speedometer wiring question by Apricot Punt
Started on: 07-13-2014 12:53 AM
Replies: 2 (148 views)
Last post by: phonedawgz on 07-13-2014 10:57 AM
Apricot Punt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2014 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Apricot PuntSend a Private Message to Apricot PuntEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

I've got an 88 GT I swapped a 327 SBC in with an Archie kit. Got everything working properly with exception to the speedometer. Speedometer will jump randomly up to 20 - 40 MPH and back down with the car stationary. Anybody ever seen this?

It tends to do it while reving the engine more so than just idling. Haven't been able to check if the speedometer functions while driving yet. I've tried a new speedometer sensor and did same thing. I did delete the cruise control, cut wires and shrink wrapped the loose ends. I did the same thing on my 87 GT that I previously had this Archie kit on, and all worked okay. I searched the forum and couldn't find the same symptoms that I have here. Next step I was going to check was to swap out speedometer gauge with a known good spare that I have. Any input appreciated.

thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2014 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It sounds like you've got either a faulty connection to the speedo gauge, a faulty gauge, or perhaps some electromagnetic interference being induced into the purple and yellow signal wires from the sensor, perhaps by running the sensor wires too close to something like ignition system components.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2014 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I'd try driving it first before replacing more components

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock