17 year old teenager 3800 build by Nick8434
Started on: 07-31-2014 02:04 PM
Replies: 22 (458 views)
Last post by: darkhorizon on 08-03-2014 11:54 AM
Nick8434

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nick8434Send a Private Message to Nick8434Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought my 87 gt on Tennessee last June with 200xxx miles on it since then I haven't had much money to put into the car but I did manage to make some. I bought a supercharged 3800 and planned on swapping that on but I just couldn't afford it so I just did a stock rebuilt on my 2.8 witch was my first engine I've ever rebuilt and it was a success. Well I got a job working at a automotive shop and therefore the 3800 built is back on. I haven't taken to many pictures yet but I will. I have the motor down to the block and an about to buy a few things for it so my plan is to have a low 12 high 11s fiero I think I'll be more towards the 12s when I'm done but either way I'll be happy. The engine is going to pretty much have a stock bottom end with an nic cam 3.0 pulley after cars tuned big throttle body ported heads ported intake ported and ported blower and possibly an intercooler but I really don't think I'll end up with the intercooler. There's other stuff that I know I'm not remembering. Here are a few pictures of the block.[/img][/img]
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Steve25

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve25Send a Private Message to Steve25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Low 12's to 11's is a pretty ambitious goal.

Here is what I did to get there:

Steve25: 12.087 @ 110.35mph ('88 GT / 3800SC, 3.0" pulley, NIC camshaft, headers / 4T65E-HD)

In addition to what you see there it had Comp Cams Hi-Tech rocker for a BBC that were modifed to use in the 3800. This required custom pushrods which were individually made for each lifter/rocker.

The lifters were Rhoads XLs.

It needed to have the Gen 3 SC case ported and a throttle body that would flow a little better. It seemed to be running out of breath before the trap.

Some more atttention to the spark curve and a 2.8 pulley would have helped too.
Nick8434

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nick8434Send a Private Message to Nick8434Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did you like the nic
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nick8434:

I did you like the nic

...That's a strange thing to say....!?
Nick8434

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nick8434Send a Private Message to Nick8434Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lol yes it is I meant to say did you like your nic cam was power good what did you like the most and stuff.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lol yes it is I meant to say did you like your nic cam was power good what did you like the most and stuff.

Perhaps a little punctuation should be added to your sentences for clarity...

e.g.

Lol. Yes, it is. I meant to say "Did you like your NIC cam? Was power good? What did you like the most?", and stuff.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought it was a question of sexual preference with a bit of misspelling in it.
Akghandi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AkghandiSend a Private Message to AkghandiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
good luck bro!

I'm in the same boat, i have 2 86's one with a built 2.8 and an auto(the project) and an 86 with a 3800 sc about 80% swapped in and a 5 spd(the parts car)
between the two I'll have a sweet little car.

I dont plan on making it the fastest car in the world but I'm going to make a few mods to make it a bit faster.
I'm going to be running the stock fiero 5 spd so i dont wanna push it too hard.

I'm also pretty young, 21 to be exact so i hope to see our projects progress together!
FieroTony

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Refreshing to see some young blood involved in [building] cars. Wish I could see that in my daughter's boyfriend (20), or my son in laws for the fact. A while ago I was fiddling with something on the Fiero engine. As he stops for a second, he proceeds to ask if it has 2 engines. Doesn't have a clue. I rebuilt the engine in the 66 Mustang last summer. Not once did he stop and look. At that age I would've been all over that, (vehicles that is).
Akghandi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkghandiSend a Private Message to AkghandiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroTony:

Refreshing to see some young blood involved in [building] cars. Wish I could see that in my daughter's boyfriend (20), or my son in laws for the fact. A while ago I was fiddling with something on the Fiero engine. As he stops for a second, he proceeds to ask if it has 2 engines. Doesn't have a clue. I rebuilt the engine in the 66 Mustang last summer. Not once did he stop and look. At that age I would've been all over that, (vehicles that is).

you know whats funny? my girlfriends dad likes to stop by and ask me questions when im workin on my cars. he used to be a mechanic but stoped some time in the 70s, so all my 80s cars a fascinating to him lol
Nick8434

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nick8434Send a Private Message to Nick8434Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All my friend don't know anything about cars. And I'm always constantly working on the. I mean my one friend didn't even know how to put air in his tires. I can never really explain to everyone what I'm doing to my car know one understands and that gets frustrating.
PFF
System Bot
don297

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for don297Send a Private Message to don297Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

All my friend don't know anything about cars. And I'm always constantly working on the. I mean my one friend didn't even know how to put air in his tires. I can never really explain to everyone what I'm doing to my car know one understands and that gets frustrating.

I feel the pain man I'm 16 and finishing up my 3800 swap, none of my friends know jack about cars, maybe just a few things like make and model but nothing serious. It's like I'm the only one at my high school with this hobby.

[This message has been edited by don297 (edited 08-01-2014).]

Nick8434

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nick8434Send a Private Message to Nick8434Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's truly sad. What did you do to your 3800?
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-01-2014 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroTony:

Forget them. Get the girls to work their own cars, and then they'll feel ashamed and try harder.
don297

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for don297Send a Private Message to don297Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's truly sad. What did you do to your 3800?

Dunno if that was for me but I've got all gaskets replaced, egr block off, 3.5" pulley, 4" CAI, got the parts for my 3" free flow exhaust with 2 bullets, I just need to weld it up. Relocated alternator. Most everything else is stock. I painted it all red and black and made it all spiffy though.
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by don297:

I feel the pain man I'm 16 and finishing up my 3800 swap, none of my friends know jack about cars, maybe just a few things like make and model but nothing serious. It's like I'm the only one at my high school with this hobby.

Wow 16, that's awesome, good to see.There is a lot of 3800 knowledge here, as you probably already know. Don't know why more aren't into the hobby with shows like Gas Monkey Garage and the like on the box.

I pulled the engine and trans out of my 62 Bonneville just shy of my 16th. The sight of that 389 with the dual coupling 4 speed hanging off the back way up in the air on a cherry picker is something I'll never forget. That was so much fun..dirty greasy fun...but fun none the less.

BR's,

Mark

------------------
86 SE V6 4 speed
86 SE V6 Auto
2008 G6 GT "Street" Coupe
2005 Buick 3.6 Rendezvous
2001 Olds Silhouette (AKA The Band Van)

Nick8434

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nick8434Send a Private Message to Nick8434Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don297 let me know how that exhaust sounds. And how was relocating the alternator?
don297

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for don297Send a Private Message to don297Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Don297 let me know how that exhaust sounds. And how was relocating the alternator?

Will do on the exhaust, hopefully I'll have it done by school starting. Alternator was a breeze, my engine was a 98 so it had the earlier larger alternator, the top part I made a bracket and mounted it to the bottom of the dogbone mount and the bottom part I bolted directly to the block with a few spacers so the belts alligned properly.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool to hear guys!

I did my 3800 swap about 8 years ago when I was 18. 3.4 pulley and some tires put me in front of all my buddies cars back then it was great fun and I drove it to school every day at 30+mpg.
Nick8434

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nick8434Send a Private Message to Nick8434Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
darkhorizon did you ever run your car with just the 3.4 pulley
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2014 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

darkhorizon did you ever run your car with just the 3.4 pulley

tons. My best time back then on full street tires.

PFF
System Bot
Nick8434

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2014 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nick8434Send a Private Message to Nick8434Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
darkhorizon that's not bad at all. How long did you stay supercharged before going turbocharged?
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

darkhorizon that's not bad at all. How long did you stay supercharged before going turbocharged?

Probably 3 or 4 years I think. Ive been turbo for the last 4 years. Going straight to a turbo would probably be a good idea if I was going to suggest someone that is trying to decide. Its not much more money and you can do it safely on almost all stock parts.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock