Need help with sunroof issues by FieroGTChile87
Started on: 07-06-2014 01:20 AM
Replies: 48 (1965 views)
Last post by: theogre on 01-28-2015 10:53 AM
FieroTony

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just throwing this out here. When I latch mine it will not fully seal as it should. Wind and driving water will get in. What I do every time I close/latch the sunroof is: Close it but not latch/lock it. I take my two fingers in the latch and push the whole glass assembly forward. It moves just a bit forward. You can feel and hear it move. Then she's sealed shut. No wind noise and no water leakage. Again, I have to do this every time I open or take off the sunroof, which is daily.

Good luck.
IP: Logged
fastblack

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

Did you try pressing it down without the latch being engaged to see if it sits correctly that way, or if it can be positioned correctly?

Yes, one of my previous pictures has me pushing down on it without it latched.
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, but is the latch actually detached from the glass when you did that?

did you know you can open most Fiero sunroofs by banging your fist on the glass right at the latch? It causes it to pop open. Used to do it to mine all the time.

[This message has been edited by Taijiguy (edited 07-10-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess its the angle of the picture I referred to. To me it looks like its on top of the seal towards the passenger side, and its jammed up in front of the glass on the drivers side. Your later pictures dont look like that though, so I dont know what to tell you. Id have to play with it in person I guess. Have you tried spraying some silicone on the seal all around and then putting the glass in....? I have had to do that on new RVs or on restoration jobs where I replaced seals, to get them to shut properly.
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2014 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

Yeah, but is the latch actually detached from the glass when you did that?

did you know you can open most Fiero sunroofs by banging your fist on the glass right at the latch? It causes it to pop open. Used to do it to mine all the time.

Yes and Yes

Roger: I've been living with this problem for about 6 years now, I'm pretty much used to it sadly. I'm sure I could use a few tips found here to create a better seal and stop the air leaking but I'd really like to find the root of the problem. 99.9% of the time I'm driving the car the sunroof is either open or out so like I said before, it's really not too big of a problem, just frustrating.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2014 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I run into little issues like that all the time that are just an annoyance that there seems to be no fix for. Still try spraying the seal with silicone, or just wiping some on it with a rag. Youll be surprised what it can do. Ive had RV doors or windows that wouldnt open or close on brand new units, and it fixed them until the 'newness' wore off.
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2014 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Take the front clips off and see how it lays. That will tell you beyond doubt if the problem is any kind of misshaping of the roof panel, which I seriously doubt. Something is interfering, it's just a matter of finding what and why.
alfman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for alfmanSend a Private Message to alfmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
anyone have any luck on solving this i have the same problem
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This doesn't seem to cover that latch parts can bend or sheet metal the latch is bolted to can belt down toward floor.

Examples...
Many saying to add spacers need to check the frame holes where captive bolts attach. Metal will bend at that spot.
Upper pot metal where you separate the latch to remove the roof is a known weak point. When damage, need new latch parts.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock