPRIGHT!

If you are having a problem finding the relay locally hit me up at gofast@reddevilriver.com and I can sell you a good - used relay socket.

Also yes it is normal that either the Orange/Black or Tan/White wires may have two wires running to the relay socket.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 08-04-2014).]

Jayfelt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JayfeltSend a Private Message to JayfeltEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Funny you said that about the up side down relay. I found mine where to begin with and right before my car died it stromed really bad and i hit big puddles. So Figured i would test it with the relay next to it. Just now found out both are bad. Used a relay from the front of car and tested it and what do you know. Pump turned on. I just really hate myself for buying a new pump and takeing the tank off. Lmao oh well, guess I wont have to worry about that any time soon.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock