Started on: 06-30-2014 10:18 AM
Replies: 3 (131 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 06-30-2014 03:21 PM
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have my 86SE in the shop for alignment. To the best of my knowledge of the car (14 years), it has never been wrecked. The shop cannot bring the right front within specification range due to the fact there are no more washers to move on the upper control arm. While talking with the shop owner, I found that the arm has 4 cupped washers and 8 flat washers of varying thicknesses. The control arm bolt kit I have on the shelf from The Fiero Store only has 2 cupped washers and 8 flat washer, all of the same thickness. These are planned for my 87.

My question is, what is the correct combination of washers? Two or 4 cupped washers? Eight washers of the same or varying thicknesses? What does your 84-87 Fiero have, assuming no mods have been done to your front suspension? Have too many washers been installed in my suspension, or is The Fiero Store kit incorrect?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cupped washers are for the bushings.
The flat washers are to adjust caster by stacking in front of, or behind, the upper control arm bolt sleeve.
OEM had washers of different thicknesses, the washers can be filed or ground if needed for precise adjustment.
I would also think the control arm could be tweaked a bit if need be, or the upper bolt sleeve ground off a bit.
Just make sure there is no fore/aft movement of the control arm when the upper bolt is tighter to proper torque.

TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those washers are for caster adjustment. How far out of spec is it?
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know how far out it is, but he said he can get it at the outer limits of the range, just not precise, by removing all the washers on one end and putting them on the other. He said it had 4 cupped washers in addition to the 8 washers. I expect that there are 2 cupped washers on the outside of each end. I don't see how one would work on the inside between the pivot and the control arm. I have Rodney's adjustable ball joints so that has helped.

The P22 only shows 2 cupped washers, but doesn't specify how many flat washers and of what thickness. They have the GM parts list and it appears that all necessary parts are there. Sounds like there may be a couple of extra cupped bushing retainers there, but that doesn't affect alignment since they're on the outside.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock