Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Anyone found an 88 Oil pressure sensor that works correctly?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyone found an 88 Oil pressure sensor that works correctly? by Dennis LaGrua
Started on: 07-03-2014 06:21 PM
Replies: 8 (349 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 07-04-2014 09:48 AM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the two times that I have purchased an 88 oil pressure sensor that I use for 3800 swaps, the sensors that were purchased looked physically the same but had a higher resistance that caused the oil pressure gauge to nearly peg at operating. Apparently the 88 Fiero sensor is made to different specs that the other GM cars that use this style sensor. Prepping a spare 3800SC now so can anyone lead me in the right direction?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cyrus88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've long forgotten what the 88 fiero oil pressure sensor looks like, but when I swapped an 97 LT1 in my car I used the LT1 oil pressure sensor and if I remember correctly, it had the same electrical properties as the fiero one. So, it works perfectly with my 88 fiero gauge.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cyrus88:

I've long forgotten what the 88 fiero oil pressure sensor looks like, but when I swapped an 97 LT1 in my car I used the LT1 oil pressure sensor and if I remember correctly, it had the same electrical properties as the fiero one. So, it works perfectly with my 88 fiero gauge.

thanks for the tip. Is the LT1 sensor a direct plug in fit?
Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought one back in the spring for my N* swap and it seems to work fine but I can't remember if I bought it state side or here in Canada.

[This message has been edited by Dave E Bouy (edited 07-03-2014).]

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been running the 88 style on my 2.8 for over 5 years with no problem. The older style was junk. They leaked water inside and the gauge kept pegging, etc. Somebody on here cut one open and it was pure rust inside. I've stuck with the 88 ever since and the needle is definitely rock steady now.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2014 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For a while, there were issues with the Fiero oil pressure senders being wired incorrectly, internally. I've heard this about the 88s and the earlier senders too.
This was a long time ago, however. I bought one a couple of years ago that seems to work correctly. (Other than sticking, and running the fuel pump until my battery was a doorstop.)

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-04-2014).]

cyrus88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2014 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

thanks for the tip. Is the LT1 sensor a direct plug in fit?

I don't remember what the fiero one looked like. But it's a single wire and if you want to use the one similar to the LT1's then just go the junkyard and get the whole wire/connector and sensor from a donor car.

By the way, both the fiero and LT1 pressure sensor are 0-90-Ohm full range.

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2014 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 1998 Bonneville gauge reads 0 - 40 - 120

The 1988 Fiero gauge reads -0 - 40 - 80

Yes the 3800 has higher oil pressure than the 2.8. Solution - Run a 1998 Bonneville sender. Your Fiero gauge won't peg high with the engine running. You will need a 4 wire oil pressure sender connector. The added fourth position will need to be wired to ground since the Bonneville sender doesn't ground the gauge sensor internally.

If anyone wants a new 4 pin oil pressure connector along with a black pigtail wire paypal me $7.00 (US addresses) at gofast@reddevilriver.com and I will send one.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 07-04-2014).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2014 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Appreciate all the suggestions and replies. It looks like the Bonneville oil pressure sensor is the best solution but as a stop gap measure, just ran some parallel resistance on the sensor line to ground to keep the gauge from pegging. Not ready for the latest 3800SC to be installed as yet as there is still an uncompleted project waiting before it.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock