T top caps alignment? by Strappado
Started on: 07-17-2014 02:26 PM
Replies: 5 (163 views)
Last post by: Strappado on 07-19-2014 12:04 PM
Strappado

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StrappadoSend a Private Message to StrappadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just replaced my t top caps.... Actually I should say I have replaced one side of my t top caps.
The passenger side went well. Quick swap to replace the old cracked caps. The Driver side didn't fare so well.

The previous windshield pillar cap was broken, the peg hole snapped off. I figured it broke because it was brittle. So I slapped the new one on and broke the peg hole. The new caps came with a warning about misalignment but being the genius I am I wrecked it anyway.

Some jb weld later I'm ready to reinstall but I'm unsure how to adjust the bracket at the driver side windshield pillar.
My top it an aftermarket cc top.
Anyone delt with this problem?
Did you just bend the bracket ?

Thx
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jonathan2014

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jonathan2014Send a Private Message to jonathan2014Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump because I'm interested in knowing too
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you adjust the pin on the t top glass. the plastic trim is pulled off and you adjust the pin by sliding its little bracket:

3. Remove the plastic trim from the T-Top glass panels.

Remove the screws from the plastic T-Top glass trim. Open the handle into the full “open” position. Push the lock in(lock it), hold it down, and GENTLY pry the edge up over the lock and off the end furthest away from the handle. Once it slides over the end, it’s easy. It pops loose.

4. Align the T-Top glass slider bars with the new end caps

It is also important that you make sure the T-Top slider bar enters the holes in the end cap parallel to the direction of the pencil and not simply at a 90-degree angle to the face of the cap. It is easy to do this since you have removed the interior trim piece from the t-top, and installed the new end caps LOOSELY. Sit inside the car and install the T-Top glass. Visually inspect how the slider meets the end cap hole, and prepare to adjust the angle of the T-Top slider bar.

T-Top glass in position

5. Adjust the T-Top slider bars/rods and install the Tops.

You can adjust the position of the slider bars by loosening the two screws on each end of the t-top. Before you pull the handle, be sure the bar will slide into both end cap holes without binding. It may even be necessary to move (slightly twist) the top just a little and/or apply downward pressure as you pull the handle. In addition, a little Teflon grease either on end of the slider bar or inside the end cap hole will also help. Now, tighten the T-Top end caps. DO NOT overtighten the caps. Tighten them only enough to hold the correct alignment. You should always install the T-tops in this manner to avoid breaking the end caps. Never insert the tops and pull the handle until you are sure the alignment is correct.
Strappado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StrappadoSend a Private Message to StrappadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks smartaxel

hopefully this will be the end of whistling t tops for me
88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
whistling is usually the p-strip---are your p-strips worn (or still there?)

------------------
Pat Jones

Strappado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2014 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StrappadoSend a Private Message to StrappadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little worn. But I had to use no caps in a rain emergency leaving a large gap for air to get through

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock